• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Early Railway Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nightrider

Is that the same place?

Exact same spot, one photo is from 1965.

The later one is about 25 years later.

http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/616232/ear1.jpg

http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/616233/ear2.jpg

The line was called the Hamiltonhill Branch Line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamiltonhill_Branch

Thousands of walking wounded were taken directly from channel ports during WW1 400 miles north and on to this line which had a single track spur off the branch line into Stobhill General Hospital in Glasgow.
During peace time the single track was used to deliver coal direct to the hospital boilers.

chefjohn

Seeing a blue King on a running in turn calling at Southall on a semi fast to Paddington.
Travelling to Newcastle on a 22 coach wartime train from Kings Cross.
Seeing a train at Shanklin IOW during the war.

At_traction

My earliest 'clear' memory was travelling from Fulwell to London Waterloo and back on a 455 in 1997 before a long drive back up to Preston.

Went back to Waterloo in 2008 for the first time since and I could remember absolutely nothing :(

Often smells (in a pleasant or unpleasant way) can be things that "bring it back". Myself the early years in the London Underground (in a pram! 8-)) remained almost unconsciously in the shapes of the tiled station tunnels and the old station-y smell (not unpleasant) and the whiff of air that an arriving train pushes into the platforms. Many years later (and then, later still) these were brought back immediately. As well as the shape of the trains themselves, of course.

Cant remember seeing a Deltic, but certainly remember the sound of HST's departing.

Not going into the "12RP200L vs. 16V4000" debate, but how many would remember - as vividly - aeons later an MTU loco departing...? ;) Must be kind of like the steaming, smoking and huffing which really bring a youthful attention to a steam engine. That and a talking tank engine on the telly. :p

jimrbrobinson

Maybe not my earliest railway memory, but certainly one of the most memorable of my younger years, was a day trip to York with my grandparents when I was about 7. One of the places we visited was the National Railway Forum, and I remember for the first time realising just how BIG trains really were!! Standing alongside at the same ground level, looking in awe at the size of the wheels on the 4-6-4. Trains hadn't looked quite so impressive at platform level!!! :)

12CSVT

Established Member
When I was 3 years old, going on an Excursion to the West Highland line in 1972 and seeing a long line of withdrawn Claytons outside Springburn works waiting scrapping.
Other early memories were double headed class 50s on the WCML and locos in their pre-TOPS numbers. At the age of 5 I saw a class 87 for the first time

oldrailman

In the late 60s we lived overlooking the line near Chesterfield. Watching the 'Peaks', green 47s and maroon Mk1s.
Chasing Deltics at York in the hot summer of '76.
Spotting at KX in the 80s when on leave from the RAF.
My trips between Glasgow and Edinburgh with push/pull 27s.
My 12 years working at New Street from 1989 to 2001 and seeing the sad change from BR to privatisation.
:(

AndyJB

Vauge recollection of almost-new HST's accelerating through Oldfield Park (Bath).

Definitely recall sitting on the Dawlish sea wall watching BR blue Peaks, 47's 50's and HST's when on my holidays in my much younger years.

Saxonia

Some of my very earliest memories would have to include seeing Black 5's shunting in the coalyard behind the old Morecambe Euston Rd station, which was still standing, but had been closed for a few years by this time.
Classes 25, 40, 47 pulling into Morecambe Promenade with day excursions formed of maroon/Blue+grey mixed Mk 1 rakes - also long rakes of 1st generation dmu's employed on timetabled services + excursions.
The incessant freight traffic to be seen along the branch to Heysham Moss + Heysham Harbour - freightliners, fertilisers, chemicals, petrol & oil - hauled by 25, 31, 40, 47's.
Watching out for the loco-hauled boat trains to Heysham Harbour every night - the Belfast Boat Express (ex Man Victoria), & usuallly a steam-heat 40, & the Ulster Express (ex London Euston), & invariably 50 hauled. The boat train from Leeds was a 6 car dmu formation, & always formed by 2 x 3 car 110/111 Rolls Royce units.
Going to Steamtown, Carnforth, & having completely unfettered access to the likes of such steam giants as Flying Scotsman, Sir Nigel Gresley, Lord Nelson, Clan Line, Duchess of Hamilton.
Happiest days of my life - can't possibly think why I joined up with the much missed institution that was British Rail back in 1980. Still a guard today, but it ain't the same at all (oh, for a time machine, to be sure).

