• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dutch Train Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oscar

Fares Advisor
I'll do my best to quickly translate the article for non Dutch speakers;
48 GEWONDEN DOOR TREINBOTSING
48 WOUNDED BY TRAIN COLLISION

Ter hoogte van het Westerpark zijn zaterdagavond rond 18.30 uur een stoptrein en een sneltrein tegen elkaar aan gebotst.

At the height of the Westerpark?? a stopping train and a fast train collided within each other at around 18.30 on Saturday evening.

Tussen Amsterdam Centraal en station Amsterdam Sloterdijk, op de Singelgrachtbrug, zijn de twee passagierstreinen tegen elkaar gebotst.

Between Amsterdam Centraal and the station Amsterdam Sloterdijk the two passenger trains collided into each other on the Singelgrachtbrug (Singel Canal Bridge).

De stoptrein was op weg van Amsterdam naar Uitgeest. De sneltrein was op weg van Den Helder naar Nijmegen. Door het ongeluk raakten volgens de NS 48 mensen gewond. Van de gewonden zaten er 40 in de stoptrein. De anderen zaten in de sneltrein.

The stopping train was on the way from Amsterdam to Uitgeest. The fast train was on the way from Den Helder to Nijmegen. According to NS 48 people were wounded by the accident. Of the wounded 40 were on the stopping train. The others were on the fast train.

Het ongeluk gebeurde tussen de stations Amsterdam-Sloterdijk en Amsterdam-Centraal.Vooral de sprinter is aan de voorkant flink beschadigd. Het bereiken van de passagiers werd bemoeilijkt omdat het spoor moeilijk bereikbaar is voor de hulpdiensten.

The accident happened between the stations Amsterdam Sloterdijk and Amsterdam Centraal. First and foremost the sprinter was significantly damaged on the front. It was difficult to reach the passengers because it was hard for the emergency services to get to the site of the accident.
Door de aanrijding rijden er aan de westkant van Amsterdam geen treinen. Dat betekent onder meer dat tussen Amsterdam-Centraal en luchthaven Schiphol geen treinen rijden. Spoorbeheerder ProRail verwacht dat de stremmingen de rest van de dag duren.
No trains are running on the western side of Amsterdam. That also mean that no trains are running between Amsterdam-Centraal and Schiphol Airport. Railway infrastructure manager Pro Rail expects the disruption to last the rest of the day.

Last edited:

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Here's an English translation that I have found:-

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...ntral_amst.php

Oops, so I didn't need to bother translating it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Translation of update 20:50
Update 20.50 uur: Een woordvoerder KLPD laat zojuist weten dat er 70 gewonden zijn gevallen waarvan 50 zwaargewond. Beide treinen staan nog wel op de rails. De KLPD verwacht dat de treinen vanavond nog kunnen worden weggehaald. De passagiers zijn opgevangen in een verzorgingstehuis.
A KLPD spokesperson has announced that 70 have been wounded of which 50 badly. Both trains are still standing comfortably on the rails. The KLPD expects that the trains can be taken away this evening. The passengers have been taken to a building where they are being looked after.

Oops, so I didn't need to bother translating it.

No- but don't worry about it:). I just "googled" a Dutch News site In English. It so happened, there was an article about it in English. I don't know Dutch at all.

On a serious note, It seems people were quite lucky, in the circumstances?

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Yes, film shows them leaving the stopping train, most apparently unharmed. The trains must have been travelling at fairly slow speeds. It seems to be nothing like the Halle (Belgium) collision of 2010.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Now everyone goes on about how great european railways are... but stuff like this never happens in this country.

Glad no one died speedy recovery to those hurt.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
No, never has a train ran into another train in this country.

I meant in recent times, the only major accidents we have had are gayrigg, great heck, hatfield and potters bar. And none have been two trains hitting each other on the same line.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Heres the BBC News coverage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17799940

I presume most of the injuries may have happened in the Double Deck unit? Still, at least there are no fatalaties with this incident, and both units appear to have done the job they are designed to do in an incident like this without any derailments.

The impact would be greater in the lighter train (as the resulting collision energy is apportioned to mass) so probably more serious injuries there.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The impact was almost certainly greater in the lighter single deck train as I am pretty certain that this was the stopping train in which 40 out of the 48 originally announced as wounded were.
... everyone goes on about how great european railways are
Safety aside, the Dutch railway system is in my limited experience normally very punctual, comprehensive and affordable. I have only really had problems with the Beneluxtreinen.

Status
Not open for further replies.