• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dusseldorf airport - onward trains to Frankfurt (Hbf)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I need to book a train from Dusseldorf Airport towards Frankfurt (and back) for travel the week after next, (direct Frankfurt airfares were silly money).

Can anyone with prior experience please tell me which booking site(s) they use please? The 'Trainline' allows this route, but I don't know if it's the best bet as there are not so many features?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Olympian

I'd go on DBs own website. I've used it lots of times, easy to use and understand.
Agreed, definitely the best way to book rail rickets in Germany. Their App is great too for loading purchased tickets onto.

Just be careful whereabouts at the airport you book from as there’s both the main Flughafen station for longer distance trains - reached by Skytrain monorail from the terminals - and also Flughafen Terminal with local trains direct to Dusseldorf HBF. The Skytrain isn’t free, and sometimes has slow queues for tickets, but if you want to go that way then book from Dusseldorf Flughafen Terminal station via Dusseldorf Flughafen and it’ll route you to/from “Flughafen Terminal A/B” with Skytrain included.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Agreed, definitely the best way to book rail rickets in Germany. Their App is great too for loading purchased tickets onto.

Just be careful whereabouts at the airport you book from as there’s both the main Flughafen station for longer distance trains - reached by Skytrain monorail from the terminals - and also Flughafen Terminal with local trains direct to Dusseldorf HBF. The Skytrain isn’t free, and sometimes has slow queues for tickets, but if you want to go that way then book from Dusseldorf Flughafen Terminal station via Dusseldorf Flughafen and it’ll route you to/from “Flughafen Terminal A/B” with Skytrain included.

I think the SkyTrain is free with a valid rail ticket to Düsseldorf Flughafen but I could be wrong.

Spoorslag '70

I think the SkyTrain is free with a valid rail ticket to Düsseldorf Flughafen but I could be wrong.
I belive it is not (only if the ticket is valid to/from Düsseldorf+City cf. https://www.dus.com/de-de/an-und-abreise/skytrain).

The easiest option (especially when consindering the lack of through trains from Düsseldorf Flughafen to Frankfurt) is to book from Flughafen Terminal (which is directly beneath the terminal building) to Frankfurt (S11 to Düsseldorf and ICE or whatever from there). Least hassle IMHO.

I would use bahn.de (it can also be used in English and has no booking fees other platforms might have).

Definitely go with bahn.de. Expedia/Trainline will charge more anyway and can't really cope with German advance fares. If you download DB's app, the ticket will load up there very easily. Much, much better than the ongoing chaos of M- and E-ticket uploading (or not!) into the UK TOCs' apps!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Brilliant information thanks, however, things have moved-on a bit and I'm considering using the Eurostar via Brussels all the way from Liverpool Lime Street if possible (I detest Manchester airport)?

I looked at a couple of sites late last night after my original post (but before anyone had replied), and non of them seem to offer any "discount" for the VTWC leg from Lime St to Euston (the St. Pancras - Germany bit seems easy enough)?

So my new plan is:

28th Oct - Liverpool Lime St. - Euston - St Pancras - Brussels - Frankfurt - Darmstadt, (arriving in Darmstadt no later than say 23:00/00:00)
31st Oct - return via same route (arriving at Lime St. same day) leaving Darmstadt no sooner than 12:00 if possible

Any suggestions, I really fancy this trip even if just for the novelty value after flying regularly for the last 30 years. I'm normally time critical, but not in this case.

Edit: Just put in a fare request on the bahn.de website. The only stumbling block is they state up to 8 days for the tickets to arrive (post shown as only option), and this would possibly scupper the deal (only 5 working days before departure)?

Last edited:

Pete 1981

When did they start charging for the sky train? I used it in May and there was no requirement to buy a ticket.

blackfive460

Edit: Just put in a fare request on the bahn.de website. The only stumbling block is they state up to 8 days for the tickets to arrive (post shown as only option), and this would possibly scupper the deal (only 5 working days before departure)?

