• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E-scooters could be legalised and extra funding for cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Cycling also requires sufficent storage at destination and the ability to shower if needed.

Indeed (if it's long distance cycling; just like most people can walk a couple of miles without getting sweaty they can cycle that sort of distance too - you just have to cycle slowly, something which many seem to find a bit hard, perhaps because of the more "aggressive" styles of bicycle that are the norm in the UK).

Grants could perhaps be provided for the provision of workplace shower and locker room facilities.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Cycling in London doesn't go without its problems and there are rogue cyclists as well as rogue motorists. From what I see, many cyclists have no regard for anyone else but themselves. They think that riding a bike entitles them to run red lights, weave at speed between the road and the pavement and hurl abuse towards anyone who gets in their way. In London, more bike lanes will just push traffic elsewhere and open up more rat runs in residential areas. Cyclists need to take responsibility for their actions and be penalised accordingly just as car drivers are if they drive irresponsibly.

And before RUK accuses me of being anti-bike, I am just observing what goes on in my back yard...

Also, don't PLEV's (e-scooters) have to be taxed and insured to be used on UK roads?

Last edited:

Non Multi

That's the irony, they probably would not be offered as a 'solution' if they weren't already being used by so many illegally.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's the irony, they probably would not be offered as a 'solution' if they weren't already being used by so many illegally.

Often the way. People were downloading music illegally long before the music industry realised that that was how they wanted to consume it legally and offered it.

Bikeman78

Established Member
There are people who might, at least a few days a week.

My commute is five miles. I wouldn't want to do much more. I wonder how it will pan out. I've noticed a lot of people on bikes on Lamby Way recently, presumably heading for the coast road which is a pleasant ride. Unfortunately there's also a lot of HGVs along the first section going to the Aldi distribution centre and the Freightliner depot. Bikes and HGVs are not a great combination!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My commute is five miles. I wouldn't want to do much more. I wonder how it will pan out. I've noticed a lot of people on bikes on Lamby Way recently, presumably heading for the coast road which is a pleasant ride. Unfortunately there's also a lot of HGVs along the first section going to the Aldi distribution centre and the Freightliner depot. Bikes and HGVs are not a great combination!

With a proper road (touring, so it had a rack) bike and panniers I'd happily do 10. Probably not much more, though, and probably not in winter. (Once it gets icey my bike gets laid up, I can't be bothered sliding everywhere ending up with "along the road", and the MK Redways are not gritted).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'd like to hope this funding is coming out of the roads budget. If there was no motorized traffic, cycling on just about any road would be safe. So this is actually to pay for the consequences of increased road traffic.

muz379

Established Member
The problem is , encouraging more cycling and walking will work for busses whereby a lot of people could make the switch because they travel distance is suitable for cycling .

For a beginner or someone not used to it , I think that 5 miles would be the max to start with . I currently do 4 , looking that if I do move house by the end of the year it might become 8/9 but I know when it switches to 8 I will use the car more often or might use the train in one direction .

Trains will be the challenge because the distances involved are almost always greater .

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Legalising e-scooters is definitely something I agree with. As the owner of a manual scooter I have certainly saved an enormous amount of time over the years. Scooters do well to bridge the gap between cycling and walking and are easier to store too, making them perfect for commutors.

Because of their shorter stopping distances over bicycles they can even be faster than cycling in urban and crowed arears, such as the pavements during rush hour and even the high street. I generally feel a lot less sweaty when scooting, unlike when cycling or jogging.

E-scooters are a slightly different kettle of fish because of their high top speeds. I vaguely remember politicians debating whether to legalise segways around 2010.

Considering the lack of other quick and convenient travel options, legalising e-scooters will provide the public with another option that is safe.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I don't think cycling was really suggested as an alternative to trains, other than very short journeys on e.g. the Tube and Merseyrail.
Maybe so, whether cycling is an option really depends on where you live and work. On weekends of engineering/bus replacement works, I have on occasions cycled to Ramsgate (in almost a straight line) in as little as 48 minutes. The train takes 20 minutes so not that much slower.

Not many people live that close to where they work, making cycling not a realistic option. Distance aside, turning up at the office/factory/warehouse drenched in sweat is far from ideal. Perhaps that extra funding for cycling would be better spent elsewhere?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not many people live that close to where they work, making cycling not a realistic option. Distance aside, turning up at the office/factory/warehouse drenched in sweat is far from ideal. Perhaps that extra funding for cycling would be better spent elsewhere?

I'd say au contraire, the vast majority of people live in a town or city and work in that same town or city - precisely the sort of journey where cycling does work. London demonstrates it quite clearly - there was a huge jump in it after the bombings, and I'd venture there's about to be a huge jump in it again.

OK, it might be skewed towards fit males in their 20s and 30s, but who cares? Reduction in motorised traffic is a good thing, wherever it comes from.

