East Cheshire Bus News

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by 323235, 10 May 2013.

1. 323235

323235 Established Member

Not currently mentioned on here but Cheshire East have started passenger usage surveys on funded bus services presumibly in advance of next years funding cuts.

2. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

There was one on a 88 bus I travelled on the other week but the person doing it was recording responses on a tablet which had an interface in D&G Bus colours. She had a his-vis jacket with some branding on which I didn't recognise - not D&G, TSS or Cheshire East council. I heard her asking other people if they use the bus on Saturdays and Sundays (despite the route not running on Sundays) but she only asked me if I used it at the weekend.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2017
  3. WelshBuses93

WelshBuses93 Member

There was also 2 on the 289 service yesterday.

4. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

If the 289 bus to Northwich was hourly I might use it. It has the disadvantage of being a longer journey time over the train but the railway station in Northwich is not centrally located.

5. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

The Department for Work and Pensions has launched a consultation in to closing Wilmslow Job Centre and for services to transfer to an expanded Macclesfield Job Centre. DWP has looked at the 130 bus and see it as an adequate option for getting between Wilmslow and Macclesfield. However, DWP has overlooked that Knutsford Job Centre closed many years ago with services transferred to Wilmslow Job Centre. I've heard a rumour that revenue on the subsided 88 service taken from job seekers can be over £1,000 a week and most of the usage between 10am and 3pm are job seekers and ENCTS pass holders. Whether the 27 service will get the revenue lost by the 88 service also is unclear as DWP say the maximum travelling time by public transport should be 35 minutes and 27 bus services take up to 50 minutes.

I bet Arriva will be pleased if the plans get approved - nice boost in off-peak usage on the 130 route between Wilmslow and Macclesfield for them!

6. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Streetlite ran the 10:15 300 D&G service today. A late running 10:45 service was operated by a MCV Evolution which has a faulty rear destination display. Unusual for a bus swap to happen on the 300 route mid-morning.

7. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Local councillors are to discuss the issue regarding closing Wilmslow Job Centre including the effect on local transport next Monday.

The Labour councillors on Cheshire East council have criticised the council's passenger surveys as they haven't been used to find out about existing habits and not how to get more patronage.

8. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

At a council meeting on Monday it was suggested the 27 service needed enhancing but that other services, such as the 300 evening service, could see their funding cut next year.

Unfortunately, some councillors have the opinion that the only reason for bus subsides is because not enough people use the bus services. Nothing to do with the bus services not running at times when people would use them or trying to attract people to use public transport.

I remember when the 38 seater Wright Cadets were used on an hourly 27 service and they got almost full at peak times. Yet the service reduction and increased fares are part of the reason why passenger numbers on that route are so much lower now.

9. ag51ruk

ag51ruk Member

Just as a follow up to this one, D&G are advertising for drivers for their new depot at Wincham near Northwich

10. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Someone said the Northwich depot was subject to the outcome of Cheshire West tendering. Does this mean they've won some new contracts? I understand Cheshire West have a number of new contracts starting in April.

I'd be surprised if the 88 and 300 don't get operated from the new depot as Wincham is much closer to Knutsford, Wilmslow and Altrincham than Crewe.

11. 323235

The commercial 378 service is reportidly being withdrawn between Wilmslow and Grove Lane in April.

12. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    I wonder how that news will be received in the Colshaw Farm Estate, as the 378 offers the estate residents a direct bus link to Stockport.

13. 323235

It is certainly another blow for East Cheshire - Greater Manchester bus travel - I'm not sure what action Cheshire East Council are proposing, as there has been no information from them about it at this stage - I found out by reading the GMCA meeting papers.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2017
  14. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

That service is usually a double decker and the number of passengers on it leaving Wilmslow is on a par with the subsided 200 service which is usually operated by a 29 seater Enviro 200.

15. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

The most likely option is they do nothing.

If they do award a contract they'll be complications as Arriva provide a commercially operated service between Wilmslow and Colshaw Farm and Stagecoach will continue to provide a commercial service between Grove Lane and Stockport.

16. Paul Sidorczuk

It is a fair distance from the Colshaw Farm estate to Grove Lane, that sees Handforth in-between those two areas, which will also now lose its direct bus service to Stockport. I know there is a rail service from Handforth to Stockport, but Handforth station is not really useful for those who live a very long way from that station, even allowing for the cost of the rail travel.

17. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

There were some complaints from Holmes Chapel when it lost it's limited service to Knutsford (which was one return journey on Tuesdays and Fridays.) However, Cheshire East's response was there's a train between Holmes Chapel and Chelford and a bus between Chelford and Knutsford so there's no need for a bus between Holmes Chapel and Knutsford.

18. Paul Sidorczuk

Interesting as this is, it does not address my query that there will be no bus services from the Handforth border to Grove Lane. Are they not proposing to build a new large housing estate on the other side of the A34 by-pass in that same area?

19. Greybeard33

Greybeard33 Established Member

The 312 Stockport to Handforth Dean, which is a TfGM tendered service, runs hourly from the Handforth border on Wilmslow Road along Stanley Road to Earl Road, thence through the Stanley Green Industrial Estate. It is only 400m from Earl Road across the bypass to Grove Lane.

Regarding the 378 curtailment, the TfGM report says officers are to monitor patronage data and keep the service under review.

20. rich.davies

rich.davies Member

Do any bus services still serve Burwardsley nr tattenhall? Cant get any sense from Cheshire East and Traveline websites

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk