• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Also affected in Cheshire East would be the 108 Macclesfield to Leek service, which would see all services withdrawn.

I have fond memories of this service in its former guise from Macclesfield to Ashbourne when Clowes Coaches ran it with a second-hand Arriva minibus. The driver issued no tickets and wrote down each individual passenger journey in a spiral-bound ruled notebook.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
They've put forward 4 options, it's appears 3 of them would see Mon-Sat 18:10 to 23:05hrs
Newcastle to Crewe, 18:15 to 22:15hrs from Crewe services withdrawn, as well as all Sunday and Bank Holiday services.

Also affected in Cheshire East would be the 108 Macclesfield to Leek service, which would see all services withdrawn.

My version shows the 108 subsidy remaining under all three 'bus' options. Only Option 4 'all dial-a-ride' results in the 108 being withdrawn.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I have fond memories of this service in its former guise from Macclesfield to Ashbourne when Clowes Coaches ran it with a second-hand Arriva minibus. The driver issued no tickets and wrote down each individual passenger journey in a spiral-bound ruled notebook.

It was a clipboard when I used it. A return ticket on the monthly Monday Bakewell service was 'see you later'. Once we stopped to chat to the farmer herding Cows (not Clowes) between the depot and Longnor. Another the driver stopped to say hello to his mum in Longnor. "I couldn't drive past my mum without saying hello could I" Not all happened on the same trip however. You just don't get that with First!

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
They can't run it to time as they keep trying to use too few vehicles to run it as a punctual service.

daodao

Established Member
<D
130 service to be cutback again from 3rd September: https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-w...o-macclesfield/?direction=inbound&date=170903 New timetable is very inconsistent - at times there's 30 minutes between Wilmslow to Macclesfield services, at other times there's more than 2 hours between services!

The service reduction is so drastic as to make the service of minimal value. For example, on Mon-Fri, there is no departure from Macclesfield between 1548 and 1825 and only 1 service leaving Wilmslow for Macclesfield after 1505. Only a handful of services extend beyond Colshaw Farm to Manchester.

A service on this route that is less than hourly won't survive for long.

The Cheshire East website states under "Bus service changes for Sunday 3 September 2017":
130 Arriva PC0002598/290 Macclesfield - Manchester: route and timetable revised with service improvements.

Orwellian doublespeak!<D

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Perhaps I am not up to date, but under the Cheshire East review, what is the situation with the 392 service from Macclesfield to Stockport?

The proposal is to withdraw the P1 and to re-route the 392 so it covers stops currently covered by the P1 and to withdraw the Hazel Grove to Stockport section.

pemma

Veteran Member
New 85 times now appearing on Traveline

From Nantwich weekday departures will be hourly from 08:15 to 15:15 then a 17:00 and 18:00 service.

From Hanley weekday departures will be hourly from 08:53 to 16:53.

There are also some part journeys e.g. there is a 07:35 Newcastle to Nantwich journey but there isn't any easy way to find all part journeys on Traveline.

daodao

Established Member
New 85 times now appearing on Traveline

From Nantwich weekday departures will be hourly from 08:15 to 15:15 then a 17:00 and 18:00 service.

From Hanley weekday departures will be hourly from 08:53 to 16:53.

There are also some part journeys e.g. there is a 07:35 Newcastle to Nantwich journey but there isn't any easy way to find all part journeys on Traveline.

Full timetable is on Traveline WM at:
http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/wmtis/TTB/CEN_EFA02__00007396_TP.pdf

The Mon-Fri short workings Newcastle to Madeley/Bridgemere cease after 1/9/17.

ag51ruk

Full timetable is on Traveline WM at:
http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/wmtis/TTB/CEN_EFA02__00007396_TP.pdf

The Mon-Fri short workings Newcastle to Madeley/Bridgemere cease after 1/9/17.

The new 85 timetable doesn't show what is currently the 1A between Nantwich and Crewe (which are showing as individual journeys on Traveline, still as route 1A - but the 1B journeys are also still showing, alongisde the replacement 85, so still a work in progress I think). I expect the existing 1A will become the new 85A, running only in Cheshire East.

A bit annoying that D&G haven't published the new timetable on their own website yet, despite knowing what it is and showing changes to some other routes from the same date. They also haven't publicised the changes to the 78 yet on their own site.

pemma

Veteran Member
If it is incorrect, why is it still on their website? I believe that it is indeed correct.

Reportedly the change accepted by the TC included some journeys being routed via Macclesfield College and they are absent from the timetable currently showing on their website.

pemma

Veteran Member
The new 85 timetable doesn't show what is currently the 1A between Nantwich and Crewe (which are showing as individual journeys on Traveline, still as route 1A - but the 1B journeys are also still showing, alongisde the replacement 85, so still a work in progress I think). I expect the existing 1A will become the new 85A, running only in Cheshire East.

The request to cancel the 1A and 1B is separate from the request to extend the 85 route so it's likely Traveline have updated the 85 but not yet updated the 1A and 1B.

