• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E M R 156s to Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The units involved are now leased to Northern and sub-leased back to EMR. So the lease is signed.
That’s good news, thanks.

Will they be based at Newton Heath, does anyone know? I know the 153s were Neville Hill, but there are no 156s there currently so I assumed they’d be adding to the NH fleet.

(Made a separate thread because the acquisition by Northern of EMRs 156s isn’t really relevant to the Northern Fleet Refurbishments thread) :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

simon7929

Does anybody know what seats are in these units as I can't remember? I caught one from Lincoln to Doncaster last year. It was one of the original EMR ones in Red/Blue livery. I'm sure the Seats were Chapman?

On Moderation
Does anybody know what seats are in these units as I can't remember? I caught one from Lincoln to Doncaster last year. It was one of the original EMT ones in Red/Blue livery. I'm sure the Seats were Chapman?
Yes, the EMT and (ex-)Greater Anglia fleets have Chapman seats, which are much better than any of the other types fitted to 156s.

simon7929

So Northern will just paint the backs Black and give them new fabric. Like on the 18 Porterbrook 156 units they currently have when refurbished along with interior paint. And maybe change the PIS system on the ex GA ones?

capital12

Yes, the EMT and (ex-)Greater Anglia fleets have Chapman seats, which are much better than any of the other types fitted to 156s.

Bit off topic for here, but do you know if the 8 ex ScotRail units retained their original seats during the recent Northern refurb? Ta.

On Moderation
Bit off topic for here, but do you know if the 8 ex ScotRail units retained their original seats during the recent Northern refurb? Ta.
It's 5 ex-ScotRail 156s, isn't it? I thought they had received new "ironing boards" during their refurbishments, unfortunately.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
No, the nasty Ashbournes were replaced with the much smarter modified Fainsas. A good thing in my opinion :)

It does make for more inconsistency within the fleet however, as now 156s have a mix of Chapman, Richmond and Fainsa seating.

fgwrich

Established Member
It's 5 ex-ScotRail 156s, isn't it? I thought they had received new "ironing boards" during their refurbishments, unfortunately.

Correct - standard Fansia "Ironing Boards" for those, though they did retain the original BR era installed seating when they came to Northern from ScotRail. So these ex EMR / GA ones could be re-seated, or they may be lucky enough to retain the Chapmans.

Last edited:

capital12

Ok thanks! Not sure where I got 8 from, possibly was confusing it with the 158s?!

James Kevill

Which of these Class 156s from EMR are owned by Porterbrook? And Which of these Class 156s from EMR are owned by Angel Trains?

On Moderation
Which of the these Class 156s from EMR are owned by Porterbrook? And Which of the these Class 156s from EMR are owned by Angel Trains?
Of the EMR fleet 156470/473/497/498 are Angel owned, all the other EMR 156s are Porterbrook's.

simon7929

The current Porterbrook leased 156s at Northern have Chapman seats. They also have the brighter Headlights. The Angel units (ex ATN) have Richmond seats and retain the original headlights. However the 5 ex ScotRail units leased from Angel. Have the brighter headlights as per ex FNW Porterbrook units but have the new Ironing board seats.

The OTMR recorders are of a different type on the Porterbrook units as to the ones on the Angel units.

Last edited:

peters

On Moderation
It looks like this has been split from another thread. Is the idea Northern are getting additional 156s or are these replacing something else and is there any idea of when they will enter service with Northern? I think I read something about Arriva were supposed to source at least an additional 18 diesel trains if they had retained the franchise.

Established Member
It looks like this has been split from another thread. Is the idea Northern are getting additional 156s or are these replacing something else and is there any idea of when they will enter service with Northern? I think I read something about Arriva were supposed to source at least an additional 18 diesel trains if they had retained the franchise.
Most likely after the 196's have entered service and released the 170's to come to EMR which then allows the 156's to move to Northern.

Tractor37

Assume the 14 or so listed will see off the class 153s?
Yes the 156’s are to replace the 153’s which are non PRM compliant and only have dispensation until 31st May. Although they are very rarely used. I drove my first one in about 6 months on Monday as an ECS move from Sheffield to Huddersfield from where it continued with another 153 to Newton Heath. The 156’s will be based at Newton Heath. As to dates it’s all dependent on West Mids introducing the 196’s to release the 170’s to East Mids to release the 156’s.

I believe a pre covid audit by OLR Northern suggested they were significantly short of units so this will probably help, I think reforming 4 x 150's back into 3 car units is supposed to be back on as well.

Ideally they ought to get 7 more to bin off the 155's

When EMT got 156's off Northern they put notices on apologising for the condition of the units, maybe the ones that go to Northern ought to have responding notice along the lines of 'We apologise for the higher quality of the interior of this train it will be downgraded to Northern standards as soon as possible' :lol:

Of course key questions for Northern and potential rolling stock implications are how long will it take before they go back to the pre Covid Timetable? will they even go back to the full Pre Covid timetable on all routes? will some of the proposed timetable improvements that still hadn't been implemented be abandoned? clearly we know there are likely to be changes to services around Manchester.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.