NXEA!

I have 4 memories that have helped me to fall in love with railways. The first one was the first time I went out when I was 3 years old in 1998 and my grandad took me to Willesden Junction Low Level and none other than 31420 was pottering around the depot in intercity livery. Also going to Paddington for the first time and having to hold my grandads hand because I was scared of the noisy and smelly but loveable valenta engined hsts there. My 2nd favourite is just visiting Clapham Junction many a time watching Ceps/Beps, Veps and Cigs clatter through on expresses. And finally my favourite is getting a run behind 47810 between crewe and london in 2004 thanks to 87004 and 87033 having disgraced themselves, and the train was diverted via bescot and as we crawled past we paralleled 37667 pottering around the yard. Oh happy days! :)

deltic1989

Established Member
My earliest railway memory was when i was about 5 or 6 years old, my Dad took me to the Nene Valley Railway, to see Flying Scotsman (at this time in BR Colours as 60103). I remember being captivated by the sight sound and smell of this huge snorting steam engine that with its very appearance oozed power, then i hid behind my Dad when the driver blew the whistle and scared me half to death :lol: . i seem to remember leaving my hat on the train when we went for a ride. and crying when my Dad said we had to go.

class 101

Green 47's on maroon and blue/grey Mk1's hammering through Solihull early 1970's. Did Westerns appear on Padd-Brums at this time?.
Laira 46's going to Leeds at a four tracked Royston Junction 1978. 40035 at Methley Junction on Presflos Feb 1979. 08306 (I think) still with BR lion and wheel on 16 tonners Walton Aug 1977. Loads of 76 hauled freight at Dunford Bridge June 1979 whilst on school trip at outward bound centre, 76022 with lion and wheel. Photostop with 40011 on Settle & Carlisle Centenary special at Ribblehead May 1976.
Now all victims of plasticity.

Rugd1022

Green 47's on maroon and blue/grey Mk1's hammering through Solihull early 1970's. Did Westerns appear on Padd-Brums at this time?.
Laira 46's going to Leeds at a four tracked Royston Junction 1978. 40035 at Methley Junction on Presflos Feb 1979. 08306 (I think) still with BR lion and wheel on 16 tonners Walton Aug 1977. Loads of 76 hauled freight at Dunford Bridge June 1979 whilst on school trip at outward bound centre, 76022 with lion and wheel. Photostop with 40011 on Settle & Carlisle Centenary special at Ribblehead May 1976.
Now all victims of plasticity.

I think the Westerns came back onto the Brum line sometime in 1974, there were certainly plenty of them still rostered for the out and back jobs from Padd throughout 1975 and 76, on 1M09, 1M10 / 1V28, 1V38 etc. Happy days.

I've been conducting HSTs over the Chiltern this week in and out of Padd, it's been great reminiscing about the WR with some of the drivers and reliving a few memories of my own. At about 22.00 on Tuesday night platforms 1 to 10 were completely empty and it all looked quite spooky.... I was half expecting a Hymek to turn up with some empty stock.....;)

