• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
There's some new drivers appearing on the 88 route. I don't know if they are just drivers new to the route - or possibly the ones being recruited to work at Wincham when they open a facility there? One new driver on the 88 yesterday didn't seem used to the brakes on the Solo SRs.

I saw a bus this morning (with a driver who I hadn't seen before) missing out the Manor Park North and Thorneyholme Drive section in Knutsford. The bus was running a bit late so I don't know if he did that purposely to recover time or if he doesn't know the route that well.

pemma

Veteran Member
The Arriva North West Day Ticket is to be withdrawn this weekend. The North West & North Wales Day Ticket (which costs 20p more) will be sold instead.

pemma

Veteran Member
I believe the only other Stagecoach service in Cheshire East is the 360 Stockport to Hayfield. But that only dips into Cheshire for a couple of miles at Disley, so hopefully it will not suffer the same fate.

I've just realised it's not been mentioned that when GHA Coaches went in to administration Cheshire East awarded the 130 SuBH emergency (3 month) contract to Stagecoach Manchester. However, when the contracts went out to tender properly there was only one bidder for the 130 SuBH contract - Arriva.

I don't know if Cheshire East had to twist Stagecoach's arm to run the emergency contract or whether they were interested in it and offered to do it for less than Arriva but then after running it for a few weeks lost interest? With Arriva also taking on a few other emergency contracts it might have been they didn't have a sufficient number of drivers employed to start running the 130 SuBH contract so soon after GHA collapsed?

ag51ruk

The Arriva North West Day Ticket is to be withdrawn this weekend. The North West & North Wales Day Ticket (which costs 20p more) will be sold instead.

There has been a general fare increase across Cheshire as well - there are new fare zones for Crewe and Macclesfield offering day, weekly etc tickets but no maps showing which areas they cover (even on the m-ticket app the map is missing)

pemma

Veteran Member
There has been a general fare increase across Cheshire as well - there are new fare zones for Crewe and Macclesfield offering day, weekly etc tickets but no maps showing which areas they cover (even on the m-ticket app the map is missing)

Boundary for Macclesfield ticket is Broken Cross on 130 and Penningtons Lane on 38. Boundaries for Crewe ticket are Leighton Hospital, MMU and Willaston
Stores Corner.

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/globala...r-tickets/north-west/cheshire-network-map.pdf

pemma

Veteran Member
D&G have moved SRs YJ13 HNA/B/C/D/E and the 2 x 11 reg Streetlites from Crewe to their new depot in Wincham, which now operates the 88 and 300 routes. I imagine the intention is the 5 SRs to continue to be used on the 88, one of the Streetlites on the 300 and the second acting as a back up vehicle.

YJ13 HNF is the SR without working wifi which might be why they chose to keep that one at Crewe.

mikestone1952

Although 155 is one of the Streetlites shown on the official list at Wincham it was on the 85 yesterday.

pemma

Veteran Member
Although 155 is one of the Streetlites shown on the official list at Wincham it was on the 85 yesterday.

It seems at present there's still an 88 working being done by the Crewe depot, for which they are using SR 106 so if SR 101-105 have all gone to Wincham then they have a spare bus at present without the second Streetlite. A Streetlite was on the 300 yesterday and today but I'm not sure if it's 156 or not.

pemma

Veteran Member
D&G are to run a new Mon-Fri service between Wilmslow and Handforth Dean via Lacey Green from 24th April: http://dgbus.co.uk/assets/378_2017-04-23.pdf It'll be operated from their new Wincham depot.

According to the Wilmslow Guardian, the Wilmslow extension of the 378 costed Stagecoach £150,000 a year to run and they only took £40,000 in revenue from running that extension.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
I contacted D&G to tell them how excellent it was that they were operating this new service but also to enquire as to why Stanley Road was not being served and also regarding consideration of serving Grove Lane bus interchange. They informed me that there had been complications with Greater Manchester reimbursement but that they would consider expanding the service if it was a success.

I wished them well with the new service.

pemma

Veteran Member
They informed me that there had been complications with Greater Manchester reimbursement but that they would consider expanding the service if it was a success.

I imagine being part of System One and Greater Manchester PlusBus for the 88 route would mean they'd have to accept them on any other routes they operate in Greater Manchester.

Established Member
Yes and the fact that TfGM operate a standard (low) rate of reimbursement for concessionary passes to operators

Last edited:

spargazer

I watched a 378 go in and out of Lacy Green, (I was sat in a friends house watching it as I supped coffee) at midday today, it had 10 -12 pax each way and seems to be a popular service. Stagecoach seem to have deliberately chosen to "lose this route" by using double deckers on it.

Of course I may be totally wrong and apologies if I am.

gnolife

Established Member
I watched a 378 go in and out of Lacy Green, (I was sat in a friends house watching it as I supped coffee) at midday today, it had 10 -12 pax each way and seems to be a popular service. Stagecoach seem to have deliberately chosen to "lose this route" by using double deckers on it.

Of course I may be totally wrong and apologies if I am.

It's the Davenport to Stockport section of route rather than the Wilmslow end that justifies double deckers.

pemma

Veteran Member
It's also school holidays and both buses and trains in Cheshire are much busier than usual. In school term time sometimes the 378 leaves Bank Square with just one passenger on board!

spargazer

It's also school holidays and both buses and trains in Cheshire are much busier than usual. In school term time sometimes the 378 leaves Bank Square with just one passenger on board!

there were no children on it, it was all adults

spargazer

I do notice that cars are used a lot just to travel around and within this small estate, rather like "bubbles" in a bottle, that parking made it hard to get a bus through and I bet stagecoach drivers are glad it has been discontinued. I did get a rude response when I said this to a relative there, i did not use the word bubbles.

Established Member
I meant to post this prior to the council meeting on the 4th May but Cheshire East Council have published a report outlining their preferred proposal to save 1.5 million from the transport budget by radically changing the supported bus network.

The main proposal will see services axed, curtailed, combined and reduced in frequency and would also include the complete withdrawal of ALL evening and Sunday bus services in the borough.

Cheshire East Council Bus Service Proposal

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
I meant to post this prior to the council meeting on the 4th May but Cheshire East Council have published a report outlining their preferred proposal to save 1.5 million from the transport budget by radically changing the supported bus network.

The main proposal will see services axed, curtailed, combined and reduced in frequency and would also include the complete withdrawal of ALL evening and Sunday bus services in the borough.

Cheshire East Council Bus Service Proposal

I started a separate thread for that last week with it being a big story, rather than just a more routine change affecting a single route:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=146324

pemma

Veteran Member
D&G have judged their 378 trial to not be successful. The service will no longer operate after 14th July.

pemma

Veteran Member
D&G have managed to successfully run services commercially which Arriva decided weren't viable. However, the 378 was a bigger challenge.

Established Member
It's not really surprising given it has only been running for a couple of months or so, most people probably aren't even aware it exists, it is running to Handforth Dean , which is not a location that many people might choose to travel by bus to and i'm not aware they've done any marketing.

pemma

Veteran Member
It's not really surprising given it has only been running for a couple of months or so, most people probably aren't even aware it exists, it is running to Handforth Dean , which is not a location that many people might choose to travel by bus to and i'm not aware they've done any marketing.

It's been mentioned in the Wilmslow Guardian and on wilmslow.co.uk.

Some people in Wilmslow claim they didn't know a bus to Knutsford exists, despite all the marketing GHA did when it was a 'GHA Gold' route.

Last edited by a moderator:

pemma

Veteran Member
Bus usage in Cheshire East increased from 5.1 million journeys in 14/15 to 5.4 million journeys in 15/16.

Status
Not open for further replies.