• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Drivers Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I normally travel with Virgin on WCML but have my first journey to Doncaster coming up with East Coast!..

I know the Glasgow Virgin drivers change at Preston and I was wondering what the Edinburgh East Coast men Route card is like? Do they do a trip to York then return in a shift?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

junglejames

Established Member
Change at Newcastle on the London trips. Route knowledge goes no further South usually.
They also do the Glasgow and Aberdeen runs as well.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Change at Newcastle on the London trips. Route knowledge goes no further South usually.
They also do the Glasgow and Aberdeen runs as well.

Cheers

Does that mean they would two runs to Newcastle in a shift then?

junglejames

Established Member
Cheers

Does that mean they would two runs to Newcastle in a shift then?

I think some turns may do, but not 100% sure now. A popular one used to be Edin- New- Glasgow- Edinburgh. But not many like that now with the reduction of Glasgow services.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I think some turns may do, but not 100% sure now. A popular one used to be Edin- New- Glasgow- Edinburgh. But not many like that now with the reduction of Glasgow services.

Any other input folks?

And how come it's a Newcastke driver that cover the chieftain?

SkinnyDave

Established Member
How long have Edinburgh guards/drivers not done Inverness? They used to not so long ago.

Not sure about guards I'm pretty sure it's Newcastle driver that covers chieftain, I'm looking to find out why that's the case.

Edinburgh Guards sign to York and Inverness.

The drivers, I assumed also signed to York, but I will bow to junglejames knowledge on the drivers.

Inverness is covered by the Newcastle lodge link for drivers, but by Edinburgh guards.

I don't know if there is any lodging required for Aberdeen services?

Ascot

Established Member

The drivers, I assumed also signed to York, but I will bow to junglejames knowledge on the drivers.

Inverness is covered by the Newcastle lodge link for drivers, but by Edinburgh guards.

Thanks for that.

SkinnyDave

Established Member

I didn't think there was a EC drivers depot at York..

I find the Inv setup weird but hey ho :D

There isn't a depot at York, but they do change crews (well guards/catering) there.

Aictos

Established Member

I'm positive there's a driver's lodge turn required for the Aberdeens, I know one of the Edinburgh based drivers and I'm sure he's told me before there are lodgings required for some Aberdeens.

junglejames

Established Member
I'm positive there's a driver's lodge turn required for the Aberdeens, I know one of the Edinburgh based drivers and I'm sure he's told me before there are lodgings required for some Aberdeens.

There are at least 2 lodging turns.
Without looking at the timetable, I think the 2nd one gets in on the last arrival, plays about with the set, then knocks off at stupid o clock! Signing back on mid to late afternoon.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
There are at least 2 lodging turns.
Without looking at the timetable, I think the 2nd one gets in on the last arrival, plays about with the set, then knocks off at stupid o clock! Signing back on mid to late afternoon.

Is that Edinburgh or Newcastle drivers?

Edinburgh.

Newcastle only go to Inverness. I might be wrong, but I am fairly certain that the Newcastle lodge link doesn't sign London either.

A-driver

Established Member
The lodge turn at Newcastle is both Inverness and Aberdeen. A Newcastle man works Newcastle to Edinburgh and has a break. He then works Edinburgh to Inverness with a break en route at one of the extended station stops. He then stays in an Inverness hotel and the next day passes to Aberdeen and works an the afternoon Aberdeen to Edinburgh, has a break then works to Newcastle. There is a second job with the early Aberdeen train from Leeds-Newcastle man drives it to Aberdeen from Edinburgh, passes to Inverness, stays in hotel and works the Inverness back down south.

I understand that Edinburgh have been trying to get the Inverness work back for a while but Newcastle are managing to keep hold of it.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
How does that make operational sense? Aberdeen and Inverness r a hundred miles apart.

Surely the Edinburgh men would be better covering both Aberdeen and Inverness?
:|

scotsman

Established Member
How does that make operational sense? Aberdeen and Inverness r a hundred miles apart.

Surely the Edinburgh men would be better covering both Aberdeen and Inverness?
:|

Doesn't matter who's on the turn - the minimum rest time exceeds the turn around time for the Chieftain. The only other option is to pass the Driver back to Edinburgh next morning

A-driver

Established Member
You can't work the down and up Inverness with one driver as there is less than 12 hours between the train arriving and departing hence the traveling to Aberdeen. I think that Newcastle hold the Inverness work as the diagram allows the break in the middle at Edinburgh. Plus it is historical and railways get so lost in tradition that very little makes sense!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Ah the Hidden Rules..

Still weird how it all works so an Edinburgh driver now mainly does Newcastle then now going by the other posts?

Cheers it's been interesting and baffling lol

A-driver

Established Member
I don't know for sure so may be wrong but I thought Edinburgh signed to Doncaster?

Scotrail84

Established Member
You can't work the down and up Inverness with one driver as there is less than 12 hours between the train arriving and departing hence the traveling to Aberdeen. I think that Newcastle hold the Inverness work as the diagram allows the break in the middle at Edinburgh. Plus it is historical and railways get so lost in tradition that very little makes sense!

What about a Saturday into Sunday ? The chieftain leaves later going south

A-driver

Established Member
Dunno about Saturday/Sunday, will depend on how much later it leaves-you don't just need 12 hours from arrival to departure but need 12 hours from when you book off to when you book on (probably about 30mins before departure, longer if the unit needs to be preped or anything). Plus is sensible to add in extra time to allow for delays on the inbound.

Jock

Lodging away from home depot, prior to me leaving the industry was 9hrs rest.

I cannot recall the reason why Newcastle drivers lodge north of Edinburgh aswell as Edinburgh men, however its historical, if memory serves it was to do the the policy of "creating jobs" that the unions adopted - I.e. If you want drivers to go there then open a depot. Though this attitude proved to go against the Edinburgh men, hence Newcastle getting the work.

I am unsure on that though, due my failing memory (that comes with old age!) Happy to be corrected otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.