• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Durham to Manchester via Blackburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJSOnline

Hi all. I am travelling this Thursday from Durham to Blackburn and staying one night there. Then from there travelling to Manchester Pic on Friday but coming back Sunday from Manchester Pic to Durham.

Any idea of what routing would be the best ?

DRH > BBN
BBN > MAN
MAN > DRH

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
Depends - are you only asking for the best routes, that is, the fastest/least busy/most comfortable journey, or are you also looking to save money on buying a ticket? For example, a Durham to Manchester Super-Off Peak Return is valid via Blackburn, with a break of journey - so you can use it to travel to Blackburn and then to travel from Blackburn to Manchester - and is £3 cheaper than a Durham to Blackburn ticket.

If it is just routes then the journey is not very complicated: travel from Durham to York or Leeds - all southbound trains stop at York, whilst Transpennine Express trains or Cross Country trains towards the South West (NOT the trains which terminate at Reading/Southampton) go to Leeds. Then, take a Northern Rail train in the direction of Blackpool North, which will take you to Blackburn. Blackburn to Manchester is a direct train, takes 50 minutes. Manchester to Durham can be done directly, at 21 minutes past the hour every hour, or just take any TransPennine Express service that goes via York (those to Hull, Scarborough, Middlesborough) and change for Durham there.

Last edited:

MJSOnline

Depends - are you only asking for the best routes, that is, the fastest/least busy/most comfortable journey, or are you also looking to save money on buying a ticket? For example, a Durham to Manchester Super-Off Peak Return is valid via Blackburn, with a break of journey - so you can use it to travel to Blackburn and then to travel from Blackburn to Manchester - and is £3 cheaper than a Durham to Blackburn ticket.

Hi. I don't mind as long as I can take a break in the travel and of course saving money would be a bonus.

As I understand it, and I am no expert on this, but the train does go via Preston, but does cost a few pounds more, but I don't mind that as I know the station very well.

Thank you.

cuccir

Established Member
The fastest way to do the journey is as I outlined above (I realise that I put that in after you replied, or at least whilst you were replying!)

A Durham - Blackburn ticket is NOT valid via Preston, and neither is a Durham-Manchester ticket. Furthermore, that is not the fastest route!

A Durham-Manchester stations super-off peak return allows you to travel as described above, for £54.90 presuming that you don't want to leave Durham before 7am on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.