• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Durham Coast post-Pacer withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
While I'm not against 150s being used within the North East as I have mentioned on the previous page, if suitably refurbished as stated by others, I view it as unlikely in reality that 150s would be moved to Heaton: While there's not a great deal of difference mechanically and operationally between a 150 and a 156, Heaton depot and North East area drivers and guards have many years of experience on 156s (admittedly as I say there's a lot of common components between the two) and the units are already there.

Plus, there are still a large number of 142s that need replacing on routes radiating out of Sheffield and Manchester which won't be covered by new class 195s and are commuter based, so better suited to 150s, and I'm not sure what other routes you would consider better covered by 156s (Off the top of my head, 153 diagrams on the Cumbrian Coast could usefully be covered by156s).

I largely agree with that although perhaps for slightly different reasons. Most of the runs that will be or might be resourced from Heaton are more rural with relatively long journeys for which a reasonable standard of interior comfort is important. I'd say only the Saltburn line is a possible exception and even that is arguable. On the other hand nearly every Northern diagram further south that isn't a Connect will be relatively short-distance or having to deal with commuter peaks or both, where the layout of the 150 offers a real benefit in shorter dwell times and more standing space. I think, donning tin hat, that this makes it more likely Heaton will stick with 156s alongside its 158s, and the 150s will cluster around Manchester and Leeds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Plus, there are still a large number of 142s that need replacing on routes radiating out of Sheffield and Manchester which won't be covered by new class 195s and are commuter based, so better suited to 150s, and I'm not sure what other routes you would consider better covered by 156s (Off the top of my head, 153 diagrams on the Cumbrian Coast could usefully be covered by156s).

Northern will have 150s coming out of their ears when the additional ones arrive (just like 142s currently are.) Don't forget a number of routes 142s and 150s are used on in the North West are getting electrified so that'll replace some Pacers and release some 150s to replace others even before the extra 150s are considered.

Ah, so TWO trains each way per day, with one return journey at an amenable hour, then?

So you're bemoaning an arrival in London just after 09:00, yet an arrival at or just after 09:00 in London on a direct train is something numerous large towns would like.

sprinterguy

Established Member
So you're bemoaning an arrival in London just after 09:00, yet an arrival at or just after 09:00 in London on a direct train is something numerous large towns would like.
I'm bemoaning nothing in this instance, but questioning the relevance of such a service to the few that use it (AFAIK, perhaps it's proved more popular than I know), compared to the limited benefit it represents to the majority of passengers who use the Durham Coast route which is, after all, the topic of this thread.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Northern will have 150s coming out of their ears when the additional ones arrive (just like 142s currently are.) Don't forget a number of routes 142s and 150s are used on in the North West are getting electrified so that'll replace some Pacers and release some 150s to replace others even before the extra 150s are considered.
There still seems to me, after the 25 x 2-car and 30 x 3-car class 195s and the routes they will be allocated to have been considered, gaps after just over 100 Pacers have been withdrawn that would be better suited to 150s compared to the longer distance 158s which are also likely to be available in numbers. Essentially I have no more idea than the next man as to Northerns' future plans for its' extensive Sprinter fleet, just my own speculative curiosity.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
There still seems to me, after the 25 x 2-car and 30 x 3-car class 195s and the routes they will be allocated to have been considered, gaps after just over 100 Pacers have been withdrawn that would be better suited to 150s compared to the longer distance 158s which are also likely to be available in numbers. Essentially I have no more idea than the next man as to Northerns' future plans for its' extensive Sprinter fleet, just my own speculative curiosity.

How many Heaton 142s do Northern have compared to the number of 158s required for the Northern Connect service?

You also need to remember the 16 x 170s which will run Southport-Leeds and Leeds-Harrogate-York, plus like I said some EMUs will replace 142s and 150s on some routes - most Blackpool North services and all Manchester-Bolton-Preston, Manchester-Hazel Grove services which don't continue to Buxton.

sprinterguy

Established Member
How many Heaton 142s do Northern have compared to the number of 158s required for the Northern Connect service?
Thirty seven 142s at Heaton, around half of which are used on North East diagrams. I don't suppose the Northern Connect services will require that many 158s, for hourly services: Newcastle - Carlisle takes 90 minutes (potentially being reduced to 80, for the faster services), so with layovers might account for 4 units, and Middlesbrough to Newcastle via the ECML will certainly be no slower, so perhaps the same again. Around ten units in total if you throw in a couple of maintenance spares, although I don't think that there's anything against Arriva utilising more 158s on services other than Northern Connect in the North East.

pemma

Veteran Member
Thirty seven 142s at Heaton, around half of which are used on North East diagrams. I don't suppose the Northern Connect services will require that many 158s, for hourly services: Newcastle - Carlisle takes 90 minutes (potentially being reduced to 80, for the faster services), so with layovers might account for 4 units, and Middlesbrough to Newcastle via the ECML will certainly be no slower, so perhaps the same again. Around ten units in total if you throw in a couple of maintenance spares, although I don't think that there's anything against Arriva utilising more 158s on services other than Northern Connect in the North East.

