• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHESHIRECAT

Anyone know why these aren't available for internal Scottish journies or those starting in Merseyside
E.g. Edinburgh to Helensburgh or Aintree to Carnforth?
Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Because ScotRail and Merseyrail, along with a few other TOCs, are intractably opposed to e-tickets. So they do not enable them on their own flows, and object to any other TOCs enabling them for flows which are likely to involve travel on their services.

They would rather subject passengers to the nonsense of m-tickets.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Interesting! I couldn't find an "M' ticket option on Scotrail website
ScotRail only began offering mtickets recently so they may not be available for what you're looking for.

Some secondary or less busy London Underground gates will at least have them soon, including Farringdon and Amersham.

sn5775

Apologies for my naivety, but what's the difference between an e-Ticket and an M-Ticket? Is it that an e-Ticket is send to the customer by e-mail and an M-Ticket is app-based?

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Apologies for my naivety, but what's the difference between an e-Ticket and an M-Ticket? Is it that an e-Ticket is send to the customer by e-mail and an M-Ticket is app-based?
Simply, yes. You also have to activte a mTicket and you cannot print a mTicket whereas you can print out an eTicket

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Interesting! I couldn't find an "M' ticket option on Scotrail website
I'm no expert on m-tickets (and don't want to be!) But I think that as they can only be used in the app they can only be purchased in the app.

BingMan

Because ScotRail and Merseyrail, along with a few other TOCs, are intractably opposed to e-tickets. So they do not enable them on their own flows, and object to any other TOCs enabling them for flows which are likely to involve travel on their services.

They would rather subject passengers to the nonsense of m-tickets.
What is the difference between e-tickets and m-tickets?
I find Northern Rail m-tickets very easy to use.
Except that, unlike paper tickets, they cannot be used as bookmarks

Trainbike46

Established Member
What is the difference between e-tickets and m-tickets?
I find Northern Rail m-tickets very easy to use.
Except that, unlike paper tickets, they cannot be used as bookmarks
mTickets must be used within a specific app (usually the app you bought them in), on the device you bought it on, and you must activate the ticket.

eTickets will be provided as a pdf file (usually emailed) which you can print or show on any device.

mTickets can give issues in certain situations, such as overnight break of journey, for tickets that are valid for multiple days or for journeys that cross midnight, such as the last train back home will do in certain places (as most apps will disable the ticket when the day of activation ends, even if the tickets are still valid). eTickets do not have these issues.

Argyle 1980

I’ve seen on Twitter they are trialling the barcode readers at gates, and should have e-tickets by the end of the year (from the Southeastern Twitter team).
I'm pretty shocked at SE potentially accommodating this given their ultra right hard-line stance against them, though I suspect they may have had a gun held to their heads when if/when they agreed to it.
How about St Pancras - Dover Priory? I'm forced to use a paper ticket for this also.
There are a few well known exceptions where E/M-tickets can be legitimatly tested onboard SE services and from experience most of their conductors couldn't give a monkeys fart about them and just say "yep, thanks" and carry on. There's a few examples obviously on services between Ashford and Tonbridge where you might legitimatly use an E-ticket in these circumstances like Marshlink from stations to Gatwick or similar where the route Edenbridge/Polegate is permitted and generally this is rarely a problem or any trouble for the passenger. Obviously during disruption on Southern when ticket acceptance is in place with SE then obviously again there's no issue.
The big problem I've experienced and others on here too have in past is when you start/end your journey short at either Hastings or Ashford and revenue staff on the gatelines are less than hospitiable to them. I got refused entry to Ashford with a return portion Rye to Durrington on Sea issued on GWRs app. I normally print my tickets out too but didn't on this occasion. They even tried citing the incorrect quote on the GWR app that states "break of journey not permitted"
In the end to save missing my train, which was hourly I just bought a super off peak single from Ashford to Durrington and immediately logged it as mis-selling on Barclaycard app and the transaction got blocked.
I read a similar instance on here where somebody at Hastings was refused exit from station to break journey.

You won't find e or m for journeys involving Mersyrail
Would an Anytime single/return any permitted route that's available as an E-ticket not be accepted by Merseyrail then?
Not got any desire to test this out but the walk up fare seems the same between Liverpool SP and Liverpool LS regardless of operator.

