• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amberley54

Monday to Friday additions to the 19 timetable dated 4th August 2014:-

0807 ex Lees Lane to Macclesfield Bus Station
1530 ex Macclesfield Bus Station to Lees Lane

0725/0850/1700 ex Macclesfield Bus Station to Bonis Hall Lane, McCanns
0925/1625/1740 ex Bonis Hall Lane, McCanns to Macclesfield Bus Station

I wonder if McCanns have made at financial contribution to the peak hour extension?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Buses on the 300 Knutsford circular evening service operated by Tomlinson Travel have been going missing - last night no services operated at all. I wonder what's going on. The 300 evening service is the only public bus service Tomlinson Travel have and they only seem to use 2 drivers on it and 2 buses on it (although only usually 1 bus and 1 driver each night) so maybe it's a case of having both drivers or both buses unavailable.

pemma

Veteran Member
Tomlinson Travel to cancel 49 Holmes Chapel to Northwich service from 4th November. I wonder if it's the same circumstances as the 47 Holmes Chapel to Warrington service which they were under contract from Cheshire East council to run but asked to terminate it before the end of the contract, which Cheshire East agreed to.

Well this service is to be reinstated in part. Cheshire East council seem to think a Tuesday and Friday reinstatement of the 47 service between High Legh and Warrington only is adequate replacement for the loss of the mainly hourly Warrington Coachways Altrincham-High Legh-Warrington service. It's also the reverse of the old 47 service so that the bus starts and ends in Warrington and giving less useful options for people in High Legh.

New timetable: https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/PDF/47_Warrington_-_Lymm_-_High_Legh.pdf

pemma

Veteran Member
A lot of GHA applications to the Traffic Commissioner have been approved in the last couple of days. Timetable revisions to the 27 and 88 routes and registration of an 8A service, a 42 service, a 78 service, a 90 service which call correspond with routes currently run by D&G Bus. Also a route revision on the 6E service.

Last edited by a moderator:

pemma

Veteran Member
GHA look to also be taking over route 6 from D&G. How many tendered services do D&G Bus have left in Cheshire East?

pemma

Veteran Member
Changes from 26th October:

6, 6M D&G Bus Leighton Hospital - Crewe - Shavington - Nantwich: Timetable and route revised, service extended to Nantwich and Millfields to part replace 44, 44M service and GHA 53 service. Gresty Road, Rail House reinstated using new right hand turn from Nantwich Road.

6E GHA Leighton Hospital - Crewe – Shavington: Route revised to serve Gresty Road, Rail House using new right hand turn from Nantwich Road.

6 Arriva Crewe - Brookhouse Estate: Timetable revised, 0650, 0720, 1050, 1420, 1730, 1800, 1830 journeys withdrawn. Gresty Road, Rail House reinstated using new right hand turn from Nantwich Road.

8 Arriva Crewe - Wistaston Green: Timetable revised, 0735, 1005, 1405, 1735, 1805 journeys withdrawn.

8, 8A D&G Bus and GHA Coaches Wistaston Green - Crewe - Sydney: D&G Bus have lost the Sunday & Bank Holiday contract. The Sunday and Bank Holiday journeys will now be operated by GHA Coaches with extra Monday – Saturday evening journeys at 1900, 2000, 2100 from Crewe to Sydney.

9 GHA Crewe - Wistaston - Crewe: Monday to Friday afternoon contract awarded to GHA, part replaces withdrawn bakerbus 9 service.

27, 27A, 27B Macclesfield - Knutsford: Additional services added departing Macclesfield at 09:30, 11:30 and 13:30 and departing Knutsford at 10:15, 12:15 and 14:15

32 D&G Bus Crewe - Sandbach: Contract awarded to D&G, previously operated by bakerbus. 2 journeys extended to / from Crewe Railway Station and the 1645 journey from Sandbach revised to run at 1635. Saturday journeys increased to 4 each way.

37, 37A, 37E Arriva Crewe - Sandbach - Winsford: Timetable revised with enhanced Monday to Saturday evening service between Winsford and Sandbach.

38 (Sundays and Bank Holidays) D&G Bus Nantwich - Crewe - Sandbach – Macclesfield: Route and timetable revised. New contract awarded to cover Crewe to Nantwich via Marshfield replacing previous D&G Sunday 45, 45A service.

39 GHA Crewe - Shavington - Nantwich: Timetable and route revised to provide an improved service.

42 GHA Crewe - Leighton Hospital - Holmes Chapel - Congleton: Contract awarded to GHA, previously operated by D&G Bus. Timetable revised. Crewe Railway Station extension withdrawn. Improved hourly Saturday service to Congleton.

