• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast emergency stop video

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dunning

ive had a quick search and cant find this on here so forgive me if ive missed an original thread but have you seen this.

What happened when someone missed their stop at Darlington
1'44" in

[youtube]o3nQ2AuY6qM[/youtube]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
At least i had due cause when i pulled the cord. Apologies to anyone that was on the Whistler Finale railtour in 1985. See Note 2

Notes :
(1) 31225 used to avoid run-round and allow D200 to go for fuel.
(2) Train missed booked stop at station and had to reverse.
(3) D200 propelling.
(4) Carried a 'Whistler Farewell' headboard.

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/850309be.htm

The traincrew and stewards weren't too happy at first...but relented when it was pointed out the train had missed a booked stop.

Last edited:

Established Member
BTP are based at Darlington as well, so wouldn't have been too far away.

David Dunning

There is a little more to this story apparently , There's a piece in The Northern Echo tomorrow about it.
It will be on the Northern Echo website too.

tsr

Established Member
pretty amazing how quickly it stops considering how massive it is

Very true and generally an excellent thing, but in a situation like this, it also leaves staff very little time to react to the incident and get to the affected door. Imagine if the door had opened over the platform ramp, the man had then attempted to get out with no staff nearby to deter him, and thus fell and seriously injured himself (it could so easily happen...).

Though I guess with a train of this length it would be hard to react even if it could stop slowly for vandalism (but such a system obviously would be impossible to implement safely anyway).

Last edited:

cdonnigan

pure idiot should of been arrested and charged with endangering the safe operation of a train.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Let's wait a little more before voicing any anger since it has been pointed out in Post 12 that there is more to this story.

pjnathanail

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10698335.East_Coast_train_makes_emergency_stop_in_Darlington/

FOOTAGE has emerged of a mainline train making an emergency stop in a North-East station.

A passenger on East Coast’s 2.30pm Edinburgh to London service pulled the emergency door release as the train was leaving Darlington station on the afternoon of Friday, September 13.

An East Coast spokesman said the passenger had tried to get off the train when it stopped, but his path had been obstructed.

The incident was captured by a train enthusiast, who posted it on video sharing website YouTube.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So rather than 'forgetting' his stop he couldn't actually get to the doors in time to exit the train. Seems a little more reasonable, still somewhat extreme, but I'm not sure the 'flog him and hang him' approach is warranted anymore.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
So rather than 'forgetting' his stop he couldn't actually get to the doors in time to exit the train. Seems a little more reasonable, still somewhat extreme, but I'm not sure the 'flog him and hang him' approach is warranted anymore.
Do you know how many people say they "couldn't get to the doors in time"? Usually they're wearing earphones and its late at night and regularly it means a long walk home for them.

tony_mac

Established Member
a male passenger who tried to get off the train at Darlington station was obstructed in doing so by a group of oil rig workers

I think that train is the first connection from Aberdeen after the Friday morning 'dry' train, which may possibly give some insight into what may have happened on board.

Lockwood

I've had problems getting off of a train in the past due to some guy in a suit stood in the doorway looking out at the platform blocking the exit.
That's usually fixed by saying "Excuse me, please"

Rich McLean

Established Member
Its happened to me before on a full and standing Voyager. I asked the person infront of me and he refused.

I ended up having to get off at the other end at the next stop, and catch the next train back to where I was supposed to get off.

alastair

pure idiot should of been arrested and charged with endangering the safe operation of a train.

Oh dear,yet again on this forum the "Customer is always wrong " brigade leap into action without any idea of the facts which reportedly were:

“The man then alighted from the train when it came to a stand.

“He was interviewed by the train guard and station staff who established that his action in stopping the train was not in any way malicious.

“Delay to the train was fairly minimal – five minutes maximum - and there was no risk to passenger safety at any time.”

It is understood there may have been an exchange between the passenger and the oil rig workers resulting in him being unable to get off.

A British Transport Police spokeswoman confirmed that the incident had not been reported to officers.

It would seem that the staff involved do not share your opinion of the "idiocy" or otherwise of the unfortunate passenger.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do you know how many people say they "couldn't get to the doors in time"? Usually they're wearing earphones and its late at night and regularly it means a long walk home for them.

Plenty I'm sure. But, seeing as neither EC nor the BTP appear to be interested in taking the matter further after chatting to the fellow, I stand by my statement above.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Oh dear,yet again on this forum the "Customer is always wrong " brigade leap into action without any idea of the facts which reportedly were:

“The man then alighted from the train when it came to a stand.

“He was interviewed by the train guard and station staff who established that his action in stopping the train was not in any way malicious.

“Delay to the train was fairly minimal – five minutes maximum - and there was no risk to passenger safety at any time.”

