• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Early Closing and Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Established Member
The village I live in, in Wales, all shops & post-office closed half-day Wed until about 2-3 years ago. The electrical shop still does.

Thanks Michael for a very informative post.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

michael769

Established Member
Thurso doesn't. Some places still close for lunch, which is about as archaic as it gets.

I think it is just the Western Isles that maintains a rigorous observance of the sabbath, but even there the cracks are starting to show....

The village I live in, in Wales, all shops & post-office closed half-day Wed until about 2-3 years ago. The electrical shop still does.

Which reminds me that the Post Offices in Barrhead always took their half day on a Wednesday and Saturday - something which persisted right through till I moved away in 2001. Indeed the local post office to me only switched to a full day on a Wednesday a couple of years ago, it's still a half day on a Sat.

I also vaguely recall that some small shops were shut entirely on a Tuesday. One of our local co-op used to also close at 1 on a Friday on bank holiday weekends.

I have never actually worked anywhere that observed the public holidays in full - pretty much all have added them to annual leave. Some folks gripe (even though they could take them if they wished) but I prefer being able to pick my days off.

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My workplace was open (with reduced staffing) on Friday and Monday. This is because we trade internationally with companies in traditionally non-christian countries whose public holidays do not align with ours - to close would mean we would lose out on business that would go elsewhere.

To my surprise, my local 24-hour Tesco Extra was closed all day on Easter Monday.

To broaden the subject slightly, I high street shops really need to reconsider their opening hours, and that the Sunday Trading laws should be relaxed. We now live in a world where it is not uncommon for all adults in a household to be in full-time employment. It makes no sense for a shop to be open 9-5 Monday to Saturday, as a large population is unable to visit these shops in those hours on a weekday anyway.

Surely it would make more sense for shops to open late into the evening, and longer on weekends, even it came at the expense of closing for mornings etc to be able to afford the staffing. Even doing this one or two days a week (and co-ordinating with other local shops) could make a huge difference, e.g. "Open noon - 10pm every Wednesday and Friday". As it stands at the moment, the majority of time that I am not at work my local shops are closed so I can't support the local economy even if I want to, so I buy online or visit big out of town shopping centres that are open.

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm a bit late to this one, but...
How did you spend Good Friday and what will you do Easter Monday?
Up before 0400 on both, to work the early turn. At 2.5x pay (and higher grade duty too) for both, I'd much rather do that than go out anywhere to spend the day fighting traffic jams and crowds of people!

radamfi

Established Member
Were Tesco delivering shopping yesterday? I had a look on Saturday at their website and noticed that there were delivery slots showing for Easter Sunday but they were all crossed out, suggesting they were all booked up. For next Sunday, they are spare delivery slots most of the day from 0700 to 2200. So given that you can get your shopping delivered for practically the whole of Sunday, that means that people have to work to pick and deliver your shopping, which basically makes a farce of the Sunday trading regulations. You might as well open the normal store the whole day as well.

SS4

Established Member
I am sure you are true to your beliefs in both Aston Villa and what you say above, but do you take these bank holidays even though you express your reservations ?

I do not have much choice, if my employer decides I have these days off I must take them off but I do not do anything I would not do on a normal (week)day off and I worked yesterday

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Rather than joined the myriad hordes flocking to the seaside, as the weather was sunny and warm, we drove through the local lanes taking the back route to Wilmslow then down the A34 to John Lewis at Cheadle Royal where we had a leisurely time looking at good quality goods and purchasing some of these. We then had lunch at their restaurant and returned home in good humour.

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Yes! This is well overdue and it's high time that Easter wasn't moved every single year. For one, it makes it very difficult to predict sales and organise staff levels properly and for two, the constant moving of it is just outlandishly stupid. If we're supposed to be celebrating a miraculous event, why is it on a different date every year? I'm not doubting the ability for him to come back on different days if he wanted to, but I just don't see how it works.

We'd be better off letting those who want to celebrate Easter do so and let the rest of us get on with our lives as normal.

This may answer your question...

http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/qt/whyeasterchange.htm

The Short Answer

At the heart of the matter lies a very simple explanation. The early church fathers wished to keep the observance of Easter in correlation to the Jewish Passover. Because the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ happened after the Passover, they wanted Easter to always be celebrated subsequent to the Passover. And, since the Jewish holiday calendar is based on solar and lunar cycles, each feast day is movable, with dates shifting from year to year. Now, from here the explanation grows more complicated.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thank you for that, most useful.

