• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheshire Bus News (was East Cheshire Bus News)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Was it Stotts that currently operated the 391, and didn't it just recently change to Stotts too?

Service 312 will no longer run after the 25th July. Instead Handforth Dean will be served by the 378, 379 & 42C... all new buses that will be extended slightly

Service 42C was created as a part replacement for the 130 as TfGM have realised that depriving the Manchester boundary without the service has been a massive issue. This will be an every 60 minute service Monday - Saturday (like the 130 was when journeys went to Manchester before the East Didsbury cut) It’s still a waste of time for the people of wilmslow and handforth

All routes These will go via Handforth Dean shopping centre (41C will start there and go to Manchester)

Service 378 is the same but extended along Stanley road to serve Handforth Dean & the estate in Heald Green left when the 312 goes. Service 379 is the same but in the oposite direction. These routes will also serve the Dairyground housing estate in Bramhall due to services 307/308 being withdrawn. (The LocalLink replacement also expires 25th July)

Flange Squeal

Established Member
What are Go Goodwins going to operate it with? They sold most of their buses and all of their operations to Diamond.
Today saw the first day in service of Enviro 200MMC YX20 OGV. It is white with orange skirt and Little Gem branding, with simple place name route branding above the windows and Cheshire East Council logos.

Bwsbro

Go Goodwins have three E200MMC for the new 391/392 service

YX20OGU/V/W. All vehicles are in a very attractive Little Gem branidng.

Flange Squeal

Established Member

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Thanks. I tried looking the other day and couldn't find any.

jfollows

Established Member
The 130 is now running through to civic centre at wythenshawe to give people tram
Access

Thank you for this.
Unfortunately the service only runs every 90 minutes, so there are only five daily services to/from Wythenshawe. My guess is that this allows the service to be run by two buses only, so that's understandable. But if it's not running even to an hourly schedule, it's hard to see how it will attract more than the most desperate or dedicated customers. I hope I'm wrong.

Honestly, I can't remember the service pattern and timings, despite looking at it more than twice. So what hope is there for anyone? If it were hourly, then perhaps .....? And even if I turned up at a bus stop in hope, and even more unlikely that someone has maintained the bus stop with a current timetable, I might then find I have to wait for 90 minutes, or at least at random for 45 minutes?

peterblue

No 'normal' everyday person is going to use that bus to Wythenshawe and then connect onto tram services. No normal person is going to go to the trouble of planning a good connection time at Wythenshaw to connect onto that service. They'd use a car or train.

It's a stupid idea and that extension won't get well used. With the new 42C going Manchester to Handforth every hour, why not just extend that further into Macclesfield via the 130 route for the people that -DO- wish to travel further on that route?

jfollows

Established Member
I recall that when Argos closed in Wilmslow there was a sign in the window "nearest store now in Wythenshawe" which made me laugh because neither I nor anyone I could think of who might go to the Wilmslow store would ever consider shopping in Wythenshawe instead. I've nothing against Wythenshawe, but Wythenshawe and Wilmslow are orthogonal worlds.
There may be hospital traffic on the revised 130 service, though, although that'd be more likely if it went to the hospital rather than just to Wythenshawe shops - perhaps because that'd require an additional bus because of the tight turnaround timings.
Personally I think that a more regular hourly service, albeit only as far as Handforth, was better than a 90-minute frequency, but presumably D&G will invest two buses into the service and found that the investment for the hourly Handforth service didn't pay.

markymark2000

On Moderation
No 'normal' everyday person is going to use that bus to Wythenshawe and then connect onto tram services. No normal person is going to go to the trouble of planning a good connection time at Wythenshaw to connect onto that service. They'd use a car or train.

It's a stupid idea and that extension won't get well used. With the new 42C going Manchester to Handforth every hour, why not just extend that further into Macclesfield via the 130 route for the people that -DO- wish to travel further on that route?
I can't see people using Wythenshawe to connect onto the trams but more for the shops and facilities it has. The closest decent sized town accessible by bus is Macclesfield which is upto an hour away. Wythenshawe is much closer and I would argue for the less well off who live in Cheshire East, the shops at Wilmslow are not viable and Macclesfield is quite a distance to travel. Hopefully the service remains in place for a while as that will built up confidence that the route could be there for the long run (which is more than can be said for other D&G services in the area (except tendered 88)

Jfollows, D&G haven't put the 130 upto normal times yet. Currently, it's 2 hourly so it's got a slight frequency increase so far and there could be another one depending on Wythenshawes usage.

jfollows

Established Member
Jfollows, D&G haven't put the 130 upto normal times yet. Currently, it's 2 hourly so it's got a slight frequency increase so far and there could be another one depending on Wythenshawes usage.
Thank you, that's a good observation. I think an hourly service once things return to "normal" would be good. Whether or not I want to go shopping in Wythenshawe doesn't mean that others won't, for sure.

