• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Northern doesn't sell e-tickets last time I used it. It only does m-tickets and TOD.
Ah! I think I must be getting myself confused with the last time I used it which was to buy a Family & Friends ticket which very much is issued by the Northern website as an e-ticket. Thanks for the correction :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Ah! I think I must be getting myself confused with the last time I used it which was to buy a Family & Friends ticket which very much is issued by the Northern website as an e-ticket. Thanks for the correction :)
They are slowly but surely moving to all e-tickets. It's a bit of a pot luck what you get at the moment depending on the route, but they are being sold now.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
My own experience is that e-tickets are more awkwardly delivered. I bought one once from trainsplit, and from one of the two emails (why?) I received I chose the option to add to Google Wallet, or whatever it's called. Which worked, but then when I came to look at the ticket I found I had no app called Wallet, and it appears to be some magical thing which I don't understand at all. Perhaps iPhones give a better user experience
If you purchase from the trainline app it's also in the app

miklcct

On Moderation
London Overground's Class 710 Aventras have USB charging points at the ends of the through coaches, whilst Southern's Electrostar refurbishment program is fitting USB charging points and plug sockets in standard class (on the unrefurbished Electrostars, charging points can only be found in First Class, consisting solely of a plug socket).
I usually travel on the 378 on the Stratford - Richmond / Clapham Junction instead, sometimes for a long journey orbiting London in zone 2.

AY1975

Established Member
Not sure if this has been discussed in another thread, but if you buy tickets for two or more people travelling together and opt for e-tickets, are they issued as one e-ticket for the entire group or as separate e-tickets for each person?

If they are issued as separate e-tickets for each person, presenting them for inspection will obviously be more of a faff, and even more so when passing through ticket gates if the journey starts and/or finishes at a gated station.

If you bought the tickets in a single transaction (which you have to do if you are using a Family & Friends, Two Together or Network Railcard) and using a train operator's app or other ticketing app such as Trainline, you can presumably open the app and retrieve all the tickets for the relevant leg of the journey in one go, though if you have your railcard issued as a digital railcard in a separate app you still have to show that separately (and if you have bought a First Class upgrade using the Seatfrog app, that's a third app that you have to open during a ticket check!).

Obviously one way round the problem, if the tickets are issued as separate e-tickets, is to email each person their ticket for them to show as an attachment on their phone, as long as each person in your group has an internet-enabled smartphone.

jfollows

Established Member
Not sure if this has been discussed in another thread, but if you buy tickets for two or more people travelling together and opt for e-tickets, are they issued as one e-ticket for the entire group or as separate e-tickets for each person?
I only have experience in buying from Avanti's Web site, in which case they have always been issued as two e-tickets and therefore separate PDFs and e-tickets for each person.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I only have experience in buying from Avanti's Web site, in which case they have always been issued as two e-tickets and therefore separate PDFs and e-tickets for each person.
LNER are the same in my experience as are Trainline. Separate PDFs for each person.

OscarH

TrainSplit also issue separate PDFs per passenger

Whether they come as separate PDFs or not all in one you'll always have separate barcodes for each passenger anyway (as there must be a separate barcode per individual ticket (tickets valid for multiple passengers on a single ticket might be a single barcode, I'm not 100% sure))

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On Trainsplit you get one PDF per person, (regardless of the number of tickets each passenger has; each e ticket is simply a separate page within the same PDF).

... as long as each person in your group has an internet-enabled smartphone.
It only has to be connected at the time the e-tickets are received and downloaded to the device.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It might have gone un-noticed, but there were a few posts in another thread last week about Northern and e-tickets starting here:

Status
Not open for further replies.