• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easement preventing use of a Permitted Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Actually, no, and this makes perfect sense. This is what I assumed. The one thing I'm concerned with is that I have a Gravesend ticket. I understand I can use all three routes, but taking a journey such as London to Slade Green via Barnehurst (or Crayford) takes me onto track that I would never touch with London to Gravesend routes...

A season ticket is valid for all intermediate journeys between stations at which it is valid. Even eccentric ones. The validity on a Tulse Hill to London Terminals season is pretty astounding!

Put another way, no SET RPI is going to bat an eyelid!

For clarity, only journeys on Permitted Routes between the stations on the ticket, not between the intermediate stations (sorry if I'm adding to the confusion, only sometimes there is a difference!).

I agree with lexy rather than island here. Too late at night to find an example, but the sort of thing might be a direct train, with a break point that is only valid because a direct train happens to call there.

Whilst there might be cases where island is mistaken, in respect of the original question he is undoubtably right. We are talking about a couple of spurs which are no longer than 20 carriages in length. Even if you did encounter an RPI whilst on either of those spurs, they are really not going to object. In fact travel via two of the end stations on those lines is probably ok under the shortest route plus 3 miles rule in one direction or another.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Whilst there might be cases where island is mistaken, in respect of the original question he is undoubtably right. We are talking about a couple of spurs which are no longer than 20 carriages in length. Even if you did encounter an RPI whilst on either of those spurs, they are really not going to object. In fact travel via two of the end stations on those lines is probably ok under the shortest route plus 3 miles rule in one direction or another.

Hmmm. I bought a Clapham Junction to Lewisham ticket the other day, seems like they've already taken care of the routes permitted by map NK. Might've been a bit difficult if I actually used it as intended around those lines and been done by some RPI who has no idea the NRG esists!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As I said, I understand the wanting to keep it quiet if you have worked it out, but there are nicer ways to inform people that "shouting it from the rooftops" is not appreciated. It is rather amusing that by quoting it you have left it there for all to see. :lol:

Very amusing indeed :idea:

It's probably my fault to be honest - I made one comment with regards to the Sutton Loop a day or two ago which I removed after a few minutes and coincidentally, a few hours later, someone decided to show off their findings in a completely unrelated thread which made no allusion to that at all.

bnm said:
Aww, diddums. Nothing I like less than folk being able to save money by dint of some secret knowledge they have. It sticks in my craw that I too sometimes think twice about sharing fares loopholes. Why? Not because I worry about the loophole being closed, but because of responses like the one above.

Can't have the masses making savings can we? That would be unfair on the little club of people passing round the gen privately. I really do hate the, "I know something you don't", attitude.

This "if I can't save, nobody can" attidude is worse IMO. At least I make savings without the malicious intention of damaging other people's abilities to. You should ask yourself why people voluntarily post details of loopholes for no apparent reason. If it was in a thread where someone was actually after that information then it would be because they want to help them save money. Otherwise, why else would someone do that?

Oh and BTW I don't belong to any private club who discusses loopholes - although fair enough if you have a problem with people that do. I do it all by myself, initially for journeys which I had a requirement to make but the scope has been expanded. There's also money to be made from this knowledge so I'm glad that I cannot be accused of stealing anyone else's ideas either :). I'm happy enough to help people, just not those who are selfish or have an inability to keep things quiet :p

Seeing as you say you have loopholes to share then share them out by all means :p. Why should you be concerned about what a someone might think if you just want to help others?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.