D&G do have a contract with Cheshire East to run a service to/from Eagle Bridge Health Centre but they aren't under any obligation to provide a replacement for the fully commercial 1A so if they decided it's not making enough money there may be no replacement. Does the 1A serve any roads not served by the new 85 or the existing 42 or 78 services?

ag51ruk

Does the 1A serve any roads not served by the new 85 or the existing 42 or 78 services?

It serves part of West Street that doesn't get any other D&G bus, but is served by Arriva - however, the current half hourly service to Marshfield provided by a combination of the 1A and 1B is well used, and there are some early morning services that don't appear on the new timetable. The new registration for the 85 mentions an 85A, and Macon Way/Crewe Business Park, which aren't covered by the new Hanley - Nantwich timetable on Traveline

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
D&G have put the following on their website

You can buy your ticket in advance from the following locations:

Premier Convenience Store, 35 High Street, Silverdale
• Potteries Weekly Rover £12, Potteries Four-Weekly Rover £46, Network Weekly Rover £18

Nantwich Tourist Information, Civic Centre, Nantwich
• Adult Cheshire Weekly Rover £15, Child Cheshire Weekly Rover £10, Network Weekly Rover £18, Network Four-Weekly Rover £70

Super News, 4 Market Street, Crewe
• Adult Cheshire Weekly Rover £15, Network Weekly Rover £18, Network Four-Weekly Rover £70

Shire News, 110 High Street, Newcastle
• Potteries Weekly Rover £12, Potteries Four-Weekly Rover £46, Network Weekly Rover £18, Network Four-Weekly Rover £70

Are these pre-printed Monday to Sunday tickets or do they have a way of printing tickets in those shops?

pemma

Veteran Member
Full new 85 timetable including some short 85A services to replace the current 1A services: http://dgbus.co.uk/assets/85,85a_2017-09-03.pdf

It looks like they're going to take a vehicle off the route at school start/finish times which reduces the frequency of Nantwich-Marshfield-Crewe services at those times but for most of the day Crewe-Marshfield-Nantwich will retain a half-hourly frequency.

The new 78: http://dgbus.co.uk/assets/78_2017-09-03.pdf also sees a gap in service at school finishing time and no Nantwich departures before 9am.

The new 94 sees re-routing via Bradwell and some extra Bradwell to Newcastle services (replacing the existing 17 service) but retains the existing frequency between Congleton and Newcastle: http://dgbus.co.uk/assets/94,94a_2017-09-03.pdf

pemma

Veteran Member
If it is incorrect, why is it still on their website? I believe that it is indeed correct.

No it was incorrect. New corrected timetable: https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/GetTime...9fa5-a2b7c027d39d&id=31688&date=170903-171108

I've noticed the last bus to Macclesfield from Wilmslow is now 20:00 on weekdays and 19:02 on Saturdays. Evening peak departures are still inconsistent though - after 15:08 from Macc the departure times are 15:48, 16:35, 17:10 and 18:25 and from Wilmslow southbound departure times are 15:40, 16:20, 17:34, 18:14, 18:47, 19:29 and 20:00.

pemma

Veteran Member
The Lacey Green residents wanting the 378 to be reinstated aren't doing themselves any favours. One post on a news article about it refers to D&G lying about passenger counts (they said an average of 55 passengers per day.) I saw a Tweet where someone was complaining about the loss of the 378 and replied to it asking how far is to a bus stop on an alternative route from where they are and got sworn at. Someone else on Twitter has been demanding that a councillor who doesn't even represent Wilmslow and isn't a Conservative does something about the 378 - he's got 4 routes in his own area which may be cut back under the bus review.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Accident of geography, I'm afraid.

By the way, Cheshire East isn't a cc, but a ua. I'll collect my anorak on the way out.

Nerd!:lol:

The Lacey Green residents wanting the 378 to be reinstated aren't doing themselves any favours. One post on a news article about it refers to D&G lying about passenger counts (they said an average of 55 passengers per day.) I saw a Tweet where someone was complaining about the loss of the 378 and replied to it asking how far is to a bus stop on an alternative route from where they are and got sworn at. Someone else on Twitter has been demanding that a councillor who doesn't even represent Wilmslow and isn't a Conservative does something about the 378 - he's got 4 routes in his own area which may be cut back under the bus review.

Well would you trust D&G? I know I wouldn't!

pemma

Veteran Member
Well would you trust D&G? I know I wouldn't!

I think D&G are one of the few operators in the area who would continue to run a route if they were only making a small profit off it. The likes of Arriva and Stagecoach would cancel a service because the profit margin is too low.

Amberley54

Who is the councillor getting the flack?

pemma

Veteran Member
Who is the councillor getting the flack?

An independent councillor who is on Knutsford Town Council and had responded to a tweet from Esther McVey on buses. It seems some Lacey Green resident saw a tweet from someone which indicated that they are a councillor and started demanding they do something for their area, without checking where they are a councillor for.

Status
Not open for further replies.