While Arriva have said the Northern Connect 158s will get a higher standard of refurbishment I think putting lots of 158s on lots of services in the North East/Cumbria will mean passengers won't see much difference if they are travelling on a Northern Connect service or not, which kind of defeats the point of a premium brand.

I think it's a bit strange they said Leeds/Settle-Carlisle will retain 158s but not become Northern Connect while Middlesbrough-Carlisle will get Northern Connect 158s. The only obvious reason I can think for that is Neville Hill will have a fleet of non-Northern Connect 158s and Heaton will have a small fleet of Northern Connect 158s and mixed fleets will make diagramming too difficult.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
While Arriva have said the Northern Connect 158s will get a higher standard of refurbishment I think putting lots of 158s on lots of services in the North East/Cumbria will mean passengers won't see much difference if they are travelling on a Northern Connect service or not, which kind of defeats the point of a premium brand.

I think it's a bit strange they said Leeds/Settle-Carlisle will retain 158s but not become Northern Connect while Middlesbrough-Carlisle will get Northern Connect 158s. The only obvious reason I can think for that is Neville Hill will have a fleet of non-Northern Connect 158s and Heaton will have a small fleet of Northern Connect 158s and mixed fleets will make diagramming too difficult.

It really needs some sort of distinctive livery if the same type of stock (with different interiors) is to be used on both.

As for Leeds-Carlisle, there is only one service in each direction that doesn't call at nearly every station north of Skipton, and diagramming these for the same unit out and back would be very inefficient, so it wouldn't work to have a "Connect" unit doing just those duties. The alternative would be to brand the whole service as "Connect", but it doesn't seem appropriate for something that serves so many very small stations.

pemma

Veteran Member

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Arriva seem to have decided all services between Hebden Bridge and Bradford should be Northern Connect.

All stations on this section are also served by at least one non-Connect service, and a few smaller stops at relatively busy stations aren't quite the same thing as making multiple calls at places as remote as Dent.

Bevan Price

Established Member
That's what I'd be putting money on (without any pretence of insider knowledge etc).

Simple logic:

• Heaton operated routes require more than one type of stock (given the "fast" Newcastle - Carlisle services and the "metro" Saltburn services)
  • It's probably not sufficiently large to justify three or more types of stock (given economies of scale)
  • 158s are coming to the "fast" Carlisle services, it seems unnecessary to have both 156s and 158s at the same depot, so I'd guess at 150s to offer something more suitable to Saltburn services

...therefore put the remaining 158s on services where the 90mph will be useful (anything via Durham, anything to Morpeth) and the remaining routes (Durham Coast, Whitby) are probably going to be a mixture of 150s and 158s.

A 156 doesn't offer much that you can't get from a 150/ 158 but brings the complication of a third type of unit - better to stockpile 156s somewhere west of the Pennines instead where they will be more use.

After electrification, would there be enough work for 47 Class 156 west of the Pennines?

pemma

Veteran Member
All stations on this section are also served by at least one non-Connect service, and a few smaller stops at relatively busy stations aren't quite the same thing as making multiple calls at places as remote as Dent.

Leeds/Bradford-Airport/Liverpool/Chester will all be Connect services as will York-Blackpool. Southport-Leeds via Dewsbury will not be a Connect service but will be operated by a similar standard of rolling stock (170s) and the stations will all be Connect standard with refreshments available for purchase and extended opening hours. Although Huddersfield-Bradford will almost certainly be operated by Sprinters.
After electrification, would there be enough work for 47 Class 156 west of the Pennines?

Well it's going to depend how many Sprinters of other classes are used west of the Pennines. The North West will certainly need a lot more than 47 x 2 car Sprinters overall. Don't forget a lot of diesel routes will get extra services and/or more strengthened services. Buxton services alone must use around 8 x 2 car units at peak times by the time most services are 4 cars and that'll increase as a result of the extra services being introduced.

lejog

Established Member
Leeds/Bradford-Airport/Liverpool/Chester will all be Connect services as will York-Blackpool. Southport-Leeds via Dewsbury will not be a Connect service but will be operated by a similar standard of rolling stock (170s) and the stations will all be Connect standard with refreshments available for purchase and extended opening hours. Although Huddersfield-Bradford will almost certainly be operated by Sprinters.