Nidge

9K43

Some of my very earliest memories would have to include seeing Black 5's shunting in the coalyard behind the old Morecambe Euston Rd station, which was still standing, but had been closed for a few years by this time.
Classes 25, 40, 47 pulling into Morecambe Promenade with day excursions formed of maroon/Blue+grey mixed Mk 1 rakes - also long rakes of 1st generation dmu's employed on timetabled services + excursions.
The incessant freight traffic to be seen along the branch to Heysham Moss + Heysham Harbour - freightliners, fertilisers, chemicals, petrol & oil - hauled by 25, 31, 40, 47's.
Watching out for the loco-hauled boat trains to Heysham Harbour every night - the Belfast Boat Express (ex Man Victoria), & usuallly a steam-heat 40, & the Ulster Express (ex London Euston), & invariably 50 hauled. The boat train from Leeds was a 6 car dmu formation, & always formed by 2 x 3 car 110/111 Rolls Royce units.
Going to Steamtown, Carnforth, & having completely unfettered access to the likes of such steam giants as Flying Scotsman, Sir Nigel Gresley, Lord Nelson, Clan Line, Duchess of Hamilton.
Happiest days of my life - can't possibly think why I joined up with the much missed institution that was British Rail back in 1980. Still a guard today, but it ain't the same at all (oh, for a time machine, to be sure).

My vintage is Jan 1981, when I started at Huddersfield as a guard.
Doing PayTrains to Sheffield via Sheff Vic/Barnsley
Huddersfield to Clayton West with the Almex Machine and £5 float in a poly bag, plus the excess book.
Working Scaboro jobs with a set of MK1 steam heated Class 40's.
Working on 2 car 4 engined DMU.s which flew up the Penistone Line as though it was a down hill run(1/50), and gassed you with the heaters.
All now gone and scrapped.

Nigel Cliff

Back in the late 1950's and 60's my bedroom overlooked the line up to Dudley ands I used to spend hours watching very dirty black engines and slightly cleaner DMU's

class 101

More memories, 31292 towing condemned 55012 'crepello' through York on 20/5/81, 55010 was on a KX stopper that day.

55002 on North Briton railtour 25/4/81, Leeds to Edinburgh stopped at Settle Junction due to snow blockage on S&C, train had to reverse off S&C and onto the Carnforth line. 55002 followed 45134 on diverted Nottingham-Glasgow, 25034 held at home signal to let 55002 do it's stuff. Deltic over Shap, Hells Bells!. 40101 at Edinburgh on Aberdeen train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think the Westerns came back onto the Brum line sometime in 1974, there were certainly plenty of them still rostered for the out and back jobs from Padd throughout 1975 and 76, on 1M09, 1M10 / 1V28, 1V38 etc. Happy days.

I've been conducting HSTs over the Chiltern this week in and out of Padd, it's been great reminiscing about the WR with some of the drivers and reliving a few memories of my own. At about 22.00 on Tuesday night platforms 1 to 10 were completely empty and it all looked quite spooky.... I was half expecting a Hymek to turn up with some empty stock.....;)

Nidge

Thanks for info, I moved away from Solihull 1973 so I definately would'nt have seen any Wizzos then!.

Rugd1022

More memories, 31292 towing condemned 55012 'crepello' through York on 20/5/81, 55010 was on a KX stopper that day.

55002 on North Briton railtour 25/4/81, Leeds to Edinburgh stopped at Settle Junction due to snow blockage on S&C, train had to reverse off S&C and onto the Carnforth line. 55002 followed 45134 on diverted Nottingham-Glasgow, 25034 held at home signal to let 55002 do it's stuff. Deltic over Shap, Hells Bells!. 40101 at Edinburgh on Aberdeen train.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Thanks for info, I moved away from Solihull 1973 so I definately would'nt have seen any Wizzos then!.

They did appear occasionally before the booked jobs of '74 onwards, usually when the booked 47 failed on Old Oak or at Padd (often at the last minute, just before departure!). In '73 and '74, Hymek D7026 worked Padd-Brums on several occasions for the same reason.

I've just noticed the Banbury North Box comment in your signature... I take it you work the box? Dare say we've exchanged a cheery wave or two as I've passed by on 6V14 / 6M22 / 6M80. I'll be at Banbury later tonight, conducting a couple of HSTs ;o)

Nidge

matchmaker

Established Member
Picking the smuts out of my eyes on a Glasgow St Enoch - Ardrossan (I think) train, going away for a holiday "Doon the Watter".

