• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
I quite like them where they are.

The Mobberley bound stop just before Shaw Heath PO used to be the only Mobberley bound stop on Mobberley Rd, until Cheshire County Council put the second one near Oakleigh Ave. The Shaw Heath PO one should really have been moved to the other side of the PO where there's room for a bus layby as well. Given they didn't make it accessible I suspect there was a plan to move it and it never materialised.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martin2012

Hope nobody minds me asking this but can anyone remember whenabouts the old Service 20 route (Crewe to Hanley) got replaced by the 3?

martinsh

Established Member
Hope nobody minds me asking this but can anyone remember whenabouts the old Service 20 route (Crewe to Hanley) got replaced by the 3?

Judging by my old photos, sometime between June 2014 and February 2015.
Route is actually the same of course (minus Leighton Hospital bit now), just a different number.

For many years it was the 320 of course

James101

Route is actually the same of course (minus Leighton Hospital bit now), just a different number.

Same as the 20 in its current form. When it was first launched as the 3 it was a mammoth route from Leighton Hospital to Madeley, via the World. Most journeys however worked either Leighton - Keele via Hanley or Talke - Madeley via Hanley. Unreliability, bunching and overcrowding on the Keele end saw it re-split in Hanley and the 25 Hanley-Keele reinstated as a standalone route, with the Madeley - Keele section dropped altogether (though Madeley having 5 buses per hour in the day combined with D&G was always a bit overkill - now they have just one).

Martin2012

Thanks ever so much to those that have taken the time to explain. I had no idea that the 3 ever extended beyond Hanley to Keele/Madely. Out of interest was there a higher frequency between Crewe and Hanley back then than there is now?

I read something online once suggesting that in October 2013 the "Haslington Village extension" was dropped from the 20. Does that mean the 20 didn't serve Haslington at all for a time or did it previously serve more of the village (as per the 38) and from October 2013 revert to its current route (eg between Crewe Road and Slaughter Hill)?

pemma

Veteran Member
Network Warrington have cancelled their 23, 23A, 25A and 25B services from April but as yet no revision for the 47 registered despite withdrawal of Cheshire East funding, so maybe they'll keep the High Legh extension? If so a shame they haven't extended to Knutsford, given they'll no other services between High Legh and Knutsford when the 289 goes and it wouldn't cost much to extend.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Network Warrington have cancelled their 23, 23A, 25A and 25B services from April but as yet no revision for the 47 registered despite withdrawal of Cheshire East funding, so maybe they'll keep the High Legh extension? If so a shame they haven't extended to Knutsford, given they'll no other services between High Legh and Knutsford when the 289 goes and it wouldn't cost much to extend.

"Cost" as I have emboldened in your posting being the operative word.

pemma

Veteran Member
"Cost" as I have emboldened in your posting being the operative word.

Yes. However, it seems they have the vehicle + driver available between a morning and afternoon school run, while adding a Knutsford extension would not require an additional vehicle or the prevent the existing driver taking statutory breaks. Therefore the extra cost is really the diesel burned between going from High Legh to Knutsford and back which shouldn't require that many passengers to recoup.

pemma

Veteran Member
There was a poorly sounding Streetlite on the 300 route this morning. I thought it wouldn't last until the end of the day - it hasn't it's been replaced by a Solo SR.

Established Member
Macclesfield bus station will be closed on Sundays and Bank Holidays from April 1st. All remaining buses (38,5,6,58 - 2 buses in practice) will use Bay 9.

pemma

Veteran Member
Macclesfield Bus Station stand 9 offers the same standard of waiting facilities as Wilmslow Bank Square or Northwich Watling Street. Not every town has a bus station building!

pemma

Veteran Member
35 Warrington - Little Bollington - Altrincham service to be withdrawn following withdrawal of both Cheshire East and TfGM subsides.

pemma

Veteran Member
Where on the 88 route does the SystemOne become invalid?

Wilmslow Bank Square, despite it being beyond the GM boundary. See tickets page on D&G Bus website for confirmation, my phone won't let me post the link.

pemma

Veteran Member
It used to be that after contracts were awarded the number of bidders for each service and the winning bidder for each service and the value of each contract were made public. This time all Cheshire East have said is the total value of all new contracts is £6m and 11 operators (who are all SMEs) submitted bids.

6Gman

Established Member

Summer 2014 I think. I spent a lot of time visiting Leighton Hospital in August 2014 and I recall the liveried vehicles being prominent and new.

I also recall it serving the hospitals of both Crewe and N Staffs - which may have been a source of some confusion. "Is this the hospital bus?"

jfollows

Established Member
Do you remember the down-at-heel bus station we once had that was near the railway station?
I remember it well; I used it daily from around January 1977 until 1980 to get from Bollington to Manchester and back. It was perfectly located for my needs; I used to get the 16:23 from Manchester to Macclesfield and probably caught the 16:45 bus to Bollington two times out of three. On the third occasion, I agree, the bus station wasn't that interesting a place to wait even for 15 minutes so I used to walk along Hibel Road and catch the 17:00 departure en route.

pemma

Veteran Member
All High Peak services suspended in Cheshire and Greater Manchester.

Howards have suspended the 27 service - not sure why as A537 is open between Knutsford and Macclesfield and Arriva are operating 130 services. If it's a problem serving Over Peover they could miss out that section and most passengers wouldn't be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.