• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E-tickets and non-reservable legs of Advances

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeM1V

I've just bought an Advance from Bournville in Birmingham to Euston. Normally I go for ticket-on-departure but I decided to try e-ticketing.

The e-ticket that came through has a fixed time for both the local, non-reservable (Bournville to Birmingham New Street) leg and for the Virgin leg to Euston. If I'd got the ticket from a TVM, it would only have a reservation for the Virgin leg printed on it, leaving me free to take any "reasonable" connecting local train.

Would it be permitted to take a slightly earlier (but still "reasonable") train into New Street than is printed on the ticket, given that this would (as I understand) be permitted if no local train were printed, as would be the case with a "proper" ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

crosscity

I've just bought an Advance from Bournville in Birmingham to Euston. Normally I go for ticket-on-departure but I decided to try e-ticketing.

The e-ticket that came through has a fixed time for both the local, non-reservable (Bournville to Birmingham New Street) leg and for the Virgin leg to Euston. If I'd got the ticket from a TVM, it would only have a reservation for the Virgin leg printed on it, leaving me free to take any "reasonable" connecting local train.

Would it be permitted to take a slightly earlier (but still "reasonable") train into New Street than is printed on the ticket, given that this would (as I understand) be permitted if no local train were printed, as would be the case with a "proper" ticket?
Was there a confirmation email and if so does that mention th Bournville train? At one time unreservable trains were included in the confirmation email as 'Suggested services'. Note - I have never bought an e-ticket and have only used TOD or post.

I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem. The chances of someone looking at your ticket between Bournville and New St are small, and even if your ticket was checked I can't see the guard or even travelling ticket inspectors being bothered. Nor the people on the barriers at New St, if they are manned.

Last edited:

JoeM1V

Was there a confirmation email and if so does that mention th Bournville train? At one time unreservable trains were included in the confirmation email as 'Suggested services'. Note - I have never bought an e-ticket and have only used TOD or post.

The confirmation email mentioned the Bournville train in that it shows the full itinerary, just like it would with a paper ticket. Showing unreservable legs as "suggested services" makes a lot of sense, any idea why they don't do that any more?

I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem. The chances of someone looking at your ticket between Bournville and New St are small, and even if your ticket was checked I can't see the guard or even travelling ticket inspectors being bothered. Nor the people on the barriers at New St, if they are manned.

You're absolutely right, I doubt it'll be an issue in practice, this was more of a hypothetical question about what's officially allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.