• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Earth Moving Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

manhoot

Powerday Plc Waste & Recycling Centre (Old Oak Sidings, off Scrubs Lane, London NW10) fill gravel trains with earth for landfill. Does any one know where they go to be unloaded?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
From the title I thought this was the railway equivelent to the mile high club.:oops:

Death

Established Member
From the title I thought this was the railway equivelent to the mile high club. :oops:
I always thought that would be called The Metre High Club, myself...Or at least that's what I call it! :lol:

I havn't joined the Club myself yet I must admit, although some of my friends have said that they joined it back when the 411's were still on the southern region. However, there are two berths to a cabin on the Caledonian Sleeper, and both myself and my other half are considering booking ourselves on a short break to Inverness at some point this Winter... ;)
Just to double-check; They wouldn't have any rules in place concerning what happens between partners in a cabin on sleeper services, would they? :?:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Pretty sure there's no rules, but the bunks are pretty narrow. Don't think the cabin's are particularly soundproof either! They're all in pairs with a connecting door (locked*) between them. Maybe try and request a cabin at the end of a carriage to minimise disturbance? The beds are on the opposite side to the internal door.

*Locked, unless two cabins are booked by a family, when the door can be unlocked on request. I can remember we used this when I was a nipper living in Inverness heading down to my dad's folks in London.

General Zod

There is a daily spoil train which goes to the landfill at Calvert via the Chiltern Line. I think it carries a lot of the "cleaned soil" from Powerday which originates from the Olympic works around Hackney and Stratford. The train is usually headed by an EWS class 60 / 59.

Route :
Stratford via North London Line Powerday @ Willesden, Willeseden to Acton Wells,
then Acton Yard, West Ealing, Greenford Loop, Northolt Junction, High
Wycombe, Princes Risborough, Aylesbury , Calvert.

If you go to this excellent photo page,

http://geoff-plumb.fotopic.net

scroll down and then do a "search" for "powerday" you will find some photos of the said train.

Last edited:

Death

Established Member
Pretty sure there's no rules, but the bunks are pretty narrow.
I had a quick peek at the berths when I was doing my ALR, and I agree...They are a bit on the narrow side. Myself and my other half are both quite thin though, so we should just about be able to fit on the lower one nonetheless. :shock::D

Do those bunks have a restrictive weight limit though? Both of us together would be about 115-130Kg total, I'm guessing... :?:

Don't think the cabin's are particularly soundproof either! They're all in pairs with a connecting door between them. Maybe try and request a cabin at the end of a carriage to minimise disturbance? The beds are on the opposite side to the internal door.
Didn't notice the interconnecting doors, I have to admit - Cheers for filling me in! End of the carriage sounds like an excellent idea to me! 8)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Do those bunks have a restrictive weight limit though? Both of us together would be about 115-130Kg total, I'm guessing... :?:

Lower bunk is pretty solid isn't it? Anyway, I'm sure they can take that weight and more; larger passengers would easily top that on their own!

O L Leigh

Established Member
There is a daily spoil train which goes to the landfill at Calvert via the Chiltern Line. I think it carries a lot of the "cleaned soil" from Powerday which originates from the Olympic works around Hackney and Stratford. The train is usually headed by an EWS class 60 / 59.

Wow, that surprises me. From my observations of the construction going on down there I would have said that the Olympic Park is a net user of spoil rather than a producer of surplus.

The ground level across the entire site covering both the former Stratford Diesel depot, Freightliner yard, parts of Leyton between the old "Railway Lands" and the A12, and now the site of the Thornton Fields carriage sidings has been raised massively to the extent that all the railway lines that still run across the site are now run in tunnels. To achieve this has required massive amounts of soil being brought into the site, heaped up and compacted.

I was shocked to see an old shot of the High Meads loop showing the line running on the flat down the side of the Freightliner yard. When I learned it the loop had become a steep-sided cutting. Now it's been roofed over and become a tunnel just like all the other lines crossing the site. As another example, this view of the of the approaches to the former Stratford Low Level platforms from the top of the subway onto P12 is no longer possible. I'll try and get a shot of the current view from the same spot and angle if possible when I'm there again later today, but I can tell you now that it will probably just show the underframe equipment of a Cl313 or Cl378, the platform and the massive Westfield shopping complex being built on top.

O L Leigh

General Zod

A lot of the soil on the Olympic site was reported to have been contaminated and contained high levels of radioactivity.

http://www.gamesmonitor.org.uk/node/845

I am not sure if the cleaning actually takes place at Powerday as well as at the site or if the soil laden trucks are stabled at Willesden overnight. Perhaps someone could enlighten us.

Status
Not open for further replies.