Duo ticket to Chester

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by callum112233, 25 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. callum112233

callum112233 Member

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Veteran Member

Northern only

4. callum112233

callum112233 Member

Thats a bugger. I hate the stopping service to Chester From Piccadilly.

5. exile

exile Established Member

Actually I don't think it's Northern trains only as such (I've had no trouble using them on TPE between Manchester and Warrington) but it's only available on routes priced by Northern which when it comes to Manchester to Chester amounts to the same thing ie via Knutsford only. Think of it as a scenic journey! And it will save you £12.80 on a return for 2.

6. raildude

raildude Member

Hi

You have to use Northern on the Duo because it says via Altrincham on the ticket :(

7. exile

exile Established Member

Well - yes - but if you can use them on non-Northern trains on other routes eg Liverpool-Manchester

8. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

What about when ATW divert via Altrincham during weekend engineering works?
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    What's annoying about the line on Saturdays is 156s never seem to pop-up like they do on weekdays.

9. 323235

323235 Established Member

156421 was on the line last Saturday

10. clagmonster

clagmonster Established Member

In this case, as the ticket is routed 'Altrincham' you must travel via Altincham. However, you may travel on services operated by Merseyrail Electrics, Hull Trains, Arriva Trains Wales, Virgin Trains, CrossCountry, TransPennine Express, East Coast or Northern Rail on this route (note that not all these operators can be sampled on a Manchester-Chester journey though), including Arriva Trains Wales for the Manchester-Stockport leg.

If an ATW train was diverted via Altrincham, the ticket would be perfectly valid.

11. callum112233

callum112233 Member

Thanks everyone. So it isn't that I have to use Northern rail with a duo, I just have to go via Stockport etc.

It's not that I mind going on that route, I just don't fancy getting stuck on a cramped 142 for an hour and a half stopping at every station.

I actually like going via Stockport. Whenever there is engineering works on the Newton-Le-Willows route, I try to make a point of going to Chester just so I can ride the longer Stockport route on a 175. The only stop Arriva take on this route is Stockport and then It's Chester. It's quite luxurious on a sunny day and nice scenery when the sun us shining too :D

12. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

It isn't all that pleasant for people on the line via Altrincham though. One day while waiting at Knutsford I saw an ATW 3 car 175 pass through in the Chester direction with about 50 people on board, which is around the same number that were waiting for the Manchester bound train. A 2 car 150 arrived at Knutsford for our service without about 80 people on boarding prior to arriving, so on departing it was almost one person per seat on a much less spacious unit.

13. raildude

raildude Member

Hi, there's no DUO on Liverpool to Manchester. Fortunately. Trains are very busy already!

I understand a Southport to Manchester DUO ticket is acceptable for travelling through Liverpool with though :)

14. mikeg

mikeg Member

Yes, the flow is priced by TPE so no Northern Duo tickets.

May be the case but you wouldn't be allowed to start short as breaking the journey is only allowed for connectional purposes on the outward leg.

15. John @ home

John @ home Established Member Fares Advisor

Such as ... walking from Moorfields to Lime Street?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.