• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dyfi Ospreys view of Cambrian trains from nest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I don't think I've ever read so much positive comment about Network Rail!

When NR do something good, ill praise them. must say I don't have a great interest in Birds either, but well done, it will keep the egg poachers away.

Next door to me is Minera Quarry with Peregrine Falcons, The Peregrine is renowned for its speed, reaching over 322 km/h (200 mph) during its characteristic hunting stoop (high speed dive),making it the fastest member of the animal kingdom, just out of interest.

Bob

Last edited:

neilmc

I'd be tempted to put the question the other way round - can I see the ospreys from a Cambrian train? Of course, birding from train windows isn't ideal!

6Gman

Established Member
I'd be tempted to put the question the other way round - can I see the ospreys from a Cambrian train? Of course, birding from train windows isn't ideal!

I keep a list of "birds seen from a train".

My favourite is Kingfisher. Very, very, very difficult to see from a train - they're shy, uncommon, small and move at high, high speeds!

Glimpsed from a Voyager near Laira depot.

But Osprey would be good!

Gareth Marston

Established Member

You get great view of nest from train and I've seen them loads of times. The Water Buffalo in the shrub land the other side of line are harder to spot and you have to make a choice to look for Ospreys or the Buffalo.

tsr

Established Member
This is a great video and there are many more interesting things on the site. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about wildlife, but I do appreciate the efforts that go into projects like this, and it's especially good when you can see results like these.

:)

Kneedown

Established Member
Lovely vid, thanks for sharing that.
I've only ever seen one Osprey in my life and that was in February in Grand Turk. My Mrs said she'd never seen me move so fast when i shot in from the balcony of the Azura to grab my camera!
I love birding from the train. Always looking out for Red Kites between Grantham and Peterboro, and Marsh Harrier's at Lakenheath. Saw a bonus Short Eared Owl at Three Horsrshoes last week too!

Requeststop

Really Excellent. I do bird watching by train. The run from Exeter St Davids to Newton Abbot along the rivers Exe and Teign is a great one for a variety of sea birds, and at my home station Lelant, there is close-by, a RSPB reserve (actually closer to the Saltings) and again when the Hayle river is at low tide you can see some wonderful birds, including my favourite the Curlew, as the branchline train skirts the estuary.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
See link for footage from webcam at nest of ATW 158's and NR 97's - NR installed the fibre optic cabling to the nest.

http://dyfiospreyproject.com/blog/2012/05/the-yellow-train

Lovely pictures. I've seen the nest but not with anything in it.
They used to go to great lengths not to disclose the location of osprey nests on Speyside, but I guess this one is OK because trespassers would be captured on live HD if they tried to interfere!

You would need to be VERY lucky to get an osprey photo from the train.
I have taken photos of a red kite (Chiltern line) and shags and seals on the rocks near Helmsdale (Far North line), but they are very difficult to capture.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
on my input,if we still had the train running into Minera Quarry (GWR),well it stopped at Berwig qtr mile away(1930s) one might capture the Peregrine on film.
interesting the old GWR sidings(well hidden) are still in the quarry near to the Hoffman Kiln(big chimney,now full of bats)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mineralimeworks.jpg

http://www.minerahistory.com/railway.html

put up just for interest, Minera quarry is next to my home,as is Lesters Limeworks station

Bob

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
on my input,if we still had the train running into Minera Quarry (GWR),well it stopped at Berwig qtr mile away(1930s) one might capture the Peregrine on film.
interesting the old GWR sidings(well hidden) are still in the quarry near to the Hoffman Kiln(big chimney,now full of bats)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mineralimeworks.jpg

http://www.minerahistory.com/railway.html

put up just for interest, Minera quarry is next to my home,as is Lesters Limeworks station

Bob

Nice pictures, Bob.
Good that you can still see the old trackbed curving north of Ruthin Road, and at Pentre Saeson.
At first sight the route up from Brymbo seems unfeasible for adhesion working, but they found one!
Same is true of all the lines up from Wrexham (GW and GC).
I still can't quite work out the GC route up to Brymbo (lower down than the GW, and less obvious).

tsr

Established Member
Always looking out for Red Kites between Grantham and Peterboro

Try Reigate-Guildford on the North Downs Line if you're ever down that way. I've mentioned it somewhere else on these forums before. There are one or two in the area, and they look magnificent against the steep slopes and rolling fields in this part of Surrey. :)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Despite claiming to have learnt quite a bit about railways, that blogger still referred to a light engine as a yellow 'train'. I suppose nobody can really agree on whether a single class 153 is a train or not. Two in multiple definatly is, as is any 2-car unit, but a 153 running alone? Half a train?

Lovely vid, thanks for sharing that.
I've only ever seen one Osprey in my life and that was in February in Grand Turk. My Mrs said she'd never seen me move so fast when i shot in from the balcony of the Azura to grab my camera!
I love birding from the train. Always looking out for Red Kites between Grantham and Peterboro, and Marsh Harrier's at Lakenheath. Saw a bonus Short Eared Owl at Three Horsrshoes last week too!

Both sides of the Dovey estuary should be quite good for bird spotting from the train, and of course you can see the Osprey nest as you pass Dovey Junctions station.

I've seen quite a number of red kites (on several occasions even many at once) from buses between Aberaeron and Aberystwyth too.

6Gman

Established Member

Bob

Manchester's Peregrines are very close to Exchange Station (as was).

And yes, I am aware that they are actually in Salford!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.