• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Early boarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge-gn

Evening all. Does anyone know if you can board Intercities de nuit trains from Paris much before departure? I am travelling with young children so any early boarding would be great! There's not much for a toddler at 2200 in Paris I doubt!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flash

Evening all. Does anyone know if you can board Intercities de nuit trains from Paris much before departure? I am travelling with young children so any early boarding would be great! There's not much for a toddler at 2200 in Paris I doubt!

That would depend on your definition of early boarding :D my experience of night trains in France is about 30 minutes before departure - if all is going well...

Veteran Member
Slightly off topic, but if you are struggling for somewhere to sit/get child ready for bed, ask a member of staff for help. I recall many years ago waiting for a late evening Motorail at Avignon Ville in a similar situation, finding all the facilities shut, and being let into a staff facility.

Gordon

Rather depends on what service you are using.

Since Austerlitz has much less daytime traffic taking up its platforms, most stock for the night trains is shunted into Austerlitz way ahead of departure time, but may not be 'released' for occupancy until later. Always worth asking a member of staff if you get the chance.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was travelling from Austerlitz a few months ago, on a daytime train and boarding commenced about 20-30 minutes ago from Platform 1 or 2, which are right over on the left hand side, there seems to be a lot of building work there and those platforms are all covered over, with unusual coloured lights leading the way, quite futuristic really, unlike the rest of the station which is open. I preferred this station to Lyon or Nord which are much busier and crowded.

Groningen

Established Member
Speaking french is also a benefit as most french people think that it is the only langiage in the world. The question is also; do you have reservations, because than it does not matter.

Gordon

Platform 1 or 2, which are right over on the left hand side, there seems to be a lot of building work there and those platforms are all covered over, with unusual coloured lights leading the way, quite futuristic really,

All part of the massive rebuild of Austerlitz, for completion in 2020

http://www.sncf.com/fr/presse/fil-info/Austerlitz_2020_premiere_etape

Gare de Lyon has always been 'my' station for heading south to the rellys in Rhone Alpes, but I always like to visit the station however briefly, as it was always good for variety (one of my early shots after leaving home and making solo trips to France with a 35mm camera was of a 1930s 2D2 5500 loco on the blocks in 1977.

What I love about Austerlitz is how low the platforms are in the original central hall. You can stand by locos and their full height towers above you. The central hall also has a lovely feel at night I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.