• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redmike

Post 1986 North Western never ran in Macclesfield. After Crosville split, the routes went to Bee Line who kept the Crosville livery in Macclesfield and ran as C-Line. C-Line then became a separate company before becoming part of Midland Red North in 1993. The Macclesfield depot was then passed to Stevensons in 1994 before that operation was absorbed by Arriva.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Post 1986 North Western never ran in Macclesfield. After Crosville split, the routes went to Bee Line who kept the Crosville livery in Macclesfield and ran as C-Line. C-Line then became a separate company before becoming part of Midland Red North in 1993. The Macclesfield depot was then passed to Stevensons in 1994 before that operation was absorbed by Arriva.

Post 1986 North Western definitely operated the Macclesfield to Knutsford service for a short period in something like 1994, before it passed to Stephensons. Prior to that it had been a Starline Travel route but I think the route transferred to North Western before North Western acquired Starline.

Dentonian

Established Member
M/c Corporation Transport used to add an "x" suffix for short workings, e.g. 210x for trolleybuses from M/c to Denton to distinguish them from services running the full 210 route to Gee X.

I was thinking more post de-reg, but even then, these were simple/logical suffixes to the main service number.

Dentonian

Established Member
I think there's some crossed wires here. Routes were passed from Stockport based NWRCC to Crosville but then Crosville routes passed to a new NWRCC based in Aintree. The Macclesfield depot and routes didn't go straight from Crosville to Stephensons, they went from Crosville to Aintree based NWRCC (who later became Arriva North West) to Stephensons (who were later acquired by Arriva Midlands North.) What I was saying is I thought it was Aintree based NWRCC who introduced the 130, with it then passing to Stephensons and then Arriva as 130.

NWRCC (or was it C-Line) didn't introduce the 130. It continued after the (proper) NWRCC was split between SELNEC & Crosville, by those two operators. I remember in my formative working days (1981 ish), walking round the corner from Birchfields Road depot (now an Asda) onto Kingsway and regularly catching a Leyland National 2 demonstrator that Crosville had at the time...... IIRC, Crosville tended to run 130s and GMT ran 129s, but I'm sure it wasn't that clear cut.

Statto

Established Member
NWRCC (or was it C-Line) didn't introduce the 130. It continued after the (proper) NWRCC was split between SELNEC & Crosville, by those two operators. I remember in my formative working days (1981 ish), walking round the corner from Birchfields Road depot (now an Asda) onto Kingsway and regularly catching a Leyland National 2 demonstrator that Crosville had at the time...... IIRC, Crosville tended to run 130s and GMT ran 129s, but I'm sure it wasn't that clear cut.

Seem to remember Macclesfield depot running as C-Line in the post D-Reg, but may have been owned by the 1986 NWRCC, NWRCC owned Winsford depot after buying Crosville, Winsford did trade as North Western think there was a Warrington depot as well under NWRCC.

pemma

Veteran Member
It seems from 22nd July D&G are either withdrawing most of their commercial services (across both Staffordshire and Cheshire) and the commercial services that do remain will see the number of journeys reduced. The 12E, 78, 87 and 88A are those withdrawn altogether.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
It seems from 22nd July D&G are either withdrawing most of their commercial services (across both Staffordshire and Cheshire) and the commercial services that do remain will see the number of journeys reduced. The 12E, 78, 87 and 88A are those withdrawn altogether.
So the 88A wasn't the roaring sucess they wanted it to be? Is it going back to the daytime mon-fri only 300 that Cheshire East told them to do or are Longridge residents being made to "suck it up and deal with it"?

pemma

Veteran Member
So the 88A wasn't the roaring sucess they wanted it to be? Is it going back to the daytime mon-fri only 300 that Cheshire East told them to do or are Longridge residents being made to "suck it up and deal with it"?

Much worse. Cheshire East are going to allow them to run an up to hourly 88 service via Longridge which will leave the stops on Mobberley Road unserved, except for the 188 service in school term time only.

pemma

Veteran Member
With this as the new timetable: http://dgbus.co.uk/assets/88,188_2018-07-22.pdf for those living in Knutsford with a job with fixed 9-5 hours in either Macclesfield or Wilmslow it seems the choice is now move jobs, change where you live or get a car.

In fairness to D&G it's Cheshire East's responsibility to look at doing something if a commercial bus service is withdrawn but as we know from the Macclesfield-Knutsford service that seems to be a case of 'do as little as possible.'

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
With this as the new timetable: http://dgbus.co.uk/assets/88,188_2018-07-22.pdf for those living in Knutsford with a job with fixed 9-5 hours in either Macclesfield or Wilmslow it seems the choice is now move jobs, change where you live or get a car.

In fairness to D&G it's Cheshire East's responsibility to look at doing something if a commercial bus service is withdrawn but as we know from the Macclesfield-Knutsford service that seems to be a case of 'do as little as possible.'
Whilst their executives haul in 6 figure salaries every year.

Martin2012

Have noticed that the 38 is also down to change in July and will have a couple of Sunday journeys removed. Specifically it seems the 0945 journey from Congleton to Crewe and 1820 journey from Macclesfield to Crewe are both being removed. In addition the 1635 departure from Crewe looks to be terminating at Congleton?

