• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easing of COVID measures in Europe outside the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
Switzerland are also thinking of dropping most of their rules in the next couple of weeks in a "turbo" de-restriction process.

When are the core EU countries going to get the hint? (Especially when you consider that the non EU ones of us, Switzerland and Norway could be some of the most free on the continent).

To be Norwegian right now. You have little or nothing in the way of restrictions, and you have freedom of movement to and from the EU.

I think that, contentiously, it is time for the UK to follow Sweden's example (and Ireland's, by the sounds of it) in dropping the self-isolation requirement and replacing it with general "avoid going into work, and visiting non-essential venues [pubs etc] if you feel ill and/or have a positive test" advice.

On balance, I believe this is now doing more harm than good to society due to essential public services not being provided fully due to enforced absenteeism.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Ireland's NPHET (functional equivalent of SAGE) has recommended the immediate removal of mask requirements across the country. The Cabinet is expected to rubber-stamp this tomorrow.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's good (if surprising) to see more and more European countries removing restrictions, particularly mask mandates which didn't even go last summer in many cases.

There is an ever widening gulf between the likes of Italy, which had mandatory outdoor masks just last week, and the Scandinavian countries, Ireland, Switzerland etc. which are moving fast on removing restrictions.

Cdd89

Established Member
Because such countries have not had the same politicisation over covid measures, I expect they may rapidly be better than the U.K. in terms of things like mask wearing.

Certainly in the Netherlands, companies weren’t telling you to “be respectful” and wear a face covering; and usage (where not mandatory) was about 0%.

danm14

Because such countries have not had the same politicisation over covid measures, I expect they may rapidly be better than the U.K. in terms of things like mask wearing
I would be massively surprised - delighted, but surprised - if mask wearing in Ireland drops below UK (well, England/NI) levels any time soon.

They have been massively politicised, albeit in a different way - you are seen as a "covidiot granny-killing anti-vaxxer selfish *******" or similar by at least 95% of the population if you so much as question the necessity of wearing them in any situation whatsoever. Oh, and if your disability prevents you from wearing one, you should just stay at home forever for the greater good.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ireland's NPHET (functional equivalent of SAGE) has recommended the immediate removal of mask requirements across the country. The Cabinet is expected to rubber-stamp this tomorrow.
Great news! I am visiting Ireland next month; I had heard it was due to be scrapped before then (otherwise I'd not have booked) but it's great to hear it's been brought forward.

berneyarms

Established Member
Cabinet meeting is next Tuesday.

island

Veteran Member
NPHET has also voted to disband itself. Media leaks suggest the mask mandate will go on the 28th.

Fragezeichnen

Certainly in the Netherlands, companies weren’t telling you to “be respectful” and wear a face covering; and usage (where not mandatory) was about 0%.
Many on this forum call for decisions about public health to be left to individuals and not imposed from above, and to a certain extent that is what happenned in the UK. Compared to other countries in a similar situation, the UK locked down later and came out earlier. As I heard Jacob Rees-Mogg in an interview last week claim, they brought in lockdowns so late that by the time it came in people and organisations were already imposing lockdowns on themselves and their stakeholders.
So it's only logical that the same happens when lifting restrictions, and that it will take longer for for society to adapt as opposed to other countries where they just accept what the government tells them to do - I don't think you can have it both ways.

Yew

Established Member
Many on this forum call for decisions about public health to be left to individuals and not imposed from above, and to a certain extent that is what happenned in the UK. Compared to other countries in a similar situation, the UK locked down later and came out earlier. As I heard Jacob Rees-Mogg in an interview last week claim, they brought in lockdowns so late that by the time it came in people and organisations were already imposing lockdowns on themselves and their stakeholders.
So it's only logical that the same happens when lifting restrictions, and that it will take longer for for society to adapt as opposed to other countries where they just accept what the government tells them to do - I don't think you can have it both ways.
I don’t understand how you can describe mandatory lockdowns as things being “left to individuals”…

Fragezeichnen

As I said, only to certain extent was the behaviour driven by individuals and organisations and not by government mandates. But still, a greater extent than most other european countries.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Appears Romania dropping restrictions too including masks, if I've read it correctly.

Yew

Established Member
Do we have any idea what the situation is in Poland?

takno

Established Member
Do we have any idea what the situation is in Poland?
From talking to my Polish team, most restrictions are still in place. Quarantine is being largely observed but less obsessively enforced. Facemasks use is starting to slip again, but they are required pretty much everywhere indoors, with a certificate required for exemption, so it's best to keep doing it unless you fancy having an argument with an authority figure in Polish.

102 fan

From talking to my Polish team, most restrictions are still in place. Quarantine is being largely observed but less obsessively enforced. Facemasks use is starting to slip again, but they are required pretty much everywhere indoors, with a certificate required for exemption, so it's best to keep doing it unless you fancy having an argument with an authority figure in Polish.

Do the 1.7 million Ukrainian refugees have to abide by these rules?

takno

Established Member
Do the 1.7 million Ukrainian refugees have to abide by these rules?
They have legal force, so yes, but presumably even the most jobsworth policeman would hesitate before issuing a ticket for a minor infraction to somebody who is literally fleeing a war

102 fan

They have legal force, so yes, but presumably even the most jobsworth policeman would hesitate before issuing a ticket for a minor infraction to somebody who is literally fleeing a war

So surely it's time to drop them completely then?

route101

Established Member
Heading to France next weekend? Anyone been recently, whats the mask situation?

Citybreak1

Austria has brought masks back 2 weeks after ditching them. That’s the problem these rules can come back anytime.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Austria has brought masks back 2 weeks after ditching them. That’s the problem these rules can come back anytime.
Very unfortunate. Seems they're still tying restrictions to case rates, which is just bonkers.

philosopher

Established Member
Very unfortunate. Seems they're still tying restrictions to case rates, which is just bonkers.
I am visiting Vienna at the start of the summer so I do really hope they have removed them by then. Austria however has consistency been one of the more restriction keen countries through this, so I am not too hopeful.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m going through Vienna at the start of next month and this is disappointing, particularly as the mandate is for FFP2 masks

route101

Established Member
Off to France this Friday by ferry, all I need is a sworn declaration and vaccine proof, is that correct. Does the declaration have to be printed or can I show it is PDF?

zero

In Croatia, vaccination certificates were scanned at passport control.

Masks are required indoors and roughly 80% of people are wearing them in shops and hotels, though 80% of this 80% don't properly cover their nose or mouth. 99% of people wear masks on public transport.

All staff at hotels/stations/supermarkets and most shops etc wear masks properly, but they don't challenge the 20% of customers who don't wear them nor do they say anything to the people who leave their nose exposed.

island

Veteran Member
Off to France this Friday by ferry, all I need is a sworn declaration and vaccine proof, is that correct. Does the declaration have to be printed or can I show it is PDF?
It is meant to be printed and signed in ink, but they are never checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.