• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Earthquake Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Hale

Hi all, erm, Im not too sure what exactly has gone on, but 10 minutes ago there was a light earthquake which has hit my city. We are yet to find out the magnitude, it wasnt a powerful killer or powerful one. I was getting ready for bed and there was a sound like a freight train and then the ground shook, not a lot, but enough to make the pictures rattle. I tell you, ive never been so scared in my whole entire life, I seriously am very very scared. Ill post info upon the size of the quake when it is recived.

I just hope this is not building upto a bigger one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

You generally get one big one, then larger aftershocks sometimes.

Tom B

Established Member
Scary, it makes the hairs on your hand shiver!

Craig

Established Member
There's just been a mini earthquake in Newcastle too!! Either that or was a 60 going past with some loaded oil tanks... :shock: :lol:

Gareth Hale

Hi all, ive found out from the TV, it was nothing to powerful, it was a 3.1 on the scale. I can tell you, when I heard that noise, and felt the floor move a bit, I was scared, im actually suprised I kept consious-ness (because I was so scared)

T

Tom

Earthquakes are not rare. FACT.
Britain gets around 80 earthquakes a year. FACT.
Aftershocks kill more than earthquakes normally. FACT.
Earthquakes are scary even if 1 on the richter scale. GH FACT.

Gareth Hale

That is very true. People think I might have been acting like a baby with a 3.1 earthquake, but how would you feel if you suddenly heard a rumble so loud and then the house shook? Believe me, at 20 past 12 in the morning.... Its scary.

Tom B

Established Member
Remember too that the Richter scale is logarithmic...

Gareth Hale

Ive been in a powerful one in a simulator also, those are fun because you can stop it if you get to scared. But been in it, in your own home is extreamly scary.

Tom B

Established Member
There are earthquakes every day... and who would be scared by a piece of metal being moved by a hydraulic ram?

Lesjordans

Gareth Hale said:
Ive been in a powerful one in a simulator also, those are fun because you can stop it if you get to scared. But been in it, in your own home is extreamly scary.

goodness sake it isnt gonna bite you. it was 3.1, not 30.1

nutter

Victoria-Louise said:
OK... right how many of youy have ACCTUALLY been oin a real earth quake??????

Not many I suspect. I was awake when the Dudley one struck a few years back, it reached 4.2 on the richter scale (IIRC) and I was terrified.

One thing which got me though was how calm I was during the initial earthquake, it was the fear of aftershocks which got me necause I know thats when deaths occour (main earthquake weakens the structure and the aftershocks give the buildings the 'final' nudge). Luckily for me th max the after shocks reached was 2.6 on the richter scale.

nutter said:
Not many I suspect. I was awake when the Dudley one struck a few years back, it reached 4.2 on the richter scale (IIRC) and I was terrified.

One thing which got me though was how calm I was during the initial earthquake, it was the fear of aftershocks which got me necause I know thats when deaths occour (main earthquake weakens the structure and the aftershocks give the buildings the 'final' nudge). Luckily for me th max the after shocks reached was 2.6 on the richter scale.

EXACTLY!!!! most of you in Gareth's possition would have sh*t yourselfs and gone running for your mummy!

SO STOP TAKING THE PI*S OUT OF HIM! :mumum: you lot are starting to sound like bully's and its pathetic....

Gareth Hale

Victoria-Louise said:
EXACTLY!!!! most of you in Gareth's possition would have sh*t yourselfs and gone running for your mummy!

SO STOP TAKING THE PI*S OUT OF HIM! :mumum: you lot are starting to sound like bully's and its pathetic....

Thanks Victoria :) You have made my day :hello1::hello1::hello1:

David

Established Member
You forgot to put something in your post Victoria....:angel5:

As for being in an earthquake, I possibly would of been afraid as well.

Harry Potter said:
You forgot to put something in your post Victoria....

As for being in an earthquake, I possibly would of been afraid as well.

umm... no.... i juat hate people being singled out.

im no :angel5: and i hope one day u find out :angel5:

Daniel

Established Member
Hey, if you've just been in an earthquake, even though minor but enough to make the ground shake, would you prefer to sit around in the middle of the night thinking...

Oh no, was that another one?

I wonder if anyone got hurt...

Is there going to be another one?

Or would you rather talk to someone about it. Point taken, you cannot 'talk to someone' on a forum, but its good to get things off your chest.

Two posters in this thread have no sympathy....

Earthquakes do happen all the time, but they are generally always under .5 on the richter scale.

May I point out, Lesjordans, that an earthquake of 3.1 on the richter scale is enough to visibley make the ground shake, and im sure would scare the pants off over 9 out of 10 people on this forum, so wise up mate, think before you type, think about other peoples feelings aswell.

Gareth Hale

memorex said:
Hey, if you've just been in an earthquake, even though minor but enough to make the ground shake, would you prefer to sit around in the middle of the night thinking...

Oh no, was that another one?

I wonder if anyone got hurt...

Is there going to be another one?

Or would you rather talk to someone about it. Point taken, you cannot 'talk to someone' on a forum, but its good to get things off your chest.

Two posters in this thread have no sympathy....

Earthquakes do happen all the time, but they are generally always under .5 on the richter scale.

May I point out, Lesjordans, that an earthquake of 3.1 on the richter scale is enough to visibley make the ground shake, and im sure would scare the pants off over 9 out of 10 people on this forum, so wise up mate, think before you type, think about other peoples feelings aswell.

Thank you :), Some of those thoughts kept me waking up, as I had no idea what was going to happen in the next second. Nothing else was lucky felt that night, it was a close one, I thought it was leading upto something big.

Coxster

Established Member
Do you have Earthquake sirens? I know you have those hurricane ones as you send me a sound clip once.

Gareth Hale

No we don't, We have Tornado Sirens. I think they may be fitting them soon as I saw it on the local news a few weeks ago, although it doesnt happen often, only about 3 are noticable in two years.

Sprog

Established Member
F*uck Earthquakes......!

Twisters, now they are a threat!

Whats it like over there for Tornados?........

TBH, they are one of the main powers of 'mother nature' i personally fear. They are beautiful, yet shrowded in mystery. And i can only imagine the fear when youve got one near by and you have no idea if its gonna come your way. Especially if it stops moving, as that means its comming right for you.............. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.