• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Anglia to Cornwall to Hull to East Anglia

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
Hi,

After some advice for a triangular journey. I need to get to St Austell or Par for Tuesday late morning. I then need to be in Hull the following morning, so probably travelling up on Tuesday afternoon/evening.
From Hull I will return to East Anglia on Wednesday afternoon.
I can depart/return to either Attleborough or Diss.

On the first leg to Cornwall, I could set off on Monday evening and break my journey at Swindon or Pewsey (preferably) and stay with family before continuing on Tuesday morning.

What's the best way of doing this at a reasonable cost?
Open to sampling the Cornish sleeper on Tuesday night but only if it's sensible from a cost POV.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
That's some journey!
Unfortunately, you've hit the week when there's major engineering work at Taunton, which is going to lengthen two legs of your journey considerably (and potentially a bus Tiverton Parkway - Bristol Parkway.

St Austell to Hull is going to take you 9-10 hours and from London 5 hours, so I think you'd need to take the sleeper. Overnighting at Pewsey or Swindon isn't realistically possible, though Reading or Westbury might work.

Given that flexible offpeak tickets are usually return-fare-for-a-single, my starting point, givem the times you will be travelling for fares would be Offpeak return Diss-St Austell and Super Offpeak HULL TRAINS London-Hull. That's about £265 allowing for the third tube fare.

DIS-SAU only has restrictions to/from Liverpool St, and would be valid on the Sleeper (berth extra of course) or for an overnight stop West of LST.
KGX-HUL has peak restrictions, but you'll be later than that both ways.

I'm sure someone can improve on that....

trebor79

Established Member
Well that's the sleeper option off the table. Due to the works you mentioned, it's a bus from Weston Super Mare to Exeter in the middle of the night and then 2 hours from there to St Austell. No thanks!

The rest of your suggestions sound like the best option. There are some cheap advance KX to Hull early in the morning which I might take advantage of if I can get to KX in time

Roverebbw

Well that's the sleeper option off the table. Due to the works you mentioned, it's a bus from Weston Super Mare to Exeter in the middle of the night and then 2 hours from there to St Austell. No thanks!

The rest of your suggestions sound like the best option. There are some cheap advance KX to Hull early in the morning which I might take advantage of if I can get to KX in time

Yo will find that the sleeper is diverted via Honiton and arrives in par the same time as if going via Taunton

trebor79

Established Member
Yo will find that the sleeper is diverted via Honiton and arrives in par the same time as if going via Taunton
Hmm, so it is. When I tried to book a through ticket from East Anglia it only showed me the "sleeper" option involving a non sleeper to Weston and dead of night bus journey.
Paddington to St Austell showed the through sleeper. Issues with the GWR website, but I've now booked that bit of the oddessy. Opted to not pay extra for a single berth as I figured it's likely to be quiet this time of year anyway.

Thanks for correcting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.