How about buying a three day Global Interrail pass?
That will get you all the way from Liverpool to Euston on day 1, you'll need a passholder fare, less than £30 (print at home ticket from https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish) and you'll be valid all the way to Darmstadt from Brussels though not on Thalys without buying another passholder fare. Likewise coming back on Day 3. The pass will cost you about £200 or a little less if you're 'senior'.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
why isn't bahn.de offereing a print at home ticket for STP to Darmstadt, I'm currently on a very similar trip to Bensheim which is just down the road. Have you selected a Thalys from Brussels to Cologne or an ICE from Brussels to Frankfurt

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
why isn't bahn.de offereing a print at home ticket for STP to Darmstadt, I'm currently on a very similar trip to Bensheim which is just down the road.

No idea as I've never looked into this before, (always flown previously). I know Bensheim very well, (I've stayed in the Hotel Bacchus a few times).

Have you selected a Thalys from Brussels to Cologne or an ICE from Brussels to Frankfurt

The route I've chosen is Brussels - Frankfurt ICE.

How long does bahn.de take to respond to a fare request normally?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi - given your changed plans well worth a read of seat61 relevant pages for travel through to Germany, if you have not prev done so

https://www.seat61.com/Germany.htm
Also note what he says about booking to 'London International CIV' from your UK origin point.

I'd book the eurostar that has good connection to DB ICE from Brussels (eg the 11.04 from Sty P which I took last week to Koln) - works well.

Book with DB website if you can (the ticket got e-mailed to me - can show on your phone and print off too - which I did as a back up). DB held the connection at Brussels as we were slightly delayed in.

By booking on DB website they have a good seat selector tool for your reserved seat on the ICE, which was useful.

If you don't like the DB booking site I'd try Loco2 (but they charge a modest booking fee) - it's a very simple site to use so you may consider that worth it (but DB is pretty simple too)

Seat 61 also has pre set links to DB site for the trains he recommends (so the journey is all set up for you as it were, just click 'buy'), but if you need onward destination beyond that you could alter it, or if you have time at change of trains point in germany go tot he ticket office or a tickt machine for your 'last leg'.

WesternLancer

Established Member
How long does bahn.de take to respond to a fare request normally?

was instant when I did it online - if this is not working for you DB has a UK call centre still I think - you can ring up and ask.

From the Seat61 How to Buy tickets section: (lots more on there ref buying on line of course, but if you want to ring them)

from down the page, after the suggested train times
https://www.seat61.com/Germany.htm

How to buy tickets by phone...
  • To book by phone, call Deutsche Bahn's UK telesales line on 08718 80 80 66 (lines open 09:00-20:00 Monday-Friday, 09:00-13:00 Saturdays & Sundays, no booking fee, 2% credit card charge).

WesternLancer

Established Member
How about buying a three day Global Interrail pass?
That will get you all the way from Liverpool to Euston on day 1, you'll need a passholder fare, less than £30 (print at home ticket from https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish) and you'll be valid all the way to Darmstadt from Brussels though not on Thalys without buying another passholder fare. Likewise coming back on Day 3. The pass will cost you about £200 or a little less if you're 'senior'.

Yes, useful info on that option from seat 61 is

Using an InterRail pass - cheapest option for a round trip at short notice...
If you can book well in advance, advance-purchase tickets are the cheapest & easiest way to make this journey. But at short notice if regular fares exceed €140 or so each way, it can be cheaper to use an InterRail pass for a round trip from the UK to Berlin and back. The pass will also cover your UK domestic train between your home station & London.

Step 1, buy a 3-days in 1-month InterRail pass from www.myinterrail.co.uk. It will need to be posted to you, but can be sent Royal Mail Special Delivery overnight. See InterRail pass prices and learn more about how InterRail passes work on the InterRail page.

Step 2, in addition to the pass you need to pay for a Eurostar passholder fare from London to Brussels and back on the dates you want. See prices & how to buy Eurostar passholder fares online. You print these tickets out. Tip: As passholder availability is limited, I recommend that you check Eurostar passholder availability before buying a pass, although you will need the pass number before you can buy.

Step 3, reservations between Brussels and Berlin are optional, you can just sit in any empty unreserved seat and show your pass when asked. However, it's a good idea to make seat reservations for long journeys, you can reserve seats for around €4.50 each way at www.bahn.de by entering Brussels to Berlin and clicking the Seat only (no ticket) link at the bottom of the page, to the left of the red search button.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
OK, I can see how to book the London St Pancras - Darmstadt on bahn.de and get an electronic ticket (€259.80 return) - Can I buy a 3 month Bahn card for €19.90 to discount this (how do I physically "get" the card)?

