E-tickets and non-reservable legs of Advances

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by JoeM1V, 10 Sep 2019.

1. JoeM1V

JoeM1V New Member

I've just bought an Advance from Bournville in Birmingham to Euston. Normally I go for ticket-on-departure but I decided to try e-ticketing.

The e-ticket that came through has a fixed time for both the local, non-reservable (Bournville to Birmingham New Street) leg and for the Virgin leg to Euston. If I'd got the ticket from a TVM, it would only have a reservation for the Virgin leg printed on it, leaving me free to take any "reasonable" connecting local train.

Would it be permitted to take a slightly earlier (but still "reasonable") train into New Street than is printed on the ticket, given that this would (as I understand) be permitted if no local train were printed, as would be the case with a "proper" ticket?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. crosscity

crosscity Member

Was there a confirmation email and if so does that mention th Bournville train? At one time unreservable trains were included in the confirmation email as 'Suggested services'. Note - I have never bought an e-ticket and have only used TOD or post.

I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem. The chances of someone looking at your ticket between Bournville and New St are small, and even if your ticket was checked I can't see the guard or even travelling ticket inspectors being bothered. Nor the people on the barriers at New St, if they are manned.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2019
  4. JoeM1V

JoeM1V New Member

The confirmation email mentioned the Bournville train in that it shows the full itinerary, just like it would with a paper ticket. Showing unreservable legs as "suggested services" makes a lot of sense, any idea why they don't do that any more?

You're absolutely right, I doubt it'll be an issue in practice, this was more of a hypothetical question about what's officially allowed.