• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast customer service vacancies...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's times like these that I wish I had a car as I'd probably have a punt at the Newcastle based job, but no car means I'm stuck with public transport which is a bit of an issue when shifts can start/end at silly o'clock.

FManc

Ouch. Thought the salary would be more than £6.22p/hr.......big difference when compared to Virgin.

Established Member
Using Spring Personnel..... £6.22 an hour - Disgusting.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was quite tempted to apply for one of these but perhaps not at 6.22/hour! Also, I would assume that because employment is done through an agency you won't get any of the perks such as free travel on East Coast?

FManc

Was quite tempted to apply for one of these but perhaps not at 6.22/hour! Also, I would assume that because employment is done through an agency you won't get any of the perks such as free travel on East Coast?

Probably not.
I'm a casual at Virgin [not agency staff tho] and don't get the perks...but I'm not complaining as the wage is very decent.

Aictos

Established Member
Was speaking to a East Coast colleague about this; East Coast have invented a new job role called Services Support Assistant which is dispatching trains, manning gatelines, doing assists etc....all on really low pay - you do get your travel passes but you're generally a dogsbody.

Good luck to anyone though interested in applying.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Was speaking to a East Coast colleague about this; East Coast have invented a new job role called Services Support Assistant which is dispatching trains, manning gatelines, doing assists etc....all on really low pay - you do get your travel passes but you're generally a dogsbody.

Good luck to anyone though interested in applying.

Asking about, AFAIK these jobs do not come with any safety critical training or responsibilities, thus the lower pay than station staff proper. As to if jobs like this could lead to anything better, we as anywhere, there has to be a vac to be filled!

387star

On Moderation
Was going to say surely the unions would kick up a stink and anyone who has a choice would refuse such work on the grounds of it being far lower than fellow TOCs.

Not quite sure how you can dispatch without it being safety critical?

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Not quite sure how you can dispatch without it being safety critical?

From what I understand, they won't be involved in despatch duties. The agency / gateline staff aren't.

charlie1310

East Coast did employ agency staff on the Gateline until the end of 2011, when the new Agency Workers regulations were to come into force, which would have resulted in the agency staff having to be paid and have the same conditions as East Coasts own Gateline employees.East Coast then brought in a new position of station support assistant, which the agency staff had to apply for.This new job is basically the same as what the agency staff were prieviously doing,but they were now East Coast employees.The only difference is that the new role is safety critical, as they are being trained to dispatch trains.The wages are still well below the East Coast gateline staff who were in place before the agency regs.came into force, although as now being East Coast employees, they do get the travel perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.