• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast - First Class Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all

I have treated my old man to a trip north in First Class. I know that you get complimentary food as part of the service, but on here people have said that it's not on all trains, and that the staff may try to fob you off with something cheap (like a sandwich).

He's on the 08:05 departure from Darlington, getting into Edinburgh at 10.20 on tomorrow. And is returning on the 16.30 arriving at 18.24 back into Darlington the on Monday.

Is anyone able to confirm a) what will be on offer on those trains (i.e could he have a cooked breakfast and a main meal on the way back), and b) what should he say if the staff offer him a sandwich.

As always, your assistance is greatly appreciated. Ta in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
I have treated my old man to a trip north in First Class. I know that you get complimentary food as part of the service, but on here people have said that it's not on all trains, and that the staff may try to fob you off with something cheap (like a sandwich).
This is what you should expect to be served. EC timetables are shaded to show which service is offered on particular trains.

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
He's likely to do well on the 1630 - I have done so in the past. Typically 2 or 3 drinks and 2 lots of food.

The breakfast is fairly standard and should be offered after Newcastle.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Just back off the 1530 EDB - KX , enjoyed a great baked spud, chili beef and salad - topped up with a sandwich run (ham and cheese , egg and cress + cake - after York) - loads of tea, water and could have had more red wine if required. Excellent on board staff.

£62.50 First advance - Quality.

Essexman

Established Member
Just back off 14.00 Edinburgh - London.
Afternoon tea only - no hot food. But I was allowed a second scone as they had loads left.
Arrived 45 minutes late and was overtaken by the 14.30 at Newcastle.
All for free though - on East Coast Rewards.
But would gladly have spent £15 on a hot meal at seat or in restaurant.

bnm

Established Member
But would gladly have spent £15 on a hot meal at seat or in restaurant.

Back in the day that would've got you an Aberdeen Angus Burger with side salad and fries, with At Seat Dining. And change for a beverage.

Now? Whatever EC deem is worthwhile and when they want to serve it to you. Yes, its complimentary, but you get what you're given.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Perhaps you don't have long enough left to live.
But if you do, this long thread is just what it says it is : New East Coast First Class meal service details.
Its the forum's second longest thread, and was a spin-off from another long thread before it: East Coast May 2011 catering "improvements" and another before that!

It ranges from reports of passengers who are impressed, thrilled and well fed, to reports from staff about the arrangements and offering, through to expressions of dissapointment, anger and hunger.

To answer on of your questions, on my own journey this evening, there was a Chef on board, but for some reason, when the catering crew came round with the trolley full of sandwiches, crisps, biscuits etc. I was distracted and said nothing (not like me!). After a brief silence, the host then explained that there was also a hot option tonight.

Now I knew that, but some people might have lept at the offer of a sandwich and (by the weird system of this 'or' that) they would have denied themselves the opportunity to be offered and served a cooked meal (or meal-ette as I would call it).

Last edited:

mralexn

i think they should have a basic first class offering, and serve food EMT style :P

Cheap and cheerful! :D

ie, Burger & Chips £4.95
Ham, Egg and chips £5.95

At that price, everyone will have one :P

(ill have 2 ;)

wintonian

Established Member
But if you do, this long thread is just what it says it is : New East Coast First Class meal service details.
Its the forum's second longest thread, and was a spin-off from another long thread before it: East Coast May 2011 catering "improvements" and another before that!

It ranges from reports of passengers who are impressed, thrilled and well fed, to reports from staff about the arrangements and offering, through to expressions of dissapointment, anger and hunger.

An excellent summing up of that thread I feel. :)

I myself will at long last get to try out the evening meal offer on the 17:00 from Kings Cross next week and shall endeavour to report back, perhaps in a similar style to last time with photos for comparison with last year’s daytime offer from Haymarket.

calc7

Established Member

To answer on of your questions, on my own journey this evening, there was a Chef on board, but for some reason, when the catering crew came round with the trolley full of sandwiches, crisps, biscuits etc. I was distracted and said nothing (not like me!). After a brief silence, the host then explained that there was also a hot option tonight.

Now I knew that, but some people might have lept at the offer of a sandwich and (by the weird system of this 'or' that) they would have denied themselves the opportunity to be offered and served a cooked meal (or meal-ette as I would call it).

This post is fantastic, and says everything better than I ever could.

lyesbkz

When this new offer first came out, the first 2 or 3 times I took the sandwich and genuinely didn't realise I could've asked for a hot option. Since it was not offered to me, I assumed it wasn't available for whatever reason. When it happened yet again I asked "is the hot option not available?" after which they explained that it was and took my order.

I'm not sure whether they do it deliberately or just don't think to mention it?

calc7

Established Member
I'm not sure whether they do it deliberately or just don't think to mention it?

Definitely the former.
I've had it a couple of times on Virgin, too. Which is strange because a certain train will almost certainly do just one dinner service, after which the extra food should be discarded. :s

lyesbkz

Now that I've learned how it works, sometimes I order food and I see people further down the coach (who are facing me) take sandwiches. Then when my hot food is delivered they look disappointed/surprised/confused :(

wintonian

Established Member
Now that I've learned how it works, sometimes I order food and I see people further down the coach (who are facing me) take sandwiches. Then when my hot food is delivered they look disappointed/surprised/confused :(

Ah you mean the evil stare, rather similar to the ones I sometimes get when jumping on a 450 to Waterloo at 7 o'clock in the morning wearing jeans and a t-shirt. ;)

amcluesent

Surely thread title should be 'food in first class', as of now it can only cause confusion...;)

Bungle73

On Moderation
When I came back from York in September I ordered a meal (crayfish and noodle salad) and when it came a woman sitting a little further up the coach turned round and had a look. At the time I assumed she just wanted to see what sort of thing you get, but now I'm wondering if she was looking because she didn't realise you could anything other than sandwiches.

I'm 90% satisfied with the FC offering. The missing 10% is because on my last trip I tried to order a meal, and all they had left was sandwiches (this was boarding at Newark North Gate on a service that had come from Edinburgh though); they also started clearing away the cups etc. a little early for my liking.

calc7

Established Member
When I came back from York in September I ordered a meal (crayfish and noodle salad) and when it came a woman sitting a little further up the coach turned round and had a look. At the time I assumed she just wanted to see what sort of thing you get, but now I'm wondering if she was looking because she didn't realise you could anything other than sandwiches.

I'm 90% satisfied with the FC offering. The missing 10% is because on my last trip I tried to order a meal, and all they had left was sandwiches (this was boarding at Newark North Gate on a service that had come from Edinburgh though); they also started clearing away the cups etc. a little early for my liking.

What do you think about how formulaic it is? Ie that you will only get offered something after leaving London, York and Newcastle, with not a sniff of service inbetween?

Bungle73

On Moderation
What do you think about how formulaic it is? Ie that you will only get offered something after leaving London, York and Newcastle, with not a sniff of service inbetween?

TBH I've only ever boarded at KGX, York or Newark North Gate (I was offered food after Newark), so it's worked out ok for me. I don't recall how often the food trolley came round during my journeys; I do know that they came round offering drinks very often though.

Status
Not open for further replies.