• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easiest way to add an LNER seat reservation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ediswan

Established Member
A weekday return from Stevenage to Wakefield. I can commit to the 06:55 outward, but not completely certain about the return, so an off-peak return works. The LNER website offered a reservation outbound, but not for the return. What is the easiest way to get a reservation on the most likely return service (16:28 from memory). I would prefer something printed just in case of a dispute. I can easily get to Stevenage station during ticket office hours, but not the travel centre.

For next time, would picking a specfic return journey and then selecting an off-peak return persuade the website to offer reservations both ways?

Good point to LNER - they offered PlusBus. Good point to Wakefield, the city centre bus is free!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A weekday return from Stevenage to Wakefield. I can commit to the 06:55 outward, but not completely certain about the return, so an off-peak return works. The LNER website offered a reservation outbound, but not for the return. What is the easiest way to get a reservation on the most likely return service (16:28 from memory). I would prefer something printed just in case of a dispute. I can easily get to Stevenage station during ticket office hours, but not the travel centre.

The GTR ticket office at Stevenage should be able to sort it out for you, although as with anything GTR do be prepared for disappointment.

or next time, would picking a specfic return journey and then selecting an off-peak return persuade the website to offer reservations both ways?

That will work. Remember that you will only have a seat reservation on your selected train but you can travel on any Off Peak train (allowed by the time restrictions applicable to the ticket).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A weekday return from Stevenage to Wakefield. I can commit to the 06:55 outward, but not completely certain about the return, so an off-peak return works. The LNER website offered a reservation outbound, but not for the return. What is the easiest way to get a reservation on the most likely return service (16:28 from memory). I would prefer something printed just in case of a dispute.
If the LNER website was unable to reserve a seat, then the train might not have any reservations available.

Note also that there have been reports that LNER hold back some seats for Advance ticket holders only.

If seats are available, then any ticket office should be able to do it, or it may be worth tweeting LNER.

There won't be a dispute regarding the validity of the return portion!
For next time, would picking a specfic return journey and then selecting an off-peak return persuade the website to offer reservations both ways?
Yes this should work, if seats are available.

Note for future reference that a saving of just under £30 can be made by booking this journey on an accreddited ticket splitting website, providing you call at Grantham (both these trains do, as do many others). That is because longer distance journeys are often charged at a premium when compared to the sum of the component parts, due to market based pricing.

Ediswan

Established Member
Thanks for the tips. GTR did try, but were unable to oblige, no reservations available on the 16:28. They were available for later trains, but that does not suit me. I can stand for 90 minutes if needed. The web site did not let me try to reserve on any return train.

I was not concerned about LNER disputing the validity of the return portion of the ticket. I was seeking printed evidence of a reservation, in case I found somebody else had already taken the seat.

Potential split at Grantham duly noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.