I always thought this service was supported by Cheshire East rather than being commercially operated by D&G. Have I been wrong on that or has the service gone from being supported to being commercial? Or are the journeys that are being withdrawn the ones that are commercial?

On a slightly seperate topic would I be right in thinking that at one time there were later journeys on the 38 route on a sunday? Does anyone happen to know whenabouts these got removed and was that a commercial decision or the result of funding reductions?

I have previously lived in areas covered by the 12E and 38 routes so although I have never had the opportunity to use them, am interested to find out what goes on with them.

pemma

Veteran Member
Cheshire East don't fund any Sunday or BH services anymore. While their consultation document talked about Sunday services remaining on some routes, those were the routes which were run commercially at the time.

pemma

Veteran Member
What are the positions held by those five officers stated above and what are their main responsibilities?

Seems there were actually 20 employees receiving over £100,000 in total (including things like bonuses and pension contributions) including the Chief Executive and Health Director.

Nantwich News said:
Cheshire East Council has more employees earning more than £100,000 than any other local authority in the north west, new figures have shown

The TaxPayers’ Alliance has published its Town Hall Rich List for 2018 – showing the number of employees that received more than £100,000 in 2016-17.

And Cheshire East Council came out on top of the list for the north west, with 20 employees receiving the cash.

Mike Suarez, chief executive, was the top earner still employed by the end of the 2016-17 financial year.

He received £226,180 – including a salary of £182,353, £156 expenses and an employer pension contribution of £43,730.

The employee who received the highest amount of money in 2016-17 was the director of public health, who was made redundant in August 2016.

The health director received compensation of £296,738, in addition to salary earnings of £67,735.

The director of public health is not named in Cheshire East Council’s audited accounts for 2016-17, but the person who held that position in 2015-16 was Heather Grimbaldeston.

https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2018/...st-league-for-staff-earning-more-than-100000/

Dentonian

Established Member
Last edited:

gordonthemoron

Established Member

OTH the services from Macclesfield to/from Radbroke Hall are better than I remember

pemma

Veteran Member
OTH the services from Macclesfield to/from Radbroke Hall are better than I remember

They're reinstating a post-6pm service from Knutsford to Macclesfield which was lost when the 27 service got merged in to the 88. However, they've increased the journey times between both Radbrooke Hall and Knutsford and between Radbrooke Hall and Macclesfield at peak times, despite skipping Ollerton and Over Peover at peak times and the biggest gap between services is increased.

6Gman

Established Member
Seems there were actually 20 employees receiving over £100,000 in total (including things like bonuses and pension contributions) including the Chief Executive and Health Director.

https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2018/...st-league-for-staff-earning-more-than-100000/

The original comment was about "salaries" which is why I quoted the lower figure.

Given the chaotic state of Cheshire East I suspect the figures are distorted by their constant cycle of suspensions/ dismissals/ resignations and miscellaneous pay-offs.

Established Member
The sunday 38 went commercial during one of the previous 2011-2013? bus reviews if I remember correctly.

With regards to the 88 , i'm glad they've retimed the 0830 from Macclesfield (previously 0825) to 0820, as it lost all the commuters overnight when they made it run later and has often been late leaving Macclesfield. Likewise the D&G 130 lost all its commuters too when Arriva stopped running the 082? from Macclesfield, I suspect they get the earlier Arriva journey or train.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
It always amazes me how inept the timetablers are! If you loose the commuters, you have lost the service, they know what time most people need to get there. I do sometimes think the ideal to which D&G strive, is to run no buses at all!

pemma

Veteran Member
The sunday 38 went commercial during one of the previous 2011-2013? bus reviews if I remember correctly.

With regards to the 88 , i'm glad they've retimed the 0830 from Macclesfield (previously 0825) to 0820, as it lost all the commuters overnight when they made it run later and has often been late leaving Macclesfield. Likewise the D&G 130 lost all its commuters too when Arriva stopped running the 082? from Macclesfield, I suspect they get the earlier Arriva journey or train.

A lot of the punctuality problems on the 88 relate to scheduling driver changeovers at Knutsford Bus Station (when the timetable only allowed for the bus to be stopped there for 2 minutes) and the use of Wright Streetlite buses, which either have poorer acceleration or drivers drive them more cautiously due to their rattly nature. You could see Solos running on time to the minute on one service and then a Streetlite 5 minutes behind schedule on the next, if that was one where their was a driver change that 5 minutes became 10 minutes.

I'm disappointed with the Knutsford bound journeys on the new 88 timetable - there's still a long gap in the morning and they've now created a long gap in the evening, meaning those who finish work at 5pm now have to wait over an hour for a bus. It was one thing having the bus at 17:45 rather than 17:15 as that allowed those who finish work at 17:30 still to catch it without needing an additional journey but I'm sure those who live in Knutsford and work 9-5 in Macclesfield aren't going to be thrilled with the prospect of getting home almost 12 hours after leaving (allowing for time to get to and from the bus stop.) I think there's similarities with the timetable High Peak introduced when they tried to run the 27 commercially - they are neglecting the commuters travelling in one direction in favour of those travelling in the others are probably wrongly presume the commuters they are neglecting will still use the bus regardless.

Established Member
Yes it seems to be an issue on a lot of the subsidised services , not giving a reasonable balance of peak journeys.

I say reasonable as an equal balance is much more difficult to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.