44, 44M D&G Bus: Registration cancelled, see revised 6, 6M service for replacement.

45, 45A D&G Crewe - Ashbank - Marshfield – Nantwich: 45 journeys revised to serve Davenport Avenue in Nantwich. Last journey extended to Marshfield Bank, Beefeater. Sunday & BH journeys withdrawn will now be covered on the revised 38 service. Mon - Sat 45A 0812 from Marshfield to Crewe withdrawn. New Sat 0750 45 journey from Marshfield Bank to Crewe.

51, 52, 52A GHA Nantwich Circulars: Timetable revised. 53 service withdrawn, replaced by revised D&G 6, 6M service.

72, 73 GHA Nantwich - Whitchurch: Route and timetable revised. 75 service will now be operated on a new contract awarded to Routemaster Buses.

78 D&G Bus and GHA Coaches Nantwich - Rode Heath: Service revised with part of the service becoming commercial on Monday to Friday. Supported all day Saturday and Monday to Friday afternoon / evening journeys won by GHA Coaches. Route revised to serve Willaston.

84 Arriva Crewe - Chester: Timetable revised.

85, 85B D&G Bus Crewe - Hanley: Service no longer serves Hanley, now terminates at Newcastle Bus Station. Timetable revised.

88 GHA Knutsford – Altrincham via Wilmslow: Timetable and route revised to provide an improved service. Service revised to serve Wilmslow Railway Station and increased to half hourly.

90, 91, 92 GHA Congleton Circulars: Contract awarded to GHA, replacing D&G 39, 90, 91 and bakerbus 92 services. New Congleton Circulars serving Bromley, Mossley and Buglawton with improved timetables.

130 Arriva Macclesfield - Manchester: Timetable revised, the 1740 Mon – Fri journey from Macclesfield shortened to end at Wilmslow instead of Parrs Wood and the 1818 Saturday journey from Manchester withdrawn.

Routemaster Buses Nantwich Rural Services: New Cheshire East Council contract awarded.
56 Tiverton - Nantwich on Thursdays and Saturdays - existing service
68 Leighton Hospital - Church Minshull - Nantwich Monday to Saturday – new service
75 Nantwich - Market Drayton on Wednesdays only - existing service
79 Audlem – Nantwich - Hanley on Fridays only - new service
83 Nantwich - Bunbury - Chester on Tuesdays - revised timetable
89 Nantwich – Wrexham on Mondays only - new service

martinsh

Established Member
6 Arriva Crewe - Brookhouse Estate: Timetable revised, 0650, 0720, 1050, 1420, 1730, 1800, 1830 journeys withdrawn. Gresty Road, Rail House reinstated using new right hand turn from Nantwich Road.

Usage of 1830 journey has declined significantly since I started shopping at Aldi rather than ASDA !!

Strange having those odd journeys missing in the middle of the day though ...

pemma

Veteran Member
Usage of 1830 journey has declined significantly since I started shopping at Aldi rather than ASDA !!

Strange having those odd journeys missing in the middle of the day though ...

Yep, the 300 service has some weird gaps in it as well and to make matters worse the driver has his/her statutory break between 12:39 and 13:19 and then the bus is just parked out-of-use on Bexton Lane between 13:49 and 14:39 with the driver on board, so it's not making D&G Bus any money but is actually costing them money to have a bus and driver there not doing anything.

I find it strange that the 27 route is getting extra services but it doesn't include something like a 07:45 Macclesfield-Knutsford and a 17:30 Knutsford-Macclesfield on weekdays which would suit the people commuting to Knutsford who mainly gave up on the 27 service when High Peak cut back the service to operate it using a single bus.

pemma

Veteran Member
Having the 88 service calling in at Wilmslow railway station is very welcome news.

Apparently that is on request of a Wilmslow Councillor. There are going to be 4 new route branded Enviro 200 buses used on the 88 service which will have leather seats and wi-fi.

I wonder what will happen to the Optare Versas and Dennis DARTs in the Cheshire Connect livery? Maybe they could be based at Macclesfield for the 19 and 27 services with the buses currently used on those services being moved to the Congleton services which they'll start running?

trawscymru27

Apparently that is on request of a Wilmslow Councillor. There are going to be 4 new route branded Enviro 200 buses used on the 88 service which will have leather seats and wi-fi.

I wonder what will happen to the Optare Versas and Dennis DARTs in the Cheshire Connect livery? Maybe they could be based at Macclesfield for the 19 and 27 services with the buses currently used on those services being moved to the Congleton services which they'll start running?

One of the Versas has already moved to GHA's Bryn Melyn subsidiary for services around Shrewsbury. Possibly the other will also.

