• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Duplicate support masts at New Barnet station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Can anyone enlighten me as to why there are unused masts in and around New Barnet station on the ECML ? The one on the left of this photo, for example...

Attachments

• IMG_7280.JPG
    IMG_7280.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 167
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
It looks like it should have been used, is there anywhere else where there are power line supports on a platform (increases risk of climbing surely?)

Dixie

Hasn't the mast to the left got the return wire on it, probably due to the mast being situated on the platform.

I don't think so, it's an illusion. The contact wire appears to be attached to the post but it's not. I suspect that it is intended to replace the mast in the platform with the mast on the left, which looks a lot newer.

TimboM

Established Member
Could it be as simple as the mast on the left is a new one ready to replace the very rusty looking one on the right that's currently carrying the wires? The new mast would also have the benefit of not obstructing the platform.

This may also explain why @High Dyke didn't see it a few weeks ago (i.e. it wasn't there then)?

EDIT: No, scrap that theory... appears that they're not that new at all. And this question has been asked before a year or so ago but no concrete answer seemed to be forthcoming... https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/new-electrification-masts-at-new-barnet.136622/

najaB

Veteran Member
No, scrap that theory... appears that they're not that new at all. And this question has been asked before a year or so ago but no concrete answer seemed to be forthcoming... https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/new-electrification-masts-at-new-barnet.136622/
The theory still holds water - it will take a long time to get the posession that'll be needed to do the work and other jobs may have taken priority (think all the knitting problems that the ECML has had of late).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Definitely new, and definitely awaiting transfer of the wires over.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Would this be part of the long term work to make the ECML wires more robust, or is that only on the sections further north?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Would this be part of the long term work to make the ECML wires more robust, or is that only on the sections further north?

I was thinking the same thing. Slightly OT I know but if Middlesbrough ever got sparked up it would make sense to strengthen the wires around the Junction off the ECML at the same time. Similarly at southern end would make sense imho

Status
Not open for further replies.