Still not sure how to get the VTWC leg included at a discount (all inclusive) with the above though (sorry for being thick).

WesternLancer

Established Member
OK, I can see how to book the London St Pancras - Darmstadt on bahn.de and get an electronic ticket (€259.80 return) - Can I buy a 3 month Bahn card for €19.90 to discount this (how do I physically "get" the card)?
Still not sure how to get the VTWC leg included at a discount (all inclusive) with the above though (sorry for being thick).
Can't help with the former - but for the latter, Loco2 may sell it all as 'through' but that might not be best option price wise.

I think you need to look for a Liverpool to 'London International CIV' Advance discounted fare which I see VTWC in theory offer.

shown on this link if it works to the correct part of the database
http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=LIV&dest=LNE

read about them here
Summary:
https://www.seat61.com/UKconnections.htm
Detail:
https://www.seat61.com/UKconnections.htm#London International CIV
PROBLEM IS: now hard to buy on line, so you possibly have to go to a decent ticket office and be insistent the clerk looks for them (they are different than a Advance to London or to 'Euston') - they should expect to see a Eurostar or DB ticket or booking ref before selling them to you - so take that with you to show them (but a member of staff who knows how to issue them will tend to know that)

seat61 suggests raileasy may sell them on line so you could try that before heading to a station tickety office.

The advantage is that they will likely have a quota for sale even on an early peak time train to London as they accept that you may need to make an early start for onward contintnetal travel.

WesternLancer

Established Member

Further to prev message

I just did a mock booking for morning of 28th oct on raileasy site (Lime street to London International CIV which is listed on the drop down for destination) and good news is they sell them, bad news is not cheap that morning.

SO Instead:

if the times work for you perhaps what you need to buy is what looks to be called a

A 'Euro High Saver CIV Single' at £44.80
only restriction is you can not arrive into Euston before 09.40 mon to friday, would this work for you?

ie this (maybe print this page off and take to ticket office to show a clerk as it does not seem to come up as a ticket to buy on Raileasy site (not sure why...**)
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=LIV&dest=LNE&grpo=0435&ldn=1&tkt=EVS

from this list of all fares Liverpool to London CIV
http://www.brfares.com/#!farehttp:/...NE&grpo=0435&ldn=1&tkt=EVSs?orig=LIV&dest=LNE

As I understand it this is not a quota controlled ticket so you can buy it nearer departure if you like at the station.

But there seems to be no saver return equivalent - so you could buy another one of these to get you home, or given you maybe will arrive home in the evening just risk a VTWC ordinary Advance out of Euston, and if your Eurostar is late hope the VTWC barrier line / train staff will let you on (Eurostar train staff or St Pancras staff have an official stamp they will happily stamp your eurostar ticket with if it is late, which would help you in those circumstances - last week they even stamped my ticket with one BEFORE the train left St P as it was a 15 minute delayed departure and I had onward connection to Germany - they did this at the departure information desk within the Eurostar terminal at St P). I don't use VTWC very much so don't know how amenable they would be to letting you on a later train out of Euston in such circs

** However given this point you might want to post on the Forum 'Fares Advice' thread to ask advice on this - not sure if people will pick it up on the International Thread as this is basically a UK ticketing issue / query

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Thanks for your insight and patience WestenLancer.

Unfortunately the price (RailEasy) Lime St. to CIV is adding £200 to the €259 London - Germany fare, so not cost efficient (more or less the standard VT fare by the looks of it)?

Bloody hell, I though UK rail tickets were hard work!

Now going to attempt the InterRail Pass method -'I may be gone for some time'

Edit: I posted this before your reply above!

WesternLancer

Established Member

Unfortunately the price (RailEasy) Lime St. to CIV is adding £200 to the €259 London - Germany fare, so not cost efficient (more or less the standard VT fare by the looks of it)?

Yes, see if you can actually buy a £44.80 ticket.