Excellent news to hear of the upgrade to the 88, I'm sure the wi-fi will draw in passengers.

pemma

Veteran Member
One of the Versas has already moved to GHA's Bryn Melyn subsidiary for services around Shrewsbury. Possibly the other will also.

Excellent news to hear of the upgrade to the 88, I'm sure the wi-fi will draw in passengers.

I did notice only one of the 88 buses was usually a Versa recently but that does happen when one is being serviced and I didn't even realise it was the same one each day. Technically SN03 DZZ shouldn't be used on the standard pattern services in place of a Versa (as it has been recently) except in an emergency as the current contract states 35 seats per hour are required on the route and SN03 DZZ only has 30. However, it's fine to use on the extra service departing Altrincham at 07:45 and then to move to other services later in the day, as it used to do. The other Cheshire Connect branded DART - SK02 TYS has frequently been seen working the 07:45 departure from Altrincham. The decision to route brand SN03 DZZ for the 88 route was a weird one.

The one thing I'm unsure about is there's been a mention of acquiring 4 buses with wi-fi, given the service will require 4 buses there won't be a back-up bus unless GHA already have some buses with wi-fi. In the past there was an extended period where a Dennis Dart (East Lancashire Spryte) covered for one of the Versas following this incident: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...oad-to-be-closed-for-a-month-after-bus-867383

spargazer

Has anyone heard anything about arriva 130 buses having their sumps knocked of passing over the speed bumps at The Astra Zeneca site in Alderly Park?

pemma

Veteran Member
Has anyone heard anything about arriva 130 buses having their sumps knocked of passing over the speed bumps at The Astra Zeneca site in Alderly Park?

When High Peak had the 27 service they revised to route so it didn't serve both the bus stops at Astra Zeneca apparently that was down to them changing the usual bus type from Wright Cadets to Solos with Solos not being able to handle some of the speed bumps well.

spargazer

Not only heard...but felt the impact. Why is there a need for these on an internal company site?

The bumps there are very severe, and the time wasted on this detour averages about 10 minutes, when I heard it was closing it cheered me up but alas it will be a business park I usually go down to Macc' Station and catch the train, this is worth the money, if I time it ok it is ATW or VT.

pemma

Veteran Member
Not only heard...but felt the impact. Why is there a need for these on an internal company site?

It's not uncommon for internal company sites, business parks and industrial estates to have speed bumps where there are long straight sections of road. Probably the idea is to ensure people on foot are safe.

spargazer

Their design may not meet ISO standards, and for cyclists they are an absolute nightmare. Now we may have a H&S issue as it is a workplace, do we?

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Is that the same stephen bryce that was involved with Diamond Bus in the linked article?

theshillito

This may be of interest: http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/...ter_firm_announces_improvement_to_88_service/

The 'GHA Gold' branding is interesting, and tables on the buses!?!

In related news 2 Enviro 200s, part of an order of 17 new buses, have arrived at GHA Coaches' main depot in Ruabon.

"GHA Gold" eh? Tables on buses sounds like a bad idea, but this'll be interesting. Is the 88 the one that keeps passing between operators because they keep struggling to make a profit? If so, that explains them trying to make it seem like a posher way of travelling compared to typical buses.

pemma

Veteran Member
"GHA Gold" eh? Tables on buses sounds like a bad idea, but this'll be interesting. Is the 88 the one that keeps passing between operators because they keep struggling to make a profit? If so, that explains them trying to make it seem like a posher way of travelling compared to typical buses.

Not really. Since the early 1990s it's only effectively had 2 operators.

Star Line Travel operated it in the early 1990s before being taken over by Cowie t/a North Western Road Car Co, who became Arriva North West. Around 5 1/2 years ago Arriva lost the contract to Vale Travel (a subsidiary of GHA Coaches.) This April a new 5 year contract was awarded to GHA Coaches and the subsidy was reduced by £364,000 over 5 years.

The one that keeps passing between operators is really the 27 service, although each operator who has previously run the service (Crossville, Star Line/North Western, Bakerbus and Bowers/High Peak) have operated it for at least 5 years.

The most heavily subsided services in Cheshire East are the ones between Middlewich and Crewe.

I imagine the 'tables' will be two tables at the back with four seats around them like I've seen on some coaches. If that is the case then I imagine the schoolkids will 'bagsy' them on the 07:45 Altrincham to Knutsford and the 15:45 Knutsford to Altrincham.

pemma

Veteran Member

trawscymru27

This picture shows the livery a bit better, and you can see the place names more clearly. I'm really pleased to see them making an effort to bring in passengers. I personally think the 'GHA Gold' wording is too small and not bold enough, but there's no doubt it's a striking livery.

Status
Not open for further replies.