• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easiest way to get from Karlshrue (DB) to Luxemburg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_Rail

Just wondering, trying to figure all the online stuff out. For those that might have even done the trip, what is the easiest and most cost effective way to get from Karlshrue in Germany to Luxemburg?

Thanks! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Try www.Bahn.com.

DB operate an express bus Saarbrücken-Luxembourg, and there's a variety of rail routes across the hills of the Southern Pfalz to connect.
Alternatively, Karlsruhe-Strasbourg-Metz-Lux. by TGV but limited services.
Or an all-rail route Karlsruhe-Saarbrücken-Trier-Lux.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think times via Strasbourg change soon (July?) with the extension of LGV Est.
There are certainly new Luxembourg-Metz-Strasbourg TGVs (to Lyon and beyond).
Alternatively, you can travel by DB trains via Koblenz and the Moselle valley via Trier.

Groningen

Established Member
That bus from Saarbruecken to Luxemburg and v.v. needs to be reserved.

Veteran Member
The all-rail route via Trier can be used with a Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket "+Luxembourg "(new to me!) @ €30 for one, 35 for two...50 for 5.

Valid on all regional trains from 0900 and at weekends over a vast area, book on the day, go when you want. As there are hardly any IC type services on the route, you're not missing out on a quicker journey (though it would be a bit slow going round via the Rhine Valley).

The rail and bus route starts at €29 per person, booked in advance for a specific service, so I can't see any advantage in using it.

Gordon

There are reasonable connecting local services Karlsruhe - Landau - Pirmasens - Saarbrucken through pleasant undulating country. Then you need to do a dog leg Saarbrucken - Trier - Luxembourg

Veteran Member
I'd second the route via Landau-Pirmasens ( with its seasonal offshoot to Dahn and Bundenthal), a bit more than undulating in places. And Saarbrücken-Trier is along the Saar river.

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
And Saarbrücken-Trier is along the Saarbrücken-Luxembourg river.

Wrong! saarbruecken - Trier has the river Saar! To Perl and Wasserbillig it is the Mosel! Look at the town of Konz, Germany. There the Saar enters the Mosel.

Veteran Member
Wrong! saarbruecken - Trier has the river Saar! To Perl and Wasserbillig it is the Mosel! Look at the town of Konz, Germany. There the Saar enters the Mosel.

Sorry, I know but didn't spot the autocomplete messing things up..

Last edited:

dutchflyer

Established Member
If you do not mind buses and do it only one way-then there are various LUX buses from some stations along the Trier-Moselbahn-toward Apach into LUX-just pay driver 2 eur for the 2 hr single-connect anywhere into LUX.
Last year in the local summer school Hols the RhPf ticket was valid any day alltime-thus mo/fr also before 9.00.
For a while DB also offered what was in fact the LUX Airportbus from FRA-via HAHN (Ryan)airport run as flibco as a DB-IC-route, I do not know if that is still so-this may be at appropriate times be the fastest connection-just 1 change at FRA HBF.

Status
Not open for further replies.