• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Early April Fools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Was in Lincoln last weekend for an hour and a half. Nice day so I decided to buy an ice cream and have a look at what happens at the crossing. I'm sure if Network Rail wanted some easy money they could prosecute all the people who went against the wig-wags when I was there - must have been around 20 people and a few cars in the space of 10 minutes.

David

Established Member
It doesn't help though when the barriers come down for several minutes at a time, then are raised again with nothing going past ....

Established Member
It doesn't help though when the barriers come down for several minutes at a time, then are raised again with nothing going past ....

Same as at any level crossing (unless it happens more frequently at Lincoln I don't know).

YorkshireBear

Established Member
There was one in last paragraph of mdoern railways about running scabrough light railway to whitby :P

David

Established Member
Same as at any level crossing (unless it happens more frequently at Lincoln I don't know).

Last August when I was driving down to Norfolk, I was held up at the crossing as the barriers dropped twice, stayed down for several minutes before raising again with no trains passing. I got across the level crossing a couple of minutes later, only for the same thing to happen again behind me.

Didn't they run an April Fool years ago about running the railway underground?

I dont know, but many many years ago Railway Modeller ran a story about a person who had built a model of part of the London Underground system under his floorboards.

It started quite sensibly for a few paragraphs, and then just became more and more bizarre until even I realised it was a spoof article; but it was very well done and IIRC it even had some photos purporting to show the layout.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The tradition is certainly a before-noon opportunity to 'fool' someone, but for some, the whole day is available for pranks. One tradition specifically confines physically tripping someone up to the afternoon.

(I'm guessing that you have some French) Here's a Belgian newspaper summary of the April Fool stories (Poisson d'Avril) from other papers. It was created before 2pm indicating the presumption that the opportunity had passed. http://www.levif.be/info/actualite/insolite/les-poissons-d-avril-peches-ce-matin/article-4000075367591.htm

Ivo

Established Member
I've seen previously that anyone who attempts an April Fool after noon is considered an April Fool themselves!

Unfortunately, Wikipedia seems to have lost track of most of the April Fools informaiton it had a couple of days ago, because some had the bright idea of allowing the article to be sabotaged on April 1st!

Butts

Veteran Member
The Independent on Sunday had an article about a "hosepipe amnesty" which involved handing them in and collecting them after the drought had ended.

I take it this was a "wind up" :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.