• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E-ticket/m-ticket vs CCST statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc_

Hi, Does anyone know if there is any data available for the proportion of passengers who use the orange CCST (credit card sized tickets) vs those who use e-tickets (paper roll included) and m-tickets, and those who use season tickets? If so, where could I find this data? Even better if this data is available for a specific station.

MODs: Not sure if this is the best forum for this. Please move if somewhere else is more apt.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Not a direct answer, but RDG claims that 54% of journeys are now "smart" according to Modern Railways (March, p.22).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
My unscientific observations suggest that on long distance services passengers with CCST are very much in the minority.

On my outer suburban travels between Stevenage and London. At commuting times smart cards seem to be the majority. CCST still rule at Off peak times for leisure journeys as many passengers use outboundary travelcards which are not available as e-tickets.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Not a direct answer, but RDG claims that 54% of journeys are now "smart" according to Modern Railways (March, p.22).

I wonder if that includes the many London area journeys on NR where the passenger uses contactless or Oyster?

alistairlees

Established Member
Yeah, ‘smart’ includes barcode ticket, ITSO and oyster / contactless.

There is plenty of info within the industry but I doubt it’s going to be shared at anything other than a high level.

Belperpete

Established Member
Hi, Does anyone know if there is any data available for the proportion of passengers who use the orange CCST (credit card sized tickets) vs those who use e-tickets (paper roll included) and m-tickets, and those who use season tickets? If so, where could I find this data? Even better if this data is available for a specific station.
Bit confused about your groupings. Paper roll tickets are not e-tickets. If you are including paper-roll tickets as e-tickets because they have a bar-code, then some orange CCSTs also have the bar-code.

Why don't you want CCST orange card season tickets to count as orange CCSTs?

AY1975

Established Member

Does anyone have an official source for this story (apart from Modern Railways itself)? I can't find anything on it on the Rail Delivery Group website.

AY1975

Established Member
Bit confused about your groupings. Paper roll tickets are not e-tickets. If you are including paper-roll tickets as e-tickets because they have a bar-code, then some orange CCSTs also have the bar-code.

I would class all paper roll tickets and CCST tickets as paper tickets, and e-tickets, m-tickets, tickets stored on smartcards and ticketing apps (and, arguably, print-at-home tickets whether they are issued as e-tickets or as self-print tickets that have to be printed out) as "smart" tickets.

Belperpete

Established Member
I would class all paper roll tickets and CCST tickets as paper tickets, and e-tickets, m-tickets, tickets stored on smartcards and ticketing apps (and, arguably, print-at-home tickets whether they are issued as e-tickets or as self-print tickets that have to be printed out) as "smart" tickets.
I would agree with you, but that is not what the OP was asking for. He specifically asked about CCSTs, specifically not including the paper roll equivalent, but then also for some reason excluding seasons, many of which are issued as CCSTs.

Established Member

Paper roll tickets ARE classed as Smart tickets by the industry. I would imagine due to the barcode and lack of Magnetic stripe.

Wallsendmag

Established Member

They aren't e-Tickets. But they definitely are smart tickets as you can invalidate them remotely. This means when they scan it comes up as invalid.

kc_

I was roughly grouping by tickets presented to automatic ticket gates vs tickets inserted into ticket gates. I was thinking about the new ITSO season tickets, and forgot about paper season tickets. How do auto ticket gates handle paper season tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.