Only Rochdale, Todmorden, Hebden Bridge, Sowerby Bridge, Halifax and Bradford Interchange will be "Northern Connect" stations - i.e. Sowerby Bridge is the only station to get a new ticket office, despite trhe fact that only one of the Northern Connect services will regularly call there.

It is not yet known whether the Southport to Leeds service is routed via Dewsbury all of the day - the interactive maps show and the TSRs allow it to be routed via Bradford part of the day.
Arriva seem to have decided all services between Hebden Bridge and Bradford should be Northern Connect.

Is this type of service: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y91690/2016/04/26/advanced

really any more of a stopper than: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y22729/2016/06/04/advanced ?

The Calder Valley service you link to appeared in the first draft of the reworked May 2014 as running fast between Todmorden and Rochdale, as with other Bradford to Victoria services. The intermediate stops were reintroduced only after protests from user groups and the PTEs to provide a couple of direct rush hour flows between Smithy Bridge, Littleborough and Walsden to Halifax and Bradford. It is possible that this link may be provided post 2019 by the Southport service running via Bradford in peak hours.
Anyway while I really don't know why Calder Valley services or even Carlisle-Settle services are being discussed on this thread, I think the decision as to whether or not a service is Northern Connect or not is little to do with the size of stations, number of calls etc but overwhelmingly whether or not it will provide a worthwhile return on investment in terms of increased passenger revenues.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
That's what I'd be putting money on (without any pretence of insider knowledge etc).

Simple logic:

• Heaton operated routes require more than one type of stock (given the "fast" Newcastle - Carlisle services and the "metro" Saltburn services)
  • It's probably not sufficiently large to justify three or more types of stock (given economies of scale)
  • 158s are coming to the "fast" Carlisle services, it seems unnecessary to have both 156s and 158s at the same depot, so I'd guess at 150s to offer something more suitable to Saltburn services

...therefore put the remaining 158s on services where the 90mph will be useful (anything via Durham, anything to Morpeth) and the remaining routes (Durham Coast, Whitby) are probably going to be a mixture of 150s and 158s.

Of course they might leave Class 158 maintenance at Neville Hill, exchanging units at Carlisle with some S&C services. Also, it makes sense to retain some Class 156 at Heaton if the Scotrail Glasgow - Carlisle - Newcastle services are being retained (& still operated by 156s), since Heaton crews will need to retain traction knowledge for class 156.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Also, it makes sense to retain some Class 156 at Heaton if the Scotrail Glasgow - Carlisle - Newcastle services are being retained (& still operated by 156s), since Heaton crews will need to retain traction knowledge for class 156.

I wonder how the Glasgow trains will fit into the service pattern. Logically as longer-distance trains they should be the in the faster path, but 156s don't meet the spec for Connect. Will they not advertise those ones as Connect, or run them as slows, or try to persuade the Scots to use a 158 instead?

SeanG

I wonder how the Glasgow trains will fit into the service pattern. Logically as longer-distance trains they should be the in the faster path, but 156s don't meet the spec for Connect. Will they not advertise those ones as Connect, or run them as slows, or try to persuade the Scots to use a 158 instead?

The current early morning Glasgow service stops at the majority of stations on the Tyne Valley line though

tbtc

Veteran Member
Over 400,000 journeys are made to/from Altrincham a year by heavy rail for connections with Metrolink or journeys where Metrolink can't be used. For instance, most of the school/college traffic from Altrincham is to Hale and Knutsford, while Metrolink doesn't run to Stockport and Chester.

The oldest M5000s are now 7 years old. Don't forget the brand new tram-trains which are being delivered for Rotherham-Sheffield and if the trial is successful it might lead to more being ordered. ;) However, if we're going to count light rail should we also consider how modern vehicles used on bus services are?

Okay, so the average age of the vast majority of rail departures from Altrincham (ten out of twelve per hour, based on current timetables) are roughly four years old...

...and the average age of light rail vehicles in South Yorkshire will still be around twenty years old, even when the seven new vehicles are introduced alongside the existing twenty five that date back to 1994.

I wont mind 150's on the DCL as long as they're refurbished to a good standard with 2+2 seating. It's just still a bit annoying that the North East seems to be the dumping ground for the worst stock combined with a historically poor service when we actually have some large and densely populated conurbations within a short distance of each other.

If we do lose the 156's though that will be a sad day for me! A big part of my childhood being taken on one to Newcastle most Saturday's in the early 90's.

Good points

While I'm not against 150s being used within the North East as I have mentioned on the previous page, if suitably refurbished as stated by others, I view it as unlikely in reality that 150s would be moved to Heaton: While there's not a great deal of difference mechanically and operationally between a 150 and a 156, Heaton depot and North East area drivers and guards have many years of experience on 156s (admittedly as I say there's a lot of common components between the two) and the units are already there.

