Ealing Broadway Validators

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you have a Railcard then why do you use Contactless payment rather than an Oyster card with Railcard discount added?
Good point. The £1.70 off-peak fare becomes £1.15 when used with a railcard discount on Oyster.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Travelentails

If you have a Railcard then why do you use Contactless payment rather than an Oyster card with Railcard discount added?
Wow, I genuinely had no idea you were able to do that. I've never had an Oyster card in my life. In that case, I see why it's such a shame Osyter isn't valid all the way from Maidenhead! I'll look into getting one tomorrow. Thank you.

I believe* if you use an Oyster rather than Apple Pay/Google Pay for the contactless portion, you can have your railcard loaded on to it, saving you even more.

* it has been some time since I was a 16-25 cardholder
Thank you, I've never had an Oyster so didn't know this was the case. Appreciate it!

rebmcr

Established Member
To be fair, I've never seen TfL nor any of the National Rail companies advertising that capability. I only knew about it from knowledge gained right here on these forums!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
To be fair, I've never seen TfL nor any of the National Rail companies advertising that capability. I only knew about it from knowledge gained right here on these forums!
TfL were pretty woeful at the start, but they do a good job on their website now. For example, click on fares at the top of the homepage and you'll get a page including a block about discounted fares.

As for the NR TOCs, it's a symptom of their reluctance to be involved in anything to do with Oyster.

Hadders

Established Member
Senior Fares Advisor
As others have said an Oyster card with the railcard discount loaded entitles you to a 34% discount on off peak fares. You can get the discount loaded onto the Oyster card at any London Underground station (although some staff claim might claim they can't do it...)

I'd then also suggest setting auto-top up on your Oyster card so you don't have to faff around topping up. My Oyster card is set to top-up with £20 when the balance falls below £20.

It's s shame Oyster isn't valid west of West Drayton, this is because of techincal issues (Oyster is old tech these days and can't hansle the number of fares zones required). There will hopefully be a solution to railcards on contactless (or a suitable alternative) in the future.