• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

e tickets and m tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
I tried doing that, but I'm still none the wiser. It takes me to a list of my bookings, including the one I mentioned above where I'm having difficulty accessing the ticket, but I still can't work out how to access the tickets section.

Does clicking on the journey not bring up a greyed-out ticket asking you to activate it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AY1975

Established Member
Does clicking on the journey not bring up a greyed-out ticket asking you to activate it

Yes it does, and as I said it asks you to go to the tickets section to activate it but I can't work out how to do that.

Anyhow I've sent Chiltern a message using the online form on their website explaining the problem and suggesting that they should switch to proper e-tickets that are simply emailed as PDFs as many other train operators do.

I'm guessing that you might only be able to activate it on the day itself, but when I used the Grand Central app a few months back (see comment 18 above) I couldn't even work out how to access it on the actual day of travel.

Last edited:

JBuchananGB

Absolutely you should only activate it on the day of travel. There have been posts on here about people who thought it would be clever to activate m-tickets the day before, and found that it was then seen as USED by ticket inspectors, with ensuing difficulties.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Absolutely you should only activate it on the day of travel. There have been posts on here about people who thought it would be clever to activate m-tickets the day before, and found that it was then seen as USED by ticket inspectors, with ensuing difficulties.

The wording doesn't help. The return half of my last one invited me to activate it on the same day, not making it at all clear I should wait until the day of travel.

AY1975

Established Member
UPDATE: Chiltern has got back to me, and I've (hopefully) now resolved the matter. All I have to do is tap "Bookings" in the app, go to the relevant booking and tap "view" to retrieve my ticket. Probably best not to do that until the actual day of travel, though.

AY1975

Established Member
I see that Chiltern has now changed to offering proper e-tickets. They say that they have done this following customer feedback (presumably including myself!). You can still access your ticket (which I suppose is then still effectively an m-ticket although it doesn't need activating) via the app, but you also get it emailed to you as a PDF.

Grand Central, Great Western and TransPennine Express, please take note!

smsm1

I've found the Chiltern app can be a bit non-obvious where you have to tap to view the tickets on the bookings tab. Once you get it, it's then easy enough. An "Enable" button comes up to enable the ticket.

tarq

I see that Chiltern has now changed to offering proper e-tickets. They say that they have done this following customer feedback (presumably including myself!). You can still access your ticket (which I suppose is then still effectively an m-ticket although it doesn't need activating) via the app, but you also get it emailed to you as a PDF.

Grand Central, Great Western and TransPennine Express, please take note!

Grand Central did the same last week also in response to customer feedback.

https://www.grandcentralrail.com/tickets/ticket-types/e-tickets

• No need to activate your e-tickets anymore
  • Get your e-tickets as an e-mail attachment
  • Display or print your e-tickets on any device

td97

Established Member
It appears GC and Chiltern both updated their mobile apps and booking systems last week to provide proper e-tickets, including in PDF format on the booking email. Presumably Northern and XC to follow soon.
Whether Avanti also follow is a question mark as they continued use of the Trainline-style app from VT days, but as all other First TOCs use Worldline I wouldn't be surprised if they change to that at some point in the future.

CrispyUK

It appears GC and Chiltern both updated their mobile apps and booking systems last week to provide proper e-tickets, including in PDF format on the booking email. Presumably Northern and XC to follow soon.
Whether Avanti also follow is a question mark as they continued use of the Trainline-style app from VT days
I booked a ticket through Avanti back in December, and received a proper pdf e-ticket via email - although if accessing the ticket through their app, it presents as an m-ticket requiring download to a single device and activation on day of travel.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Whether Avanti also follow is a question mark as they continued use of the Trainline-style app from VT days, but as all other First TOCs use Worldline I wouldn't be surprised if they change to that at some point in the future.
That's because their app's are run by SilverRail.
Northern and XC's I believe are still Trainline.
Sam

Wallsendmag

Established Member

Sam
Although Trenitalia have a bespoke system that they own.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The irony of Trainline managed apps not providing e-tickets is that the main Trainline app does! I've never quite understood why they seem to have multiple different ones rather than just skinning the same one with each TOC's branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.