• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DutchFlyer - Starting in the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

orpine

I'm trying to buy a ticket from netherlands to uk on the dutchflyer. As I'm only going one-way and starting in netherlands direction it seems I have to use dutch website (https://www.stenaline.nl/en-GB-nl/england/rail-and-sail).

A couple of clarifying questions:
Does it include rail travel within the Netherlands? UK -> Netherlands includes it both ends, but the above linked page says:

"Train tickets for NS (Dutch Railways) to and from the port are not included in the booking, they can be bought directly at the railway station."

And the "outward" only includes "Hoek van Holland".

Why is this is? I thought it was meant to include rail on both ends?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't know what the situation is now, but some years ago I managed to buy a Sail Rail ticket on the Dutch site following Mark Smith's excellent instructions at www.seat61.com.

I had to buy my own rail tickets, and the cost of these was then refunded at the check in desk in Hoek van Holland.

orpine

I'll actually be coming from denmark, probably spending the night in hamburg.

I'm guessing if I buy a Sparpreis for €49 (hamburg to hoek van holland), that's probably the easliest way, though I won't get any refund for it?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
No, it was only Dutch domestic tickets that qualified for a refund. It was the reverse of the Any Dutch station you could get from the UK, which included travel to the port from London and other stations in the East Anglia area.

IS the sparpreis ticket from Hamburg through to Hoek van Holland going to be cheaper than getting one to the Dutch border and then buying a separate ticket onwards within Holland?

It seems like it could well be the case to me, and if I'm right in my suspicion that would be the optimum way to do it in any case.

Veteran Member
IS the sparpreis ticket from Hamburg through to Hoek van Holland going to be cheaper than getting one to the Dutch border and then buying a separate ticket onwards within Holland?

It seems like it could well be the case to me, and if I'm right in my suspicion that would be the optimum way to do it in any case.

Oddly enough it might be. The base Sparpreis Bad Bentheim - Hoek is EUR19 as is Hamburg-BB whereas the through ticket seems to start at EUR19. Might be worth checking Copenhagen-BB with stopover in Hamburg, and/or a further split at Oldenburg (Holstein).

cjp

I'm trying to buy a ticket from netherlands to uk on the dutchflyer. As I'm only going one-way and starting in netherlands direction it seems I have to use dutch website (https://www.stenaline.nl/en-GB-nl/england/rail-and-sail).

A couple of clarifying questions:
Does it include rail travel within the Netherlands? UK -> Netherlands includes it both ends, but the above linked page says:

"Train tickets for NS (Dutch Railways) to and from the port are not included in the booking, they can be bought directly at the railway station."

And the "outward" only includes "Hoek van Holland".

Why is this is? I thought it was meant to include rail on both ends?

A couple of years back I telephoned the contact number for the Dutch site.
They spoke excellent English.
The problem was buying the Dutch rail ticket part and getting it sent to the UK but with some persuasion they did it and I had a trouble free journey back - I flew there.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Oddly enough it might be. The base Sparpreis Bad Bentheim - Hoek is EUR19 as is Hamburg-BB whereas the through ticket seems to start at EUR19. Might be worth checking Copenhagen-BB with stopover in Hamburg, and/or a further split at Oldenburg (Holstein).

Every time I've looked at international tickets from Germany to The Netherlands, it's been pretty much the same price to any station. Admittedly, most of the checks I've done have been in the other direction, but going that way I've always found that the cost was the same from Hoek as it would be from Utrecht and other cities I've looked at.

I've never looked at more complicated splits. I'm not so confident with splitting in Europe, and the through fares seem to be reasonable enough, unlike here with operators like XC!

Groningen

Established Member
From the total north of the Netherlands i have a Groningen - London with the Eurostar for 83 euro. In 1 train the 2nd Class is full; so First class and 412 euro (one way). Back also for 83. The difference between Thalys and Brussel Intercity is 100 euro in fares in each direction. In October i see several trains between Amsterdam and London and v.v. for 59 euro per direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.