• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
I asked my good lady wife what she thought of this image and her reaction was "Why is there an advert for a particular woman's ailment on the side of the bus?"... :D

PMT is now a guitar shop. ;)

Guitar Shop | Music Shop | PMT Online Musical Instrument Store
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/
UK's biggest Guitar Shop & Music Store, including Birmingham, Manchester & Leeds Guitar Stores. Supplying musical equipment for over 25 years.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I asked my good lady wife what she thought of this image and her reaction was "Why is there an advert for a particular woman's ailment on the side of the bus?"... :D

Perhaps more a case of why name / abbreviate an ailment to the same as that of a large midlands bus company. The old Potteries Motor Traction Co Ltd used to put PMT on their buses / publicity way back. Certainly as early as 1961 and I am sure a quick Google search will find photos of buses prior to that.

crehld

Established Member
D&G have cancelled the existing 85/85B registration from September.

They have registered a new 85/85A service from Nantwich to Hanley via Crewe, Madeley, Keele University, Newcastle under Lyme

Curious. D&G ran the 85 from Nantwich to Hanley for a short while a few years ago. The section from Nantwich to Crewe went via Danebank Avenue and wasn't well used. The route from Newcastle to Hanley is covered by other D&G services. Maybe D&G are combining a few services, as they invariably do.

Interesting. The 85 did indeed used to run through to Hanley up to a couple of years ago. The traffic in Hanley meant the service was incredibly unreliable and almost always consistently late. D&G cut it between Newcastle and Hanley, at the time citing poor reliability and a lack of patronage. Would be interesting to know what's changed.

Is there any indication of what the timetable is? I sincerely hope the very useful and valuable evening services still exist.

crehld

Established Member
Hopefully it will be rather more direct (and therefore much quicker) from Keele University to Hanley than the First Potteries alternative - round the houses and humps (Pool Dam), hospital and rail station.

Indeed. An hour for what should be a 5 mile journey is ridiculous. From Keele it's actually quicker (and not liable to delay) to take the 85 to Crewe station, than it is the Potteries bus to Stoke-on-Trent station.

pemma

Veteran Member
Interesting. The 85 did indeed used to run through to Hanley up to a couple of years ago. The traffic in Hanley meant the service was incredibly unreliable and almost always consistently late. D&G cut it between Newcastle and Hanley, at the time citing poor reliability and a lack of patronage. Would be interesting to know what's changed.

Is there any indication of what the timetable is? I sincerely hope the very useful and valuable evening services still exist.

A registration has been approved by the Traffic Commissioner so all you can do is keep an eye on both the relevant websites (D&G, Cheshire East and Staffordshire) for the full timetable being published.

It should be noted that the early, late, Sunday and Bank Holiday services on the 85 route receive a subsidy for Staffordshire CC, so they will likely be included in the Staffordshire bus review which will be published next week.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Indeed. An hour for what should be a 5 mile journey is ridiculous. From Keele it's actually quicker (and not liable to delay) to take the 85 to Crewe station, than it is the Potteries bus to Stoke-on-Trent station.

My head hurts when I think of my travelling to Keele. I used to attend a course once a fortnight at The Hawthorns i.e. beyond the main campus. Often it was possible to catch a '25' (or whatever it was then) and jump on to the preceding one on arrival at Newcastle Bus Station! The boss drove from Wrexham quicker than I could get from Hanley to Keele and proposed that we moved to one of the IC buildings. Why don't people commute by bus anymore!

D & G are good at putting their timetables up on their website - about a month before the change takes place (perhaps it is exactly 28 days). Staffordshire will rely on input to Traveline by Stoke-on-Trent City Council which can be variable it terms of timing. East Cheshire?

Last edited:

crehld

Established Member
A registration has been approved by the Traffic Commissioner so all you can do is keep an eye on both the relevant websites (D&G, Cheshire East and Staffordshire) for the full timetable being published.

It should be noted that the early, late, Sunday and Bank Holiday services on the 85 route receive a subsidy for Staffordshire CC, so they will likely be included in the Staffordshire bus review which will be published next week.

Well our local Conservative councillor was elected in May on a pledge that if the Conservatives were returned to a majority in Staffordshire County Council there would be no cuts made to council supported routes. I look forward to seeing how that will be implemented.....

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Well our local Conservative councillor was elected in May on a pledge that if the Conservatives were returned to a majority in Staffordshire County Council there would be no cuts made to council supported routes. I look forward to seeing how that will be implemented.....

It's like the pensioners bus pass - safe in Conservative hands - You still have one just no buses you can use it on.