I have a similiar problem to manicmartin, all my local shops are shut before I get home from work so supporting the local economy isn't easy for me. Doing the shopping before work is less than ideal, and most often on my days off either shops are shut all day or I'm out and about well before they open up for the day and I'm back way after they shut. That, and since I work in a supermarket, I can get what I need there after work. Not exactly supporting the local economy, but it helps keeps jobs in my shop so it works out well!

GB

Established Member
I understand your plight completely. I don't have any local shops so its the supermarket or nothing but I look forward to the day that the Sunday trading laws are relaxed...providing the stores open on a volunteer basis where staff is concerned.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think it is just the Western Isles that maintains a rigorous observance of the sabbath, but even there the cracks are starting to show....

The Western Isles were one of the parts of the northern area of Scotland that I had in mind when I made my posting. Is there still the same religious religious preponderances between the areas of the north and the areas to the south of these islands as there were in the late 1950's and early 1960's when I last was in that region ?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, towards the south there is a greater preponderance of recalcitrant Jacobites who still adhere to the Church of Rome. As you travel north the Wee Frees gain in number until an absolute majority is reached at the Butt of Lewis.

Clip

Established Member
Im still gutted if the local offy isnt open after 2300. Luckily its nearly 24 hours :)

Tom B

Established Member
When living in Edinburgh I always found it confusing when banks would observe English bank holidays, whilst most other businesses followed the local holidays. Just to confuse matters further, a few chain shops would observe English holidays.

The Scottish model of Sunday trading is, I believe, to leave the matter up to the local council. I find the English system somewhat outdated.

Butts

Veteran Member
When living in Edinburgh I always found it confusing when banks would observe English bank holidays, whilst most other businesses followed the local holidays. Just to confuse matters further, a few chain shops would observe English holidays.

The Scottish model of Sunday trading is, I believe, to leave the matter up to the local council. I find the English system somewhat outdated.

At least with the English system you know where you stand particularly on Sundays :p

As you have identified in Scotland it is a mish mash- on Sundays between 24 hours and ???????

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
No one here lives in an area with early closing days then?

Llanelli used to have early closing on a Tuesday. Even though the practice stopped before I moved here, many older residents still seem to think that it is a half day, and what is elft of the town is noticeably quieter on a Tuesday PM than it is in the morning, or on any other afternoon.

Except of course, our adjectival local sub post office which closes on Wednesday afternoons, which I onlyb discovered after struggling up a steep hill to get there the other day. Wish I could take half a day off, just because I felt like it...

It is the Post Office that decides opening hours, and the sub postmaste rmust adhere to those times. As one found out some years ago when they refused not to close for lunch and were relieved of their duties after several warnings.

That doesn't mean that hours can't change, but it is not something that the person running the post office has a lot of say in, and this is made clear when you apply for the role.

To broaden the subject slightly, I high street shops really need to reconsider their opening hours, and that the Sunday Trading laws should be relaxed. We now live in a world where it is not uncommon for all adults in a household to be in full-time employment. It makes no sense for a shop to be open 9-5 Monday to Saturday, as a large population is unable to visit these shops in those hours on a weekday anyway.

Surely it would make more sense for shops to open late into the evening, and longer on weekends, even it came at the expense of closing for mornings etc to be able to afford the staffing. Even doing this one or two days a week (and co-ordinating with other local shops) could make a huge difference, e.g. "Open noon - 10pm every Wednesday and Friday". As it stands at the moment, the majority of time that I am not at work my local shops are closed so I can't support the local economy even if I want to, so I buy online or visit big out of town shopping centres that are open.[/

I agree, in general. Although I know many people here who work four days on and four days off, so have plenty of opportunity to use the shops betwen 9 and 5. There are also those who are out on the road for one reason or another, who would buy snacks and drinks during the day.

My personal view is that it would make sense for some shops to open up later and close later. I think that having variable hours might only cause confusion.

Having said that, we do have a Lifestyle Express and a Spar within easy walking distance that both open from 0700 to 2000 or 2200 already. There is also a small shop that opens in the afternoon and early evening only, though he seems to pick and choose what time he will actually close.

I understand your plight completely. I don't have any local shops so its the supermarket or nothing but I look forward to the day that the Sunday trading laws are relaxed...providing the stores open on a volunteer basis where staff is concerned.

The trouble is that the supermarkets have killed off a lot of local shops. Ironically, Tesco and Sainsbury's have then moved in with their small supermarkets and replaced what used to be family businesses with their own.