I still remember the leather straps that you rolled the window down on - ex LMS non-corridor coaches.

I couldn't have been more than 5.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My earliest memories are of sitting at the end of the platforms at Lincoln Central watching the freight trains passing through on their was to and from Immingham. In addition to this, I always used to insist on watching the nightly InterCity to Cleethorpes pass my grandparents house.

I didn't know anything about the types of train until my parents bought me a video about Lincoln's railways for Christmas a few years later. After this I was hooked, and have had an interest in railways ever since. I must have watched every video on railways, and read every book in the village library in the few years after that.

maxnod

A trip from Derby Friargate to Skegness inthe early Sixties.

After that, Midlander Range-Rover tickets in the early Seventies

Busterfridge

My earliest memories as a kid were standing on seascale station when it was a proper station with a ticket office, waiting room with a coal fire, a station master and through trains to london !
Watching britannias, black 5's, Met-vics and claytons
When you see whats there now (a lone perspex shelter)its hard to believe that there used to be a thriving fully staffed station

Toad

Walking to Dunster Station on the WSR from our holiday chalet on Dunster Beach, becoming a volunteer on the WSR from that moment on....

On the Saturday a older crank (I was eleven at the time, 1980) asked if I would like to go 'trainspotting' on Saturday.
Excepted, took the Park Royal DMU to Bishops Lydeard, walked the line to Norton Fitzwarren and spent the day spotting......

then it happened, that moment I was hooked to this day......

50009, approx 11 mk 1's, going past about 60mph, never looked back since

Thanks John G, if I never went that Saturday ??????

EE1001

I lived in Eridge as a boy, next to the station. I remember the steam trains there and also the the rare occasions when 4LAV units headed by JA and JB (Class 72/73) locos used to come through from / to Lewes.

The big event of the day was always seeing the Class 33 drawn service from London to Uckfield.

And then there were the old gas lamps - with the "singing" mantles. The station used to be kept so clean and tidy with plants adorning the access lane to the station.

Those were the days... :D

Last edited:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Another memory is standing at Stratford and seeing a Cl312 in Firsy Great Eastern livery, and than I remeber seeing a steel train passing through I can remeber the wagons very good, I just can't remeber what was hauling it.

Johnnie2Sheds

White ghostly 9Fs thrashing up the grade through Barrow On Soar(Leics) with 90+ loaded Stewart & Lloyds wagons heading for Corby......Jinty tanks shunting at the yard there on pick up goods. Green Peaks with Maroon coaches.....The station at Barrow with its signalbox. A brand new class 25 breaking down outside the box and being rescued by a 2-6-4t.... bout 1963

RPM

Established Member
My earliest memory is of my first train trip on a hot day in the summer of 1975. My Dad took me from Gloucester to the railway museum at Swindon. I can remember walking into Gloucester Eastgate station and going over Barton Street crossing in a DMU. I remember being impressed with the delightful old station at Stonehouse. On the way back we were delayed for ages at Standish Junction because the points had got too hot. I can't remember a thing about the museum!

william

Established Member
My earliest memories include sitting behind the platform at Durham watching HST and 47's on KX and XC services, remember the posts were up for electrification but not yet completed. Also remember alot of coal hoppers, blue diesels on the liverpool train, though 158's were slowly being introduced. Also fond memories of loads coal trains on the East Durham line and Tanfield Railway near Stanley.

Back then Darlington was a far away mecca, due to its regular appearance in my small hardback book collection, which included The Deltic Years, which got me really exited about taking the train there. I never got to see a Deltic on the mainline until the late nineties. Their sound was not what i was expecting!

ACE1888

walking down the old staircase at Penzance (when the booking office was at street level) and seeing a class 25 'on the blocks', around 1978/9???

Status
Not open for further replies.