You do need to know you can do this ASAP of course (even if you have no need to actually buy it in practice until nearer departure, or you will lose the decent price you have from DB for the rest of the journey)

Destination code to ticket clerks to use seems to be 'LNE'

I see with a bit of digging VTWC have a number you could ring to ask

Call: 03331 037 717

(if you don't live near a station this would be worth a try - but I bet an experienced ticket office clerk at a station travel centre might be a better bet)

That number is a 'VT Red Carpet Service' some sort of thing where you can book for a whole party VT& Eurostar to the continent - but you would hope they might know in that team.

otherwise ordinary ticket number for sales could be
0871 977 4222

but it may be hit or miss if call centre staff know this ticket (but if you politely suggest they use the destination code 'LNE' it may reveal itself to them on their sales screen)

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member

Just also posted to here on the UK leg ticket to see what people say on availability for the CIV Saver fare:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/vtwc-tickets-to-london-international-civ.193747/#post-4250923

blackfive460

Try buying from https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/.
They charge an extra £10 or so for delivery but have always used Royal Mail Special Delivery when I've bought from them but check the site I linked to above for availability of passholder fares before you buy your pass. You won't actually be able to buy the passholder tickets until you have the pass since you need to quote the pass number.
It may be possible for you to buy a pass at a station but I'm unsure about which, if any, sell them.

blackfive460

One other suggestion;

If you wait until Monday (22nd) DB's London Super Sparpreis Europa tickets at about 109€ each way St. Pancras to Darmstadt should be available online again.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The Interail Global Pass is only £200 (£270 1st class), so that seems like a no-brainer unless I'm missing something? How does this work, do I just buy it then turn-up at the station any time that suits me, or do I have to make seat reservations on VTWC / Eurostar / ICE somehow (and how)?

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
One other suggestion;

If you wait until Monday (22nd) DB's London Super Sparpreis Europa tickets at about 109€ each way St. Pancras to Darmstadt should be available online again.

Thanks, any idea why they are not available currently (I thought they got more expensive nearer the time)?

WesternLancer

Established Member
The Interail Global Pass is only £200 (£270 1st class), so that seems like a no-brainer unless I'm missing something? How does this work, do I just buy it then turn-up at the station any time that suits me, or do I have to make seat reservations on VTWC / Eurostar / ICE somehow (and how)?

I think best to peruse this to see if it is what you need:
https://www.seat61.com/InterRail-pass-guide.htm

It will all be explained on there but I had a feeling that eg on eurostar for example you have to book and there is a quota of seats for it, if the day you need to go that quota is gone you are then probably stuck buying a normal eurostar ticket for more money...

ah yes - see the bit 'How does an Interrail pass work' on that page

eg note:

InterRail-friendly countries where reservations are seldom needed: Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Great Britain & Ireland.

Domestic & international trains within and between these countries don't normally require any seat reservation or passholder surcharges, even for premier high-speed inter-city trains like Germany's superb ICE. You can just hop on, find an empty seat and show your InterRail pass when asked, nothing extra to pay. Easy! Railpasses retain their 'convenience factor' in these countries as you can hop on & off trains spontaneously.

However, even though it's optional, it's a smart move to make a seat reservation for a long journey as it guarantees you a seat, well worth the €3-€4.50 reservation fee.

There are a few notable exceptions: Thalys trains between Brussels & Amsterdam and Brussels & Cologne have compulsory reservation & an expensive special fare for InterRail passholders.

So if you missed a DB ICE in Brussels for example, it sounds like hopping on Thalys would not be an option...

Spoorslag '70

Thanks, any idea why they are not available currently (I thought they got more expensive nearer the time)?
When trying it on bahn.de it give me the option to get a digital ticket (looking for St Pancras>Darmstadt Hbf on the 28th). It also directly gives me a price (ca. 129€).
They are supposed to be demand responsive (just like advances).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You can buy reservation-only on the DB web site/Navigator app for €4.50 on a selected train.
Reservations are optional, and in my experience you can sit in any unoccupied seat.
You have to have a reservation for Eurostar/TGV/Thalys.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
OK I'm getting the hang of this (I think). Rail Pass ~£200 (with delivery), mandatory Eurostar reservation £67 return and ICE reservation dead easy on bahn.de at €9.

Now the tricky bit, how do I ONLY reserve a seat on the 08:47 VTWC to Euston (and return on 31/10)? There is no option for this on their website as far as I can see?

Status
Not open for further replies.