• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Earlestown/Newton-le-Willows car parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Planning a trip into North Wales involving parking forthe day at one or other of these stations (arriving 0810 latest, more likely 0710!) as this seems most efficient. Can anyone with local knowledge please advise...

1. ERL - seems (Googlemaps and other sources) to be large free public car park on Fairclough St opposite station. Is this available every day (one website suggests not on market days Mon and Fri, but I can't find reference to a Monday market...), and what time does it fill up?

2. NLW - Network Rail thinks there is a station car park with 15 or 80 spaces, Northern thinks not - which is correct? Anyone know about the car park on the South side of the line that appears on Googlemaps, is it private?.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Planning a trip into North Wales involving parking forthe day at one or other of these stations (arriving 0810 latest, more likely 0710!) as this seems most efficient. Can anyone with local knowledge please advise...

1. ERL - seems (Googlemaps and other sources) to be large free public car park on Fairclough St opposite station. Is this available every day (one website suggests not on market days Mon and Fri, but I can't find reference to a Monday market...), and what time does it fill up?

2. NLW - Network Rail thinks there is a station car park with 15 or 80 spaces, Northern thinks not - which is correct? Anyone know about the car park on the South side of the line that appears on Googlemaps, is it private?.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Earlestown has a smallish station car park, plus the free public car park as described. Should be plenty of space if you arrive by 08:00 (even on market day, now on Fridays - Monday market ceased some years ago due to terminal decline...). Almost certainly your best option.

Newton Le Willows has a tiny car park, about 15 spaces, and can fill very early, even on saturdays; many commuters park on roads outside the station, some of which have no yellow lines at present. Note that the pub near the station claims some of the parking spaces on the station approach "road". No public car park that I know on the south side _ I think it belongs to industrial units.

Also worth considering is that in the event of the chat moss line getting blocked Arriva are likely to terminate and turn back from Earlestown.

terryc

Newton-le Willows has a new car park (Approx 80 spaces IIRC) which is situated on the south side of the station.
The problem is, that when I pass it in a morning driving to work (approx 7-45) it's usually full. The 'old' carpark on the Station approach is still there, but is for disabled parking only.
Although Earlestown has only a tiny car park, there is a fairly substantial free car park just across the road from it, but as it's on a one-way section, it's not the easiest place to navigate to.

Status
Not open for further replies.