I largely agree with that although perhaps for slightly different reasons. Most of the runs that will be or might be resourced from Heaton are more rural with relatively long journeys for which a reasonable standard of interior comfort is important. I'd say only the Saltburn line is a possible exception and even that is arguable. On the other hand nearly every Northern diagram further south that isn't a Connect will be relatively short-distance or having to deal with commuter peaks or both, where the layout of the 150 offers a real benefit in shorter dwell times and more standing space. I think, donning tin hat, that this makes it more likely Heaton will stick with 156s alongside its 158s, and the 150s will cluster around Manchester and Leeds.

I can see the logic in keeping 156s to go with the 158s; as someone with family in County Durham I’d like that area to have a decent fleet (and I wouldn’t want to have to schlep all the way to Saltburn on a 150 – I dislike 150s about as much as I love summer jaunts to Saltburn).

I just can’t see the Heaton fleet justifying three different DMU types (not big enough to warrant it) and I’d be surprised if they got the best of both worlds (essentially swapping 142s for refurbished 158s, with nothing downgraded). Good if it happens, don’t get me wrong, but usually these cascades tend to come at a price, if history is anything to go by – it’d be nice to be wrong though!

156s on the Saltburn stoppers would seem a relative luxury, given the “middle distance” services that will be 150 operated under the new franchise (which will presumably include routes like Liverpool to Manchester, Manchester to Sheffield, Sheffield to Leeds...).

There’s going to be a lot of 150s arriving, but not a lot of “short distance” services for them to be confined to. With Manchester – Wigan being electrified (and Manchester – Oldham replaced by trams a few years ago), the new franchise won’t have many “short distance” services. Dump 150s on shorter routes like the Ormskirk shuttle, the Kirby shuttle, the New Mills services (albeit some of which run through to Sheffield) but that’s a still drop in the ocean compared to the increased number of these DMUs). I can’t believe that 150s won’t end up on the Saltburn – Darlington – Bishop Auckland line (if that makes sense).

Good question.

I’d expect there’ll be enough to keep a large fleet of 156s busy – whilst we’ll see some Pacers/153s replaced by 150s, there are certainly a few “middle distance” routes west of the Pennines that currently see 142/153s on at least some duties– Cumbrian Coast, Southport, Mid-Cheshire, Hope Valley (which is a “west” route, even if Hope is east of the Pennine Way). Some of these will also see frequency increases (compared to today’s timetable), as will existing 156-dominated routes like the Buxton corridor. Then there are the routes that may not see timetable changes, but need doubled up units.

I personally think that 156s would be better suited to the Blackpool South route – a lot of money along the coast – the route needs upgrading beyond just a 150 – but its let down by the Colne side of the route (which a 150 would be fine on).

The electrification and the new DMUs will certainly make an impact, but (given the large number of 142s and 153s to replace), I think the full 156 fleet could be accommodated west of the Pennines. That said, there are a number of “middle distance” services east of the Pennines that currently see Pacers where I don’t think a 150 would be enough of an upgrade (Sheffield to Leeds via Dearne Valley, Sheffield to Leeds via Castleford, Sheffield to Huddersfield, Sheffield to Scunthorpe), so I think we’ve a long way to go until we can afford to put 156s on all Saltburn diagrams. No disrespect to the good people of Cleveland, of course, I just think that the service to Darlington is more of a “150” route (whilst there’s no shortage of routes elsewhere in “Northernland” for 156s).

That said, the whole “What Will Northern Use Where” debate is a messy one. For example, they could have three different types of very similar DMUs (100mph with “commuter” doors and no corridor connections) with the 170s/ 185/ 195s, but the need to spread the 195s thinly on “premium” services means they’ll presumably have multiple versions of similar DMUs at the same depot which seems wasteful.

The more I think about it, the less I like the way that the new stock is going to be spread around to tick a box so that each city* gets one "new" train an hour, rather than the operational efficiency of having a big stock of new trains at one depot.

(* - with the obvious exceptions of the cities of Sunderland and Newcastle :()

Of course they might leave Class 158 maintenance at Neville Hill, exchanging units at Carlisle with some S&C services. Also, it makes sense to retain some Class 156 at Heaton if the Scotrail Glasgow - Carlisle - Newcastle services are being retained (& still operated by 156s), since Heaton crews will need to retain traction knowledge for class 156.

Good points re the GSW duties - I *think* that 158s can't work that route through Kilmarnock, though can't remember if there's a genuine clearance issue somewhere (with the doors?) of if this is one of these "never applied for clearance as it was never needed" paperwork issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.