• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Cab Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldieman

Hi folks,

I just wondered if anyone here knows whether East Coast have a cab ride policy for passengers who request it? The reason I ask is that I shall be travelling Peterborough to Kings Cross on Saturday and then returning so was planning to ask staff when I depart at the stations on the day.

If there is anyone here who works for EC and could perhaps put a word in it'd be gratefully appreciated! Having applied for a few trainee driver positions in the last few months it would be awesome to witness the job first hand. As a flying instructor looking for a new career on the tracks I understand that these things can be very hard to come by but thought I would ask anyway just in case!

Many thanks folks,

Baldieman.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

district

I do not know East Coast's exact policy but train cabs are safety critical enviroments and it is highly unlikely in my opinion that you will be highly unlikely to be allowed access to the cab. The access to cabs on the railway is restricted to only those who need to be there as unnessacary persons can cause distractions or could interfere with the running of the service.

Bellwater

Hi folks,

I just wondered if anyone here knows whether East Coast have a cab ride policy for passengers who request it? The reason I ask is that I shall be travelling Peterborough to Kings Cross on Saturday and then returning so was planning to ask staff when I depart at the stations on the day.

If there is anyone here who works for EC and could perhaps put a word in it'd be gratefully appreciated! Having applied for a few trainee driver positions in the last few months it would be awesome to witness the job first hand. As a flying instructor looking for a new career on the tracks I understand that these things can be very hard to come by but thought I would ask anyway just in case!

Many thanks folks,

Baldieman.

No chance mate. You could write to EC but I doubt you'd get a positive response.

I'd rather you didn't ask Train Staff for access to cabs either.

jonb

Established Member
As others have pointed out you will not be allowed into the cab by just asking on the day. I'd suggest writing to East Coast, you never know you may be lucky. However I would suspect they get a lot of requests so don't be surprised if your wish is declined.

If you are after a cab ride, why not try volunteering at a preserved railway? It's a good opportunity to witness railway operations first hand and you're more than likely to get access to cabs whilst on duty.

Hydro

Established Member
Am I being Naive here or would the OP not be treat as a security risk never mind a safety risk?

In case he nicks the drivers wallet? Good thinking. He'd have to be strong though. I hear those things can weigh upwards of 50kg on average.

BrianTheLion

In case he nicks the drivers wallet? Good thinking. He'd have to be strong though. I hear those things can weigh upwards of 50kg on average.

:D good one!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of the driver being overpowered in some way... like bad breath or something! :p

On a serious note though, shouldnt the cab of a train be treat in exactly the same way as an aeroplane cockpit?

Mr Spock

:D good one!!!

I was thinking more along the lines of the driver being overpowered in some way... like bad breath or something! :p

On a serious note though, shouldnt the cab of a train be treat in exactly the same way as an aeroplane cockpit?

Not sure that you are allowed in the cockpit of a plane any more.

Yew

Established Member

Ive been in one when the plane was grounded (my brother was in a wheelchair so they had to get a lift for him. and we sat chatting with the pilots whilst we waited. However this was A) on the ground and B) before 911

Wath Yard

Freghtliner, GBRf, Virgin are 3 TOCs/FOCs I know of who have very recently given cab rides as prizes for charity raffles or auctions, so there are no rules or laws forbidding it. However, just asking a driver for a cab ride probably doesn't stand much of a chance. It isn't 1983 any more.

GB

Established Member
Freghtliner, GBRf, Virgin are 3 TOCs/FOCs I know of who have very recently given cab rides as prizes for charity raffles or auctions, so there are no rules or laws forbidding it. However, just asking a driver for a cab ride probably doesn't stand much of a chance. It isn't 1983 any more.

The big difference is they are all structured, monitored and professionally organised.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
A traction inspector can authorise a cab ride for whoever he wants. You could write a letter to a TOC asking, you never know your luck. 99.999% the answer will be no because the only people who are in a position to help you out are not in a position to drop everything they are doing for half a day and sit in the cab with you. I'd say try your luck, but prepare to be disappointed.

Established Member
Try writing to them (the worse they can do is say no) as the old saying goes if you dont ask you dont get.

Lee_Again

I was lucky enough to enjoy a cab ride on an EC service from King's Cross to Leeds and return about 2 years ago. I was invited by the driver and we had a driver manager with us. There was also some paper work to complete. It took about 6 months to arrange.

Unless you know somebody I think your chances are very slim. You'll definately not get one just by asking on the day. The driver would be sacked on the spot.

As others have suggested, you could write to EC but don't hold your breath.

But if you're lucky, very lucky, you'll have an excellent experience. I'll never forget mine.

Lee

JoeGJ1984

Just out of interest, how would the people at Video125 and the other companies who sell driver's eye view/cab ride DVDs get access to the cab? By writing to the 'powers that be' at the TOCs I presume?

And does anyone know if the 'powers that be' ever get requests for cab rides from enthusiasts?

JoeGJ1984

I suppose they would be more accommodating though to the likes of Video125, etc.?

I believe its a no no on any UK or US registered aircraft or any aircraft in US or UK airspace however outside of this it depends on the individual company policy, the airlines home countrys policy and i guess the captain themselves. At least this is what i seem to remember from a conversation i had with an ex EC crew member who went to work for Silverjet and now BA.
As far as the cab ride goes, you have zero chance when asking on the day.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I suppose they would be more accommodating though to the likes of Video125, etc.?

I think Video 125 et al have to shell out quite a bit of money for the privilege. I would say TOCs would be more inclined towards professional companies.

No chance of getting a cab ride, you would need to get a driver manager to accompany you and even would have to undergo the relevant safety check!!
Personally I think it unbelievable you think you can turn up on the day and get one<(

RichmondCommu

Established Member

No thanks to Bin Laden thats a definite no no! Back in September 2000 our twins were invited into a Quantas cockpit between Perth and Sydney (with their dad of course!) It was an incredible act of kindness and something which I will never forget :)

DownSouth

Established Member
No thanks to Bin Laden thats a definite no no! Back in September 2000 our twins were invited into a Quantas cockpit between Perth and Sydney (with their dad of course!) It was an incredible act of kindness and something which I will never forget :)
I can trump that, I got to go on the flight deck of an Ansett plane only a month before it all went bust!

A-driver

Established Member

I believe 225 studios do it on contract as some TOCs (well I know mine does) use their videos for driver training so I would Imagen they have some kind of deal-he gets access to the cabs, they get x amount of copies of the film and he can flog the rest.

DownSouth

Established Member
50kg? Do they pay drivers in 10p coins these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.