• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ealing Broadway-WLL-Wandsworth Road Service Withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

No. Platform 1 is not being reopened in the forseeable future, and I think the plan is for SLL services to use 16 and 17 (so they don't have to cross the entire SWML).

My understanding is that the existing Plat 2 is being split into two sections, creating a new Plat 1 in the process. (You're correct to say that the current Plat 1 isn't being brought back into use.)

bluenoxid

Established Member
If there is further delay beyond December 2012, the DfT will be involved
in additional costs for extending the “temporary” bus replacement service
between Wandsworth Road and Ealing Broadway (see below).

There was this on page 11. Can anyone find the additional costs (see below)???.

It refers to £23k but that is not really an additional cost.

TEW

Established Member
No. Platform 1 is not being reopened in the forseeable future, and I think the plan is for SLL services to use 16 and 17 (so they don't have to cross the entire SWML).

The old platform 1 isn't being reopened due to concerns about the safety of the bridge it's built on but platform 2 is being extended and split in to two, platform 2 and a new platform 1. Using platforms 16 and 17 would actually mean crossing the whole SWML because the chord from the SLL connects with the WLL at Ludgate Junction having gone under the BML and SWML. I presume both platform 1 and 2 will be available for use by SLL and WLL services as the junction connecting the two is a bit before Clapham Junction.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I presume both platform 1 and 2 will be available for use by SLL and WLL services as the junction connecting the two is a bit before Clapham Junction.

They are available to/from both routes, but in conversation with a TfL manager a few months back they don't intend to use them that way. All WLL trains will normally use P1 (ie the London end of the old P2), and all SLL trains will use the new P2.

TEW

Established Member
Yeh, I was under the impression that the platforms would be for specific use but it's good that they will be available for either route if needed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
My understanding is that the existing Plat 2 is being split into two sections, creating a new Plat 1 in the process. (You're correct to say that the current Plat 1 isn't being brought back into use.)

It has almost been done, it was 90% complete a few weeks ago when I was last at CJ. The platforms were renumbered to P1 and P2 quite a while back, December timetable change maybe?

Recent pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28982714@N06/7209221274/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28982714@N06/7209220044/in/photostream/

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yeh, I was under the impression that the platforms would be for specific use but it's good that they will be available for either route if needed.

I also heard a whisper that they will berth a 'hot spare' dual voltage unit beyond P2, on the extension that forms a single siding. At that location one unit can provide a spare unit with quick access to both routes, SLL and WLL.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Yeh, I think that might have been mentioned in a recent Modern Railways article.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thanks for that. I'll try and take a day off work later in the year just to travel on it.

Another day I might do the Southern service too. Given Southern would be closing the service, I'm surprised they extended the service to Clapham High Street. In fact when announcing train timetable changes on posters, that service change was mentioned.

I thought this meant they were actually interested in running the service more often. Not so. Not that I'm saying they need to of course.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

That's fine for people living on the Thameslink route but not for anyone else. I live in Guildford which isn't near any Thameslink station.

I can get to reading of course and change their and sometimes I do. However most cheap train tickets do route you via London because there are just so many more train from London.

I actually got that train to visit Frinton-on-Sea once. Seem to think it was after work but not sure now. Perhaps such a service wasn't popular enough.

Perhaps what they need is another cross London route from the southwest side of London. Waterloo I believe is one of Britain's busiest railway stations so being able to avoid it or pass through it without having to change trains might be good. Of course all these things cost money.

I Think Thameslink may once again service Guildford when completed. It did for a while some years ago.

Eagle

Established Member
I Think Thameslink may once again service Guildford when completed. It did for a while some years ago.

It won't. The current planned list of southern destinations is Brighton, Three Bridges, Horsham, East Grinstead, Caterham, Tattenham Corner, Tunbridge Wells, Ashford, Maidstone East, Sevenoaks and Bellingham. Although it does seem to change every now and again.

Guildford was the southern terminus for St Albans stoppers from about 1989 to 1993 (before that it was Sevenoaks via Catford, as today). It was switched to the Sutton loop in anticipation of privatization, because they didn't want Thameslink interfering with two franchises at once (South Western and South Central).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Using platforms 16 and 17 would actually mean crossing the whole SWML because the chord from the SLL connects with the WLL at Ludgate Junction having gone under the BML and SWML...

It's an impossible move though, the only connections are with the Windsor side, the Clapham Yard reception lines, and the up main loop, (the latter only in the up direction AFAICT from Quail).

There's no physical connection between the main Waterloo and Victoria routes at Clapham Jn, they are completely separate but parallel railways.

Status
Not open for further replies.