No cuts to routes does not mean no cuts to frequency or usability. I put forward the various day elements of service 15 out of Newport as an example of a box ticking exercise - many parishes are served but not by anything worth having!

crehld

Established Member
It's like the pensioners bus pass - safe in Conservative hands - You still have one just no buses you can use it on.

No cuts to routes does not mean no cuts to frequency or usability. I put forward the various day elements of service 15 out of Newport as an example of a box ticking exercise - many parishes are served but not by anything worth having!

Quite - which is why I said I looked forward to how that pledge would be implemented ;)

pemma

Veteran Member
Styal Road, Wilmslow - closure from 24 July for approx 6 weeks
Emergency repairs to a faulty electricity cable on Styal Road Wilmslow commence on Monday 24th July for approx. six weeks. Styal Road will be closed completely so service 200 will divert
via the A34, Heald Green and Finney Lane to get to the Airport. There will be no bus service to Styal Village or Quarry Bank Mill for this period.

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/public_transport/bus/bus_service_timetables.aspx

Given there's an hourly Wilmslow-Airport train service surely ensuring Styal village has some sort of service is more important than ensuring the bus still serves both Wilmslow and the Airport?

itsonlyme

Was really looking forward to a trip to Quarry Bank with friends in a fortnight, with me getting older and less mobile it's now unlikely to happen.

I wish the Electricity distribution company involved many, many, blown fuses, burnt out cables, and exploding substations etc. etc.

Signed
Disappointed of Crewe.

theshillito

Was really looking forward to a trip to Quarry Bank with friends in a fortnight, with me getting older and less mobile it's now unlikely to happen.

I wish the Electricity distribution company involved many, many, blown fuses, burnt out cables, and exploding substations etc. etc.

Signed
Disappointed of Crewe.

Not sure how close Styal station is to Quarry Bank Mill, but there's still a handful of trains each day, though you'll likely need to double-back from Manchester Airport. That being said, there's a train every 2 hours on Sundays, which would be more convenient. Also, with a train ticket to Styal, you get discounted entry to Quarry Bank Mill if I remember right.

pemma

Veteran Member
Not sure how close Styal station is to Quarry Bank Mill, but there's still a handful of trains each day, though you'll likely need to double-back from Manchester Airport. That being said, there's a train every 2 hours on Sundays, which would be more convenient. Also, with a train ticket to Styal, you get discounted entry to Quarry Bank Mill if I remember right.

No mention of that on NT website. It used to be you could buy a rail ticket to Quarry Bank Mill which included a journey on the 200 bus from the Airport plus admission but that's not been advertised for a long time now.

itsonlyme

Good idea to double back at the Airport, but these days I have absoulutely no confidence in an 11:04 arrival from Crewe connecting with an 11:11 departure to Styal and I don't fancy plane spotting for two hours.

In the short term the sensible thing to do here would be to stop all the Wilmslow - Airport trains at Styal while the roadworks contine. But sensible and Cheshire East Council don't go well together. Short term and railway are an imposssibilty unless they form part of THE PLAN made years earlier.

spargazer

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/public_transport/bus/bus_service_timetables.aspx

Given there's an hourly Wilmslow-Airport train service surely ensuring Styal village has some sort of service is more important than ensuring the bus still serves both Wilmslow and the Airport?

the road sign says 12 week and this epitaph

http://www.enwl.co.uk/news-and-pres...d-project-to-upgrade-wilmslow-s-power-network

says 17 weeks, (end Nov 2017) footpaths remain open and i believe cyclists can pass.

I am about to have a Father Ted moment https://www.flickr.com/photos/89153538@N08/35938922711/in/dateposted/

Last edited:

itsonlyme

I think everywhere will always remain accessible from one direction or the other, but never from both directions at the same time.

During the school holidays what is being done with all the TSS minibuses I saw parked up on a bit of obsolete road near Haslington yesterday? These could be used to provide replacement service(s) at little cost over that of wages and fuel (which may even be less than the subsidy presently paid to Howards)

pemma

Veteran Member
I think everywhere will always remain accessible from one direction or the other, but never from both directions at the same time.

During the school holidays what is being done with all the TSS minibuses I saw parked up on a bit of obsolete road near Haslington yesterday? These could be used to provide replacement service(s) at little cost over that of wages and fuel (which may even be less than the subsidy presently paid to Howards)

They are needed in Crewe from 6pm for the Flexirider services so it probably wouldn't be possible to provide a replacement for the last bus on the 200 using those vehicles.

