• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Aintree Coachline are running the shuttle service between Knutsford and the Cheshire Show ground. A 58 reg Enviro 400 is being used this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ag51ruk

D&G will not be accepting Cheshire Travelcards from 1 September due to technical issues (I guess that is when they will introduce their new ticket machines). They are hoping to start accepting Travelcards at some point in the future, but that's an effective 15% fare increase in the meantime.

pemma

Veteran Member
D&G will not be accepting Cheshire Travelcards from 1 September due to technical issues (I guess that is when they will introduce their new ticket machines). They are hoping to start accepting Travelcards at some point in the future, but that's an effective 15% fare increase in the meantime.

The Travelcard discount was taken away on the 88 route 1 week after D&G started running the service. Apparently the reason was the contract states Cheshire East get all the revenue from the route (with the exception of local fares within Knutsford) and they didn't want a few people paying £4.25 instead of £5, despite the fact they should be encouraging both operators and passengers to use the Travelcards.

crehld

Established Member

Just to clarify, D&G will cease travelcard top ups on 1 July. Travelcards will no longer be accepted for payment from 1 September.

An extra 75p for a return to Crewe will make driving to the station and paying for a day's parking more economical than taking the bus. What a shame.

pemma

Veteran Member
Just to clarify, D&G will cease travelcard top ups on 1 July. Travelcards will no longer be accepted for payment from 1 September.

There's also a form to fill out if you want a refund on any unused credit but it has to be posted, with your Travelcard, at your own expense and your Travelcard will be cancelled. So unless you have a lot of credit on the card and unlikely to ever a bus where Travelcard discounts are offered, it's probably not worth doing.

An extra 75p for a return to Crewe will make driving to the station and paying for a day's parking more economical than taking the bus. What a shame.

Out of interest is the route you use one of the subsided ones 'under review'?

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't think so. My route is the 85.

D&G booklet indicates a Staffordshire CC subsidy for the early, late and Sunday and Bank Holiday services but no Cheshire East subsidy so it should be safe until Staffordshire CC decide to review their bus subsides.

spargazer

Just as a sideline, and maybe off topic, Handforth is to lose a lot of its NHS services and the souls there will have to go to Macc' and elsewhere, a lot of genuine hardship will be created; unless you have a car or loads of money. This is simply ethnic cleansing and eugenics, caused by a loss of public transport.

http://www.wilmslow.co.uk/news/article/15931/handforth-set-to-lose-some-outpatient-services.

Wythenshawe Hospital is closer but alas..common sense does not prevail, I am so glad I live in TfGM land

Last edited:

daodao

Established Member
Just as a sideline, and maybe off topic, Handforth is to lose a lot of its NHS services and the souls there will have to go to Macc' and elsewhere, a lot of genuine hardship will be created; unless you have a car or loads of money. This is simply ethnic cleansing and eugenics, caused by a loss of public transport.

http://www.wilmslow.co.uk/news/article/15931/handforth-set-to-lose-some-outpatient-services.

Wythenshawe Hospital is closer but alas..common sense does not prevail, I am so glad I live in TfGM land

Shortly after GE2015, I was listening to the Today programme while driving to work and hearing the former CoE (and then local MP) expounding the benefits of DevoManc, which would devolve healthcare responsibility to Greater M/c. After crossing the Bollin for the 3rd time, I realised how much more of a border this tiny river (and the line on the map between Heald Green and Handforth) would become.

East Cheshire may be close to Greater M/c, but political boundaries that have been marked out over the last 50 years mean that it is quite clearly separate organisationally. East Cheshire authorities (Council/CCG etc.) have limited interest in promoting cross-boundary services. Car-less residents of Colshaw Farm and Wilmslow still have a half-hourly weekday bus service (130) to the DGH officially serving them.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just as a sideline, and maybe off topic, Handforth is to lose a lot of its NHS services and the souls there will have to go to Macc' and elsewhere, a lot of genuine hardship will be created; unless you have a car or loads of money.

Are you saying that the Handforth Health Centre, that covers this border area of Cheshire East, is scheduled for closure of many of its existing NHS services? Handforth has a number of residential homes for the elderly who are served by that local health centre together with the Spath Lane social housing estate.

The two nearest hospitals to Handforth are Wythenshawe (Manchester remit) and Stepping Hill (Stockport remit), both areas exterior to Cheshire East.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Are you saying that the Handforth Health Centre, that covers this border area of Cheshire East, is scheduled for closure of many of its existing NHS services? Handforth has a number of residential homes for the elderly who are served by that local health centre together with the Spath Lane social housing estate.

The two nearest hospitals to Handforth are Wythenshawe (Manchester remit) and Stepping Hill (Stockport remit), both areas exterior to Cheshire East.

Looking at that article it says for Rheumatology and Respiratory Medicine patients will have to use Knutsford Community Hospital (formley Cranford Lodge Hospital.) Yet many services there were cutback meaning patients who used to be treated there now have to travel to Macclesfield.

spargazer

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
So Stagecoach claimed they needed a subsidy of £90,000 per annum to maintain the Wilmslow extension of their 378. D&G have said they'd need a subsidy of £70,000 per annum to keep their Wilmslow to Handforth Dean 378 service operating. In comparison the 99 gets a subsidy of £22,000 per annum.

Established Member
£90,000 sounds a lot for a route that only cost 9,000 per year for sunday journeys a few years ago.

In other news D&G will no longer be serving Rode Heath or Scholar Green on their commercial 78 journeys from September.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
£90,000 sounds a lot for a route that only cost 9,000 per year for sunday journeys a few years ago.

I should have also mentioned D&G say they've been getting an average of just 55 passengers per day on the 378. When Stagecoach ran the 378 it wasn't uncommon for services to leave Wilmslow Bank Square with just one ENCTS holder on board.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulWC

In other news D&G will no longer be serving Rode Heath or Scholar Green on their commercial 78 journeys from September.

