• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easiest walk from New Street: Snow Hill or Moor Street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tivoli

Planning to arrive at Birmingham New St then via LM to Stratford upon Avon. With all the work going on at New St, when walking, is either Snow Hill or Moor St a better connection?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Moor Street is better.
  1. Moor St is closer
  2. The walk is well signposted from new street to Moor Street and the new path installed will take you directly there
  3. It's largely on level terrain - going to Snow Hill is uphill
  4. Snow Hill is nowhere near as attractive as Moor St

Only real advantage I can see with going to Snow Hill is that you stand a better chance of getting a seat. I suppose there are better opportunities to get some food en route too

Depending on where you're coming from is it practical to change at Smethwick Galton Bridge?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Definitely Moor Street if traveling to Stratford. The train shouldn't be too busy either.

I know it is a bit off topic but if possible try and get the Stratford via Dorridge. It saves at least 10 minutes and has much fewer stations (7 compared to 15).

wellwhatitis

If you have a ticket or intend to purchase one, go to Moor Street. If you are a fare dodger, Snow Hill is your best bet :)

tivoli

Definitely Moor Street if traveling to Stratford. The train shouldn't be too busy either.

I know it is a bit off topic but if possible try and get the Stratford via Dorridge. It saves at least 10 minutes and has much fewer stations (7 compared to 15).

Thanks for the Dorridge advice, I can see the advantage.

deltic

Established Member
Moor Street is better.
  1. Moor St is closer
  2. The walk is well signposted from new street to Moor Street and the new path installed will take you directly there
  3. It's largely on level terrain - going to Snow Hill is uphill
  4. Snow Hill is nowhere near as attractive as Moor St

Only real advantage I can see with going to Snow Hill is that you stand a better chance of getting a seat. I suppose there are better opportunities to get some food en route too

Depending on where you're coming from is it practical to change at Smethwick Galton Bridge?

I dont agree that the route is well sign posted - well sign posted to start with at New Street but then the following signs are either missing or not easy to see - took a few times of doing the route before I was confident I was going the quickest way.

tivoli

I dont agree that the route is well sign posted - well sign posted to start with at New Street but then the following signs are either missing or not easy to see - took a few times of doing the route before I was confident I was going the quickest way.

I suppose with the reconstruction, this is what was concerning me, although any signpost problems could affect either station. Haven't been to Birmingham that often but have always managed to get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.