I don't get why they don't keep the 200 between the Viewing Park and Styal, then direct Wilmslow passengers to travel via the Airport (by rail), rather than cutting off Styal (apart from the peak time rail service.) Of course the best option is to get Northern to make additional Styal calls but I fear if Cheshire East ask the response will be "We can't do it until the next recast"

scrapy

Established Member
At least Styal should have an hourly rail service 7 days a week from May 2018.

pemma

Veteran Member
Although not starting until 2018 and the summer of no real public transport might increase the number of teenagers who learn to drive and get their own car and the same might apply to older people who don't currently have a car. Note the proposed withdrawal of the 200 bus at the end of the financial year has received a lot more publicity than the proposed hourly train from Styal in May 2018 which has only been included in a document issued to stakeholders so far.

itsonlyme

I have no doubt that the lower number of passengers using the route during these cleverly timed roadwork's will be used by the council in their case justifying the routes withdrawal.

pemma

Veteran Member
A list of September changes has been added to the Cheshire East website

43 Network Warrington PC0001977/101 Partington - Lymm - Little Bollington: commercial registration cancelled, service withdrawn.

78 D&G Bus PC1090231/75 Nantwich - Rode Heath: D&G have registered to change their commercial journeys on the 78 service. The D&G commercial journeys have been shortened to start or end at Coppenhall instead of operating from or too Rode Heath and Scholar Green. There are no changes to the evening and Saturday journeys paid for by Cheshire East Council.

130 Arriva PC0002598/290 Macclesfield - Manchester: route and timetable revised with service improvements.

1A, 1B D&G Bus PC1090231/96 Crewe - Nantwich: registration cancelled, service withdrawn. See new 85, 85A service for replacement.

61 D&G PC1090231/39 Hankelow - Brine Leas High: timetable revised.

72 D&G Bus PC1090231/106 Nantwich - Whitchurch: timetable revised.

73 D&G Bus PC1090231/105 Nantwich - Whitchurch: timetable revised.

85, 85A D&G Bus PC1090231 Nantwich - Crewe - Newcastle - Hanley: route and timetable revised. Now incorporates 1A, 1B sections of route covering Dunwoody Way, Rolls Avenue, Business Park, Macon Way as well as being extended to Nantwich and Hanley Monday to Saturday.

94, 94A D&G Bus PD1128125/74 Newcastle - Congleton: route and timetable revised.

863 D&G PC1090231/101 Wrenbury - Sound - Brine Leas High: route and timetable revised. St Thomas More and South Cheshire College section of route withdrawn.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

Details of the Staffordshire review and, ahem, consultation, cough, cough, now available. Perhaps best discussed in the proper thread: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=137958

But for convenience, this is the link to the details:
https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/transport/publictransport/buses/Bus-review/Bus-review.aspx

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
A list of September changes has been added to the Cheshire East website

85, 85A D&G Bus PC1090231 Nantwich - Crewe - Newcastle - Hanley: route and timetable revised. Now incorporates 1A, 1B sections of route covering Dunwoody Way, Rolls Avenue, Business Park, Macon Way as well as being extended to Nantwich and Hanley Monday to Saturday.

Cheshire East Chocolate teapot department. "route and timetable revised". In what way? Increased to operate every 10 minutes 24/7 or cut to one per week on market day?

itsonlyme

Cheshire East Chocolate teapot department. "route and timetable revised".

You over estimate them, at least a chocolate teapot has its uses - even if it is only enjoyable to eat.

itsonlyme

Road closure cancelled, so route 200 now running as normal.

From Cheshire East Website:-

Styal Road, Wilmslow - 24 July for approx 6 weeks

Emergency repairs to a faulty electricity cable on Styal Road Wilmslow commenced on Monday 24th July for approx. six weeks. The planned closure has now been cancelled and works will be carried out using temporary traffic lights. As a result, service 200 will no longer be diverted but may be delayed.

pemma

Veteran Member
You over estimate them, at least a chocolate teapot has its uses - even if it is only enjoyable to eat.

But they acquired the chocolate teapot so that Councillor Michael Jones can get even fatter, while the council employees can't even have a cup of tea while they are working. ;)

itsonlyme

But they acquired the chocolate teapot so that Councillor Michael Jones can get even fatter, while the council employees can't even have a cup of tea while they are working.

I thought he had moved on after his sesion with the physiotherapist!:roll:

Last week I thought the binmen were drinking tea, I did not realise it was banned - must have been hot chocolate.

(Better get back on group / topic now)

pemma

Veteran Member

They've put forward 4 options, it's appears 3 of them would see Mon-Sat 18:10 to 23:05hrs
Newcastle to Crewe, 18:15 to 22:15hrs from Crewe services withdrawn, as well as all Sunday and Bank Holiday services.

Also affected in Cheshire East would be the 108 Macclesfield to Leek service, which would see all services withdrawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.