• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dusseldorf Airport to Paderborn

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Hi All, I've booked flights and hotel for next March, was just about to book the train ticket but noticed it is a whopping 44 Euro, which ironically is more than my flight to Dusseldorf! Is this fare likely to decrease? Is there a way by which I might do this journey any cheaper? My flight lands at 17:15, so I'd ideally be looking for a train to leave Dusseldorf Airport sometime between 18:30 and 19:30. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

farci

Check from 'Dusseldorf Any' and it should be around £stg18.50 according to Loco2

Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
I've just had a look in the Deutsche Bahn app, planning a journey next week, and I get prices ranging from € 19,90 (ICE+Eurobahn) to € 30,50 (NRW Tariff).

If you're booking for March you're likely to be too early as the booking window hasn't opened yet.

Groningen

Established Member
Yes; 19,90 euro for a train departing at 18 hours, which may be too early. The 18.42 and 19.42 is 44 euro and does not have a change of trains.

duesselmartin

Established Member
March booking has opened. If you prepared to take an RE service, a Schöne fahrt nrw ticket is an option . €20 for any NRW destination.

Fireless

March booking has opened. If you prepared to take an RE service, a Schöne fahrt nrw ticket is an option . €20 for any NRW destination.
The "SchöneFahrtTicket NRW" won't be an option as it is only valid for a journey within two hours of being validated.
https://busse-und-bahnen.nrw.de/tic...uer-eine-fahrt/schoenefahrtticket-nrw/detail/

The correct single ticket would be a "SchöneReiseTicket NRW" but as it works out to 39.80€, a "SchönerTagTicket NRW Single" (day rover for local trains and public transport within NRW) would work out cheaper at 30.80€ (All prices are current fares, as the new ones are not yet in the system, but the relationship is unlikely to change).

AlexNL

Established Member
The DB Navigator app on my phone gave me the € 30,50 NRW ticket. If Bahn.de doesn't show it, that's weird.

Groningen

Established Member
The fact that the flight is cheaper than the train is of course a nonstarter, because you pay no tax on your planeticket and booked for a flight with 5 months to go. Book it in March 2019 and it will maybe not that cheap anymore.

Medicy

To get a cheaper advance Sparpreis ticket, at least part of your journey needs to be on an IC or ICE train - if the entire journey is on regional trains you may have to pay for a more expensive Flexpreis or a regional ticket.

To get a few more options (assuming you're using the Deutsche Bahn website), add a 00:00 stopover (e.g. at Dortmund Hbf). You may have to untick all the non-IC/ICE travel options for one leg of the journey (i.e. from Dusseldorf Airport to Dortmund Hbf). This can all be done under the 'Change Other Data' tab if you're creating/editing your journey (see 'stopovers' and 'connections').

For example, on the 13th March I can get a journey option for €19.90:

Düsseldorf Flughafen dep 19:00 ICE 645 Intercity-Express Direction: Berlin Ostbahnhof
Komfort Check-in möglich http://bahn.de/komfortcheckin , Bordrestaurant
Hamm(Westf) arr 20:07
Transfer time 39 min.
Adjust the transfer time

Hamm(Westf) dep 20:46 ERB 89 (90037) eurobahn Direction: Paderborn Hbf
Number of bicycles conveyed limited , ticket machine on train
Paderborn Hbf arr 21:39

It's an advance ticket though so if you miss your IC/ICE train it won't be valid for that leg (but the regional train leg is valid on any service)!

Last edited:

Veteran Member
The trick is to book the Sparpreis with IC/ICE from Duesseldorf Hbf to Flughafen and Regional trains thereafter and start short at Flughafen. Just make sure the compulsory train is no later than your booked flight!

Alternatively, go via Hbf and build in time for a meal there, assuming there's a late enough IC towards Paderborn.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The fact that the flight is cheaper than the train is of course a nonstarter, because you pay no tax on your planeticket and booked for a flight with 5 months to go. Book it in March 2019 and it will maybe not that cheap anymore.

APD on UK-Düsseldorf (and most UK-EU flights) is £13 each way in cattle class.
There's no VAT, however, on air fares bought in the UK.

duesselmartin

Established Member
The "SchöneFahrtTicket NRW" won't be an option as it is only valid for a journey within two hours of being validated.
https://busse-und-bahnen.nrw.de/tic...uer-eine-fahrt/schoenefahrtticket-nrw/detail/

The correct single ticket would be a "SchöneReiseTicket NRW" but as it works out to 39.80€, a "SchönerTagTicket NRW Single" (day rover for local trains and public transport within NRW) would work out cheaper at 30.80€ (All prices are current fares, as the new ones are not yet in the system, but the relationship is unlikely to change).
With the RE taking 2 hours and 7 minutes, one could also take a train to Duisburg or Mülheim and get the cheaper schöne faFah ticket there and stay within the two hour limit.

Gordon

Hi All, I've booked flights and hotel for next March, was just about to book the train ticket but noticed it is a whopping 44 Euro, which ironically is more than my flight to Dusseldorf!

To be fair, some London - Leicester (a similar distance) fares are as much as £72 at evening peak

Status
Not open for further replies.