HLE

Established Member
I tend to agree , in terms of tools you can build up a collection over time ,its not like you will need them all from the very start . And most big cities are likely to have community schemes which teach basic cycle maintenance have workshops you can use . I know where I grew up there is such a scheme and the array of tools is impressive . Ive managed to build up a collection over time and have friends I can loan some stuff off . But if I had not already done so I would certainly make use .

Absolutely, I built up my toolkit over five years, last purchase was a workstand which in hindsight would have been the first!

I've saved hundreds, probably thousands by stripping the bikes down and overhauling bearings etc. Definitely skills that are worth knowing.

Although the car goes back to the stealers for its service and (free) MOT. I don't trust myself to work on it as it's mainly all plastic.

muz379

Established Member
Absolutely, I built up my toolkit over five years, last purchase was a workstand which in hindsight would have been the first!

I've saved hundreds, probably thousands by stripping the bikes down and overhauling bearings etc. Definitely skills that are worth knowing.

Although the car goes back to the stealers for its service and (free) MOT. I don't trust myself to work on it as it's mainly all plastic.
Actually precisely the same with regards a work-stand , i dont have one atm but im hopefully moving house sometime this year :?: and intend to get one when I have space then , I always used to think I could work without one but after using one of a mates a few times its far easier especially when doing stuff like adjusting gears .

Ill do odd jobs on the car , things like brakes , what suspension parts I can do with the tools I have , exhausts and stuff like that . Also basic engine stuff like replacing sensors or other bits and bobs , but I am more limited by what I can do on the car by lack of tools and some of the tools are more expensive than bicycle tools and I might only ever need to use them the once or twice .

AM9

Veteran Member
Absolutely, I built up my toolkit over five years, last purchase was a workstand which in hindsight would have been the first! ...
I have a motley collection of tools for the bikes, but I agree, the stand was the best buy about 7 years ago. The likes of Wiggle and Evans sell them but with names like 'sports mechanic' and the inevitable 'pro' they are priced for those who maintain bikes for a living or are committed enthusiasts for whom cost is a boasting chip. I saw one online that cost £27.00 and it did everything that I wanted it for on 4 different bikes including a Brompton, (quite difficult for some stand designs). I'm not sure that posting a link is within forum rules but if anybody here is interested, send me a PM and I can give them a link where it is available now for £33.00, probably less than a bike annual service at a workshop.

HLE

Established Member
Actually precisely the same with regards a work-stand , i dont have one atm but im hopefully moving house sometime this year :?: and intend to get one when I have space then , I always used to think I could work without one but after using one of a mates a few times its far easier especially when doing stuff like adjusting gears .

Ill do odd jobs on the car , things like brakes , what suspension parts I can do with the tools I have , exhausts and stuff like that . Also basic engine stuff like replacing sensors or other bits and bobs , but I am more limited by what I can do on the car by lack of tools and some of the tools are more expensive than bicycle tools and I might only ever need to use them the once or twice .

I'd definitely recommend one. I bought one off Amazon years ago which is similar in design to what Aldi sell and is foldable....still going strong years later. It's about 4ft high and 8 inches wide folded down.

The only job I take bikes off the stand for is putting the rear wheel back on - with the bike upside down I find it easier.

Ah, I've changed oil and front brake pads on my old car but never on the beamer - no dipstick! Worth too much for me to risk it.

HLE

Established Member
I have a motley collection of tools for the bikes, but I agree, the stand was the best buy about 7 years ago. The likes of Wiggle and Evans sell them but with names like 'sports mechanic' and the inevitable 'pro' they are priced for those who maintain bikes for a living or are committed enthusiasts for whom cost is a boasting chip. I saw one online that cost £27.00 and it did everything that I wanted it for on 4 different bikes including a Brompton, (quite difficult for some stand designs). I'm not sure that posting a link is within forum rules but if anybody here is interested, send me a PM and I can give them a link where it is available now for £33.00, probably less than a bike annual service at a workshop.

I've probably got the same design. Still works years after purchase. Don't think I've ever bought anything from Evans, always overpriced with the staff often having little clue about basic bike parts. Sadly the small independent shops are dying out.

I know what you mean about the bragging amongst some hardcore road cyclists. Each to their own but I'll stick with buying perfectly sound parts at a reasonable price. £500 for a wheel in one shop I visited a while back. I walked out.

One thing with an annual service is labour. It took me an hour this morning just to change out an old school 30 year old cup and cone 'tange' bottom bracket for a 'new' cassette style one. That's with all the tools. Haven't seen one listed on eBay yet that doesn't have the bearing surface severely pitted so I've finally bit the bullet and modernised it.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We’re going to lock this one for now as it seems to have run its course for the moment, but if anyone wants to start a new thread on bike related stuff (including maintenance) in the general discussion section please feel free.
Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.