• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easements for step free stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Are there easments allowing disabled people to travel beyond the destination of their ticket to reach the nearest step free station? Or to double back if only one platform is step free?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Are there easments allowing disabled people to travel beyond the destination of their ticket to reach the nearest step free station?

Not a ticket easement as such, but yes, when booking assistance, generally the passenger will go to the nearest accessible station and be provided road transport back to the “desired” station.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Not a ticket easement as such, but yes, when booking assistance, generally the passenger will go to the nearest accessible station and be provided road transport back to the “desired” station.

What about a situation where some of the station is accessible, such as when the up platform can be exited step-free, but the down platform requires use of a footbridge? I've a vague memory of seeing advice to overtravel and double back sometimes.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Before the lifts were put in at Hatfield, passengers going north could go via Potters Bar and double back.

Now, passengers for London at Hadley Wood are allowed to travel to Potters Bar to get a London bound train since a ramp was installed on platform 4 (down slow).

In both cases, you are not able to leave the station at Potters Bar, although I'm sure there's an element of discretion shown on a case by case basis.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What about a situation where some of the station is accessible, such as when the up platform can be exited step-free, but the down platform requires use of a footbridge? I've a vague memory of seeing advice to overtravel and double back sometimes.

This is also okay, for obvious reasons.

[.n]

One of my local stations is "step free" from both platforms - however not to cross from one to the other without a 15 minute walk. In fact its quicker to walk to the other station in the group than change platforms!

If the guards can't (via the driver) get the platform changed for passengers to disembark then I've often see the option being given of travelling down to the terminus and back up on the next train (which to be fair is probably quicker than road transport).

Not sure if its actually true, but I believe that the Royal train had to do this (go down and back up) to allow Her Majesty to disembark on the correct side on a recent visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.