Apart from evenings and Saturdays, it'll only go as far as Coppenhall. Sandbach, Alsager and Rode Heath lose their direct daytime link to Leighton Hospital. On weekdays, the 78 will be similar to the old K28 which ran from Nantwich to Leighton Hospital.

Under CEC's proposals of course, the remaining journeys running to Sandbach and Alsager would be cut anyway. Coupled with the withdrawal of services like the 315 and the 32, this would leave parts of Sandbach and Alsager with no buses at all.

ag51ruk

Will be interesting to see the timetable when published - if all buses finish at Coppenhall, presumably they are planning to run the service with 1 vehicle (30 minute journey time Nantwich - Leighton Hospital) but it will struggle at certain times because of traffic.

There are also large numbers of schoolchildren travelling to Sandbach on the first northbound bus of the day (usually people standing from Coppenhall) who must also come home at some point, so Cheshire East may have to fund at least those journeys.

I was hopeful that D&G might pick up some of the withdrawn subsidised services from next April, but if they are already cutting back commercial routes that looks unlikely.

spargazer

I watched the 378 depart Wilmslow about 2pm with 6 pax on board, all ENCTS but it was being used but alas D&G are not a charity

pemma

Veteran Member
D&G have cancelled the existing 85/85B registration from September.

They have registered a new 85/85A service from Nantwich to Hanley via Crewe, Madeley, Keele University, Newcastle under Lyme

PaulWC

D&G have cancelled the existing 85/85B registration from September.

They have registered a new 85/85A service from Nantwich to Hanley via Crewe, Madeley, Keele University, Newcastle under Lyme

Curious. D&G ran the 85 from Nantwich to Hanley for a short while a few years ago. The section from Nantwich to Crewe went via Danebank Avenue and wasn't well used. The route from Newcastle to Hanley is covered by other D&G services. Maybe D&G are combining a few services, as they invariably do.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Curious. D&G ran the 85 from Nantwich to Hanley for a short while a few years ago. The section from Nantwich to Crewe went via Danebank Avenue and wasn't well used. The route from Newcastle to Hanley is covered by other D&G services. Maybe D&G are combining a few services, as they invariably do.

The 85 'always' used to run through from Hanley. In the past the route was Hanley to Chester (and Birkenhead or was that an advertised connection?) under Crosville, then Midland Redline. At some point the route was split into Hanley to Crewe (or Nantwich?) and Crewe to Chester. D & G took over the Hanley to Crewe (or Nantwich?) section and subsequently cut the Hanley to Newcastle section.

As always with basic VOSA registration information, without the full detailed timetable I wouldn't wish to comment. It could be a single journey, certain days of the week or every journey every day of the week.

Hopefully it will be rather more direct (and therefore much quicker) from Keele University to Hanley than the First Potteries alternative - round the houses and humps (Pool Dam), hospital and rail station.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
The 1A and 1B are also going to be revised from September but I've got no idea on what the changes will be. Possibly it could be connected with the 85 change?

ag51ruk

The 1A and 1B are also going to be revised from September but I've got no idea on what the changes will be. Possibly it could be connected with the 85 change?

There appears to be a cancellation for the 1A/1B but no new replacement registration - so could be that the extension of the 85 from Crewe to Nantwich is a replacement for the 1 and will run via Marshfield.

Established Member
The 85 'always' used to run through from Hanley. In the past the route was Hanley to Chester (and Birkenhead or was that an advertised connection?) under Crosville, then Midland Redline.

Must have been 1990-1993ish - MidRed for some years did a C84 Chester-Crewe-Madeley-Keele Uni-Newcastle-Hanley, Mon to Sat ...with PMT Crewe doing the two hourly Sunday service. Without fail, PMT would stick one of their G/XRE deckers on the 1030 one off Chester every Sunday. Just kept to the timetable, but only by running utterly flat out. Better than Alton Towers :lol:

Photo ©Deltabus
5316148972_ce9111c3ce.jpg

PaulWC

The 85 'always' used to run through from Hanley. In the past the route was Hanley to Chester (and Birkenhead or was that an advertised connection?) under Crosville, then Midland Redline. At some point the route was split into Hanley to Crewe (or Nantwich?) and Crewe to Chester. D & G took over the Hanley to Crewe (or Nantwich?) section and subsequently cut the Hanley to Newcastle section.

As the C84, Crosville only ran from Chester to Newcastle. Anything past Chester would, as you say, have simply been an advertised connection. Newcastle to Hanley was PMT territory. It was 1986 when the extension to Hanley started, around the time the National Garden Festival was on and was advertised as such.

I think it would have been under Arriva that the service was split into 84 Crewe to Chester and 85 Nantwich to Hanley. The common route between Crewe and Nantwich was to maintain the headway between the two, although the 85 was later cut back to start at Crewe. When D&G took over it was just Crewe to Newcastle, and they added extensions to Hanley and Nantwich, but neither lasted too long.

I notice D&G are altering a few services in North Staffs in September as well, so the extension of the 85 could well replace services at both ends.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Must have been 1990-1993ish - MidRed for some years did a C84 Chester-Crewe-Madeley-Keele Uni-Newcastle-Hanley, Mon to Sat ...with PMT Crewe doing the two hourly Sunday service. Without fail, PMT would stick one of their G/XRE deckers on the 1030 one off Chester every Sunday. Just kept to the timetable, but only by running utterly flat out. Better than Alton Towers :lol:

Photo ©Deltabus
5316148972_ce9111c3ce.jpg

I asked my good lady wife what she thought of this image and her reaction was "Why is there an advert for a particular woman's ailment on the side of the bus?"... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.