Last edited:

alistairlees

Established Member
I'm pretty shocked at SE potentially accommodating this given their ultra right hard-line stance against them, though I suspect they may have had a gun held to their heads when if/when they agreed to it.
It was agreed last year - the stance has long since changed. All TOCs will have eTickets next year.

CHESHIRECAT

There are a few well known exceptions where E/M-tickets can be legitimatly tested onboard SE services and from experience most of their conductors couldn't give a monkeys fart about them and just say "yep, thanks" and carry on. There's a few examples obviously on services between Ashford and Tonbridge where you might legitimatly use an E-ticket in these circumstances like Marshlink from stations to Gatwick or similar where the route Edenbridge/Polegate is permitted and generally this is rarely a problem or any trouble for the passenger. Obviously during disruption on Southern when ticket acceptance is in place with SE then obviously again there's no issue.
The big problem I've experienced and others on here too have in past is when you start/end your journey short at either Hastings or Ashford and revenue staff on the gatelines are less than hospitiable to them. I got refused entry to Ashford with a return portion Rye to Durrington on Sea issued on GWRs app. I normally print my tickets out too but didn't on this occasion. They even tried citing the incorrect quote on the GWR app that states "break of journey not permitted"
In the end to save missing my train, which was hourly I just bought a super off peak single from Ashford to Durrington and immediately logged it as mis-selling on Barclaycard app and the transaction got blocked.
I read a similar instance on here where somebody at Hastings was refused exit from station to break journey.

Would an Anytime single/return any permitted route that's available as an E-ticket not be accepted by Merseyrail then?
Not got any desire to test this out but the walk up fare seems the same between Liverpool SP and Liverpool LS regardless of operator.
Yes!
Tried Edge Hill to Lancaster and it's an e ticket

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Presumably not for 'Maltese cross' cross London travel though?
Some already exist;)

Simply, yes. You also have to activte a mTicket and you cannot print a mTicket whereas you can print out an eTicket
Indeed there is a huge difference, which many people do not realise. M-tickets are to be avoided at all costs in my opinion.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
It was agreed last year - the stance has long since changed. All TOCs will have eTickets next year.
Must have been asleep at that meeting, unless you're counting Mersyrail as a consession and not a TOC. ScotRail are still wary of barcodes as well. I know SE are trialling barcodes but hadn't heard of a full implemtation date

alistairlees

Established Member
Plans, budgets and funding exist for all of them. SE is in progress, and is not a trial. Some commercial negotiations to be finalised with some of the remaining TOCs, but well progressed.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
E-Tickets can be shown on any device you like, phone, tablet, laptop, etc. They can be shown on any number of different devices. You can print them off and use them too if you want. They are, essentially, the same as an orange paper/card ticket but you can show on a device instead and you can't really loose them either.
M-Tickets can do none of the above. You can only show it on the device you purchased it on. You need to activate it before you. Once activated it expires at midnight regardless of whether the ticket remains valid.
Why would you not want an e-ticket?
Why would you want an m-ticket?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Because they are tied to a specific device, meaning if you lose the device, or it runs out of battery - you are SOL and have to buy another ticket.

They require activation, meaning you will have a very hard time getting a refund if you activate the ticket, then abandon your journey due to a cancellation/delay part way through your journey.

They're also problematic if you're buying tickets for a group, as you'd need to share the login details for your booking account unless you want to have all the tickets on your device (which is awkward at ticket barriers).

By contrast, e-tickets are simply PDFs (which can also be displayed natively inside most retailers' apps, or in Google/Apple Pay) so can be downloaded an unlimited amount of times, shared by email/WhatsApp etc. and don't have the problems of being locked to one device. You can also print them out if you like, so you have a backup in case of problems with your device.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Not worth the paper it's written on!

Can you not take a screenshot of an M-ticket?
Therein lies another issue, an m-ticket isn't on paper!
An activated m-ticket has moving colours. A screenshot doesn't, therefore it would be deemed invalid.
Stick with e-tickets.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Once activated it expires at midnight regardless of whether the ticket remains valid.
I suppose we should say that, technically, it is the activated status that expires and not the ticket. However, that seems to be often treated as the ticket having expired, which is why it is a problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.