• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Early retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies in advance if this thread sounds a bit insensitive.
I'm just trying to find out the truth regarding this myth.
Is it true that if 3 fatal jumpers, go before your train they medically retire you with a full pension?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_and_Out#Plot

Before taking time off for the second accident his colleagues tell him about a little-known 'rule' at London Underground that no-one talks about: three 'under' within a month, and you lose your job - earning yourself ten years' salary in one lump sum. But being off for the next week means that Paul needs to find someone willing to kill themselves by the following Monday.

Sounds like a plot from a movie .....

bionic

I heard that if you hit three pigeons in the same trip you get an extra four days annual leave and a lifetime ban from the RSPB.

sw1ller

Established Member
I heard that if you hit three pigeons in the same trip you get an extra four days annual leave and a lifetime ban from the RSPB.

I don’t think I’d ever get back to work after that last trip between Gobowen and Shrewsbury then! My windscreen was like something out of Carrie

mresh91

We do love the number three on the railway! There's another myth that you can retaliate against someone if they assault you three (THREE!) times first.

Louby

Is it true that if 3 fatal jumpers, go before your train they medically retire you with a full pension?
this is going around , btp actually quoted this to me!, uttter bull

crebbs1

Just out of interest from any of you very experienced drivers.
How many times in your career have you experienced this situation?

Louby

you can go 30 yrs , i had mine in first 6 months, don't think there is an answer for that question

bionic

Perhaps the most insensitive, and indeed shocking, thing about that 3 And Out "comedy" is the fact that London Underground actually assisted in the making of it. They provided a train and showed McKenzie Crook how to shunt it around. It shows how seriously they take the subject, as well as complete and utter contempt for their drivers who have experienced it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...m-that-trivialises-railway-deaths-813327.html

Edited to include link.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member

Once and once is enough.

The "3 and retire" thing is nothing but a myth perpetuated by that god awful film a few years ago.

whoosh

Established Member
The truth is.... it's a myth.

I've known a few drivers who've had 3 fatalities (one of whom was only a couple of years off retirement at his last one). I've known a couple of drivers who've had 4 fatalities, and one who'd had 5.
All of them came back to work after varying amounts of time off.

There used to be a Criminal Compensation payment (usually amounting to about £1000) that was sometimes paid. This barely compensated for lost overtime, nevermind the stress and upset caused to the Driver and their family - who'd had to put up with their loved one waking up with nightmares, and being moody or short tempered - then to go through it all again when the Coroner's Court got in touch.
The payment was stopped a few years ago by the government, who said that suicide wasn't a crime so the payments should stop. This is despite trespass on the railway being a crime, so a crime has to take place for someone to be in a position to commit suicide on the railway?!!

The myth stems from the film "3 and out" mentioned above, where a tube driver has had two and his mates say to him "you just need another one and then you'll be set for life" and that there was a little-known rule about getting either retirement money or so many years pay - a big pay out, after a third fatality.
The comedy is that he befriends a suicidal man and they make a pact to help each other out.
Only the myth gets found out to be a myth, and that the tube driver's mates were having him on.

There has always been black comedy, which is fair enough, but the worst thing about it was the placement of adverts for the film on station platforms, including near where the driver's cabs stopped. Most insensitive.

OneLowban

The payment has been stopped? I’m sure I’ve heard recently at depot that it’s still paid, hmm.

Louby

I've known a few drivers who've had 3 fatalities (one of whom was only a couple of years off retirement at his last one). I've known a couple of drivers who've had 4 fatalities, and one who'd had 5.

There used to be a Criminal Compensation payment (usually amounting to about £1000) that was sometimes paid. This barely compensated for lost overtime, nevermind the stress and upset caused to the Driver and their family - who'd had to put up with their loved one waking up with nightmares, and being moody or short tempered - then to go through it all again when the Coroner's Court got in touch.
The payment was stopped a few years ago by the government, who said that suicide wasn't a crime so the payments should stop. This is despite trespass on the railway being a crime, so a crime has to take place for someone to be in a position to commit suicide on the railway?!!

The myth stems from the film "3 and out" mentioned above, where a tube driver has had two and his mates say to him "you just need another one and then you'll be set for life" and that there was a little-known rule about getting either retirement money or so many years pay - a big pay out, after a third fatality.
The comedy is that he befriends a suicidal man and they make a pact to help each other out.
Only the myth gets found out to be a myth, and that the tube driver's mates were having him on.

There has always been black comedy, which is fair enough, but the worst thing about it was the placement of adverts for the film on station platforms, including near where the driver's cabs stopped. Most insensitive.
the payment has not been stopped, and you don't always have to attend the coroner, i received and never went

Saj8

The payment used to be made by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. And, as stated above it was stopped a few years ago. The payment is now made by the TOC instead.

Stigy

Established Member

Isn’t suicide a crime still? Seems bizarre I know, but it used to be at least.

whoosh

Established Member
The CICA payment was stopped:
https://www.aslef.org.uk/article.php?group_id=1419

Some TOCs have introduced a replacement scheme, such as Chiltern: https://www.aslef.org.uk/article.php?group_id=3317 Have a look near the top 'Additional Comments'.

According to Wikipedia (so might not be completely right!) the Suicide act of 1961 (quite some time ago!) decriminalised suicide in England and Wales, and a similar act became law in Northern Ireland in 1966. Suicide was never illegal in Scotland.

It depends on the Coroner whether you are called to attend. Increasingly, they are adopting the idea that it isn't necessary, which is of comfort to drivers involved. Forward facing cameras have helped in this regard.

train_lover

It's a myth

Status
Not open for further replies.