Not everyone in wilmslow has access to a car. There is a whole selection of shops at civic centre that people would use given the opportunity. I cannot see anything bad about linking wilmslow and handforth to the shopping areas of heald green and wythenshawe and the interchange at civic centre And I’m a ‘normal person’. There a lots of onward bus services from there to lots of destinations also. Why would anyone want to slog all the way to Macc for shopping when the civic centre is ten minutes up the road.

jfollows

Established Member
No, there's nothing bad about extending the 130 to Wythenshawe, I have to remember that for some people it's a lifeline service and that although the 130 goes past the end of my road that many people who need it don't also have a railway station within easy walking distance that I do.
I used to need to attend a short outpatient appointment at Wythenshawe hospital about once a week, and this new service would help a little, however it's still pretty much a 3 hour round trip, hopefully made better if the service frequency increases.
Any additional bus connectivity is good, but I'd like now to have some stability with the 130 service, and I'm not currently optimistic. By which I simply mean a service which is consistent, reliable, and doesn't keep changing. This thread well documents the number of changes in the last couple of years.

Yes it’s very poor. Cheshire east seem to totally ignore this area bus wise. Yet they want to build virtually a new suburb on the MOD land opposite handforth dean. The three new services going to handforth dean are a waste of time. They need to be coming in to the towns and round the estates to make them work. If they subsidised a stable and reliable bus network people locally would use them once they had confidence in the Services. D & G try their best but there needs to a genuine effort by CeC to get on with TFGM and have services integrated. Much like places like glossop and new mills are. There are better bus services running through the peak villages than there are here.

And with regard to the civic centre shopping area. To have a large Asda, Iceland, Wilko and B & M ten minutes away without a Proper transport connection is crazy. People will use this service if it’s maintained and reliable

markymark2000

On Moderation
Yes it’s very poor. Cheshire east seem to totally ignore this area bus wise. Yet they want to build virtually a new suburb on the MOD land opposite handforth dean. The three new services going to handforth dean are a waste of time. They need to be coming in to the towns and round the estates to make them work. If they subsidised a stable and reliable bus network people locally would use them once they had confidence in the Services. D & G try their best but there needs to a genuine effort by CeC to get on with TFGM and have services integrated. Much like places like glossop and new mills are. There are better bus services running through the peak villages than there are here.
CEC has no will at all to improve public transport and haven't done since GHA went bust and all the marginal routes ceased and tender prices sky rocketed. They then found out the true cost of the bus network and gave up. Why prop up the bus network when you can spend the money on other projects which give the council a higher return over buses which I think they see as giving money away and getting zero back from them.

conjohn

Service 312 will no longer run after the 25th July. Instead Handforth Dean will be served by the 378, 379 & 42C... all new buses that will be extended slightly

Service 42C was created as a part replacement for the 130 as TfGM have realised that depriving the Manchester boundary without the service has been a massive issue. This will be an every 60 minute service Monday - Saturday (like the 130 was when journeys went to Manchester before the East Didsbury cut) It’s still a waste of time for the people of wilmslow and handforth

All routes These will go via Handforth Dean shopping centre (41C will start there and go to Manchester)

Service 378 is the same but extended along Stanley road to serve Handforth Dean & the estate in Heald Green left when the 312 goes. Service 379 is the same but in the oposite direction. These routes will also serve the Dairyground housing estate in Bramhall due to services 307/308 being withdrawn. (The LocalLink replacement also expires 25th July)

Stagecoach have been running E400H’s through Stanley Green business park under route 0 with staff members on board, which the 312 currently runs though en route to Handforth Dean. I’ve not seen a confirmation of operator yet but this may offer a hint.

edit: Stagecoach have indeed been confirmed as the operator:http://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/manchester/timetable-changes-26-july-2020

Last edited:

peters

On Moderation

Some people have been moaning to the media and their MP about the 130 no longer going to Manchester or connecting with another bus which goes to Manchester, even though both Wilmslow and Handforth have trains to Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.