• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

dutch railways first class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, long time, no post

I'm travelling to the Netherlands fairly soon and I'm in the process of booking train tickets for a couple of journeys while there (I know I could use the TVMs on the day, but I would rather book in advance). Looking at ticket prices there doesn't seem to be that much difference between the cost, I've looked at various websites and the views tend to be mixed, I'm guessing that its just more space and more comfortable seats. a lot of sites say that because journeys are fairly short there's no real point in upgrading, but mine are quite lengthy (one is timed at 45 mins, the other at about 3 hours), both are in intercity trains, and I will have luggage with me

what I was wondering is, for those journeys, would it be worth paying the extra €5-€10 per trip or should I just save the cash and stay in standard class like most people do?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
The main reason for travelling 1st class in the Netherlands is so you have more chance of a seat. You also get power sockets on some Intercity trains.

I thought that would be the case. Therefore, do you know how busy a train from schipol airport to a place not that far north of amsterdam, and a journey (on a sunday) from just the other side of the border from Aachen back to Schipol would likely be?

radamfi

Established Member
If you look up a journey on the NS app for Android and iOS, it can tell you the expected level of crowding between each station for each itinerary. This time of year is quiet so I wouldn't have thought you would be standing outside weekday peak hours.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
When I traveled around the Netherlands, I have paid the extra, there is a bit more space in first class, it may be worth doing it, especially for longer journeys. I have noticed though that they either have long trains or double deckers, or both and seating availability is normally not a problem, apart from in rush hours. I loved travelling around on the Dutch Rail network.

dutchflyer

Established Member
1st is 60% more exp. as 2nd. In SPRinter (=stopping) trains the diff is minimal, same seats, other colour. Online booking currently now saves you the 1 eur fee for the chipped tickets from TVM
Currently on weekends its about free, as there is a generous lot of free upgrade coupons, for those paying the normal price for 2nd.
Note that we also have Silence=STILTE comprtmts, mostly the upper floors, and you should pay heed to that-or expect very nasty remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.