In my old village, the local shops, with one exception, didn't open after 1800. The ones that closed were those that would not move with the times and amend their trading hours and practices. One of them still retained an old counter and bacon slicer right up to its last day, when customers clearly preferred being able to serve themselves and being able to pick what they wanted, rather than wait to be served.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There are a few small family-run shops that open in the evenings on my street. One is something like 12 noon - 10 pm and always busy. Another amazingly manages 24-7 (including all day Sunday). Sadly I'm not a fan of the produce that they sell :(

Last edited:

gswindale

[/B]

At least with the English system you know where you stand particularly on Sundays :p

I have no idea where I stand on a Sunday!

Some town centres are open 10-4, some 10:30-4:30, some 11-5 and last time I went to London on a Sunday I seem to recall it was 12-6.

Only thing consistent is the number of hours. No consistency as to which hours between neighbouring towns which can make things a little annoying.

radamfi

Established Member
Cycle shops and motor vehicle accessory shops (such as Halfords) in England are allowed to open all day on Sunday.

hassaanhc

Established Member
There is a corner shop I know in Hounslow that is open 0700-0300! A total of 20 hours :P and they do Oyster Top Up

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It is the Post Office that decides opening hours, and the sub postmaste rmust adhere to those times. As one found out some years ago when they refused not to close for lunch and were relieved of their duties after several warnings.

That doesn't mean that hours can't change, but it is not something that the person running the post office has a lot of say in, and this is made clear when you apply for the role.

Our most local post office (sadly there is no longer one in our village) no longer closes for a half day, but the post office part of the shop does. Most odd as there's usually just one person serving in there whether the post office is open or not - so there's 3 hours a week you can buy your fruit and veg but not buy stamps.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Our most local post office (sadly there is no longer one in our village) no longer closes for a half day, but the post office part of the shop does. Most odd as there's usually just one person serving in there whether the post office is open or not - so there's 3 hours a week you can buy your fruit and veg but not buy stamps.

I know of a small post office where the owners are flexible for regular customers. When the Post Office is closed, the shop part take your cash for your parcels, and then they keep the parcels behind the shop counter, then when its item to clock on, they scan them all through the Post Office computer so it appears to Post Office HQ that the transaction was done at the correct time. They even save the change for you to collect a few days later.

Butts

Veteran Member

Some town centres are open 10-4, some 10:30-4:30, some 11-5 and last time I went to London on a Sunday I seem to recall it was 12-6.

Only thing consistent is the number of hours. No consistency as to which hours between neighbouring towns which can make things a little annoying.

Seemples.......:p:p

From what you say above visit between 12 and 3 and that covers all the angles !!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is a corner shop I know in Hounslow that is open 0700-0300! A total of 20 hours :P and they do Oyster Top Up

That's nothing there are two shops in Glasgow a stones throw from where I work that are open 24 hours all day every day - ironically they are three or four doors apart - mad or what :p

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I know of a small post office where the owners are flexible for regular customers. When the Post Office is closed, the shop part take your cash for your parcels, and then they keep the parcels behind the shop counter, then when its item to clock on, they scan them all through the Post Office computer so it appears to Post Office HQ that the transaction was done at the correct time. They even save the change for you to collect a few days later.

I don't see anything wrong with that. As I say, it's the PO authorities that decide the opening hours, and payment of the PO salary is based on the opening hours and number/value of transactions concluded at the PO counter. So they are helping themselves and their customers!

I have a feeling that should anything be processed on the PO systems outside of the official opening hours (give or take a minute or three) then it would not be counted as part of the business, and questions may even be asked.

Of course, the business owner has a lot of flexibility over how and when they run the other side of their business that is not under the watchful eyes of the PO!

Deerfold

Veteran Member

You have consistency within your town centre? In my local one some stores open at 1000, some 1100, a handful 1200, closing between 1600 and 1800. If I want to visit a handful of stores I have to investigate all their opening hours or visit between 1200 and 1600.

GB

Established Member

Sounds good in principle and its good to see shop owners thinking about their customers, but doesn't that leave all sorts of liability issues?

radamfi

Established Member
Some towns have more than one big Tesco. I wonder if they have considered staggering the Sunday opening hours so that one of them opens, say 0800 to 1400 and the other opens, say 1200 to 1800?

Tom B

Established Member
I believe that the Sunday trading rules state that the hours must be six between 1000 and 1800. There are, of course, exceptions (small premises, garages, etc??).

Flamingo

Established Member
Some friends were in Dublin earlier in the year for the rugby. After booking into a hotel early in the morning, they went out to a pub across the road and knocked on the closed door. The conversation with the owner went
- "Are you open?"
- "How many of you are there?"
- "Thirty seven"
- "I am now!"

Status
Not open for further replies.