• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E-ticket clipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisknee2019

Hello All,

If your e-ticket was scanned by a ticket inspector does that automatically clips the ticket or only when you scan it in the barrier?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RHolmes

It’s clipped onboard too.

A record of what devices or barriers has clipped the ticket comes up when the QR/Aztec code is scanned

LowLevel

Established Member
Hello All,

If your e-ticket was scanned by a ticket inspector does that automatically clips the ticket or only when you scan it in the barrier?

Yes, it clips the ticket unless the inspector tells it not to.

island

Veteran Member
The staff member has the option to either record a virtual “clip”, record nothing, or mark the ticket as no further use possible.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The staff member has the option to either record a virtual “clip”, record nothing, or mark the ticket as no further use possible.
If the latter, does that prevent exit through a barrier at the destination station?

I'd also be concerned if this happens when break of journey is possible

paul1609

Established Member
My limited experience with GTR e tickets is that its a 50/50 chance whether they will work the bariers in Yorkshire. If they dont the staff make a cursory glance at your phone before letting you through the gate. Ive never yet had the ticket interrogated either at the barrier or on board.

island

Veteran Member
If the latter, does that prevent exit through a barrier at the destination station?

I believe so but I would have to defer to an expert such as @Wallsendmag to be certain.

Scott1

It shouldn't usually. If the person on train clips it then their device is usually set to the train they are operating. If the person scanning the ticket is at a station where your journey ends then the gate or person who has scanned the ticket is effectively marking it as completed and it won't be accepted by another ticket gate.

Usually they won't scan at intermediary stations, for example when changing trains or having a break of journey, however when scanned by a staff member they can still mark the ticket as being checked at that station. This shouldn't impact on the ticket in the same way someone writing on a CCST ticket wouldn't on a multi train journey. One handy thing is that there is much more data so you can see when and where it was scanned, so if the passenger is off route for example and the ticket has been checked along the way its easy to see where they've "got lost" so to speak.

thisknee2019

Another concern I have about it is that you can’t see what was recorded.
That’s true. The reason I asked this question is because of my personal experience. I have a return e-tickets and I knew I’ve already used it and both tickets were scanned by train inspector. But out of curiosity I contacted the train company(via chat) and asked if the return ticket is still valid (not yet used). They asked for the screen shot of the qr code and the email I used in their app. And to my surprise the return ticket is not yet used according to the customer agent. I also asked if e-tickets get clip when scanned by inspector and the answer was yes. According to the agent, at the moment there is no way for customer to know if e-tickets were already used.

js517

I'd be surprised if customers will be able to check usage any time soon. The data recorded for scan events is not particularly consistent across TOCs. Fields are not always populated or populated in the same way. Nonsensical scans are also recorded suggesting that handheld scanners are not always set up correctly. Even with access to all the data it can be hard to accurately determine usage. There are also non-travel related scans to consider (e.g. delay repay related) and the fraud risk of exposing the information.

js517

Perhaps not, but we've seen it happen. It's also a good thing - you can potentially prevent someone getting a refund on an otherwise unscanned ticket ticket that they've received delay repay on.

Status
Not open for further replies.