It is understood there may have been an exchange between the passenger and the oil rig workers resulting in him being unable to get off.

A British Transport Police spokeswoman confirmed that the incident had not been reported to officers.

It would seem that the staff involved do not share your opinion of the "idiocy" or otherwise of the unfortunate passenger.

Regardless, using the Emergency Stop cord to stop the train because he allegedly couldn't get past some people should still be considered misuse as it's not an emergency. You and the platform staff only have his word for it that he had an exchange with the oil rig workers that prevented his exit

I hope no one was injured as a result as the train did come to a stand very quickly as mentioned by others.

Aldaniti

I'm gobsmacked that the newspaper concerned even categorise this as a news item. :shock:

Some bloke gets caught out for what appears to be a non-malicious reason, doesn't do the best thing in pulling the cord, and is then 'interviewed' - I guess the rag concerned means 'spoken to' - and sent on his way. End of story. In other news today, indicating that Autumn is almost here, a leaf fell of a tree.

Clip

Established Member
I've had problems getting off of a train in the past due to some guy in a suit stood in the doorway looking out at the platform blocking the exit.
That's usually fixed by saying "Excuse me, please"

Happens on the tube all the time. Funnily the other day this woman was stood on the Central line train by the doors that open at Stratford into the station but wouldnt budge to let a load of people on. Imagine her surprise when she tried to alight at Mile End - the other side doors, she was obstructed by the very people she done the same to so she had to carry on to Bethnal green. :lol: Karma

jon0844

Veteran Member
Did he pull the alarm, or use the emergency door release (which presumably means breaking a cover)?

If the former, I'm not sure it's an emergency but there are mitigating circumstances - namely being held up/blocked. I think a warning to both him and the people that stopped him getting off would suffice.

But to release the doors, which meant they partially open even when the train is moving (albeit braking) is something I'd have thought would be taken more seriously?

muttynut

Did he pull the alarm, or use the emergency door release (which presumably means breaking a cover)?

If the former, I'm not sure it's an emergency but there are mitigating circumstances - namely being held up/blocked. I think a warning to both him and the people that stopped him getting off would suffice.

But to release the doors, which meant they partially open even when the train is moving (albeit braking) is something I'd have thought would be taken more seriously?

i guess in the eyes of the guy trying to get off it was kind of an emergency to him .... its no big deal really and happens all the time in fact i would say once a month to me and i am an EC driver .... its the ppm that the tocs care about more ....

i guess the pass comm and emergency door release should be easier to identify for people that don't travel that often although it is clearly written what each one does

Lockwood

Happens on the tube all the time. Funnily the other day this woman was stood on the Central line train by the doors that open at Stratford into the station but wouldnt budge to let a load of people on. Imagine her surprise when she tried to alight at Mile End - the other side doors, she was obstructed by the very people she done the same to so she had to carry on to Bethnal green. :lol: Karma

I meant the guy in a suit with a lanyard, ID badge and T key :P

Aictos

Established Member
Doesn't mean to say the office had officers in it!
TP

Nor if they were actually available at the time... Peterborough has its own BTP office 5 mins away if that from the station, don't mean the BTP can just run across to deal with any situations though - proper guidelines mean a request having to go via BTP in Birmingham for them to then allocate the resources that are available.

At work for example, I don't use the BTP on the grounds that the BTP are vastly undermanned so request local police instead to attend which they can do.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Regardless, using the Emergency Stop cord to stop the train because he allegedly couldn't get past some people should still be considered misuse as it's not an emergency. You and the platform staff only have his word for it that he had an exchange with the oil rig workers that prevented his exit

I hope no one was injured as a result as the train did come to a stand very quickly as mentioned by others.

It may be misuse to you, but in his eyes it may have been genuine!

I'm sure on-board staff would be able to see how the workers were acting and then make a relatively good statement about whether it was true or not!

Also, whilst it does look sudden, it isn't really that harsh on board. You notice the braking, but it doesn't really send anyone/thing flying.

Established Member
Missing your stop is not an emergency, whatever the circumstances. Imagine if the train had travelled further out of the station, with no doors on the platform and quite likely fouling the junction to the mainline - then you'd have a much bigger problem, especially if the person then tried to open the door and get off.

Why not go to the guard, explain what has happened and make arrangements to travel back to Darlington from the next station (plus, the guard may have been able to arrange an unscheduled stop at Northallerton, to allow him to get off)?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
It may be misuse to you, but in his eyes it may have been genuine!

The excuse for everything at the moment. I'm sure not being able to change the TV channel so calling the police to do it for you may be in their eyes "genuine". As, I am sure, coughs and colds are enough of a "genuine" perceived emergency for an ambulance.

Status
Not open for further replies.