• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayne98

I have been allocated Coach: M Seat: 01A

I have looked online and can't seem to find where that seat is? I've never been first class before, but i know in the standard coach usually those numbers are kept for a disabled person.

What happens if i'm in that seat and i have to give it up? I don't want to have paid extra to be told i have to move as there is no room left!

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seat 1 is the very first seat at the very front/rear (depending if you are going north or south) on a electric mark 4 train. It is not a priority seat, they are at the other end of the coach.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The chances of their being no other seat available in first class on East Coast are remote to none existent so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Essexman

Established Member
I have been allocated Coach: M Seat: 01A

I have looked online and can't seem to find where that seat is? I've never been first class before, but i know in the standard coach usually those numbers are kept for a disabled person.

What happens if i'm in that seat and i have to give it up? I don't want to have paid extra to be told i have to move as there is no room left!

Thanks

Coincidentally I was allocated that seat when I booked an Advance on 9.03 to to Leeds yesterday. Tried to change it to Quiet Coach but EC computer wouldn't let me.

Established Member
On that note, I've never understood why priority seats are made reservable. Surely it defeats the point of having a reservation if you may have to give the seat up, or defeats the point of having a priority seat if it's reserved in advance?

island

Veteran Member
Coincidentally I was allocated that seat when I booked an Advance on 9.03 to to Leeds yesterday. Tried to change it to Quiet Coach but EC computer wouldn't let me.

That means you had the last seat at that fare.

Essexman

Established Member
That's interesting - is it the seat or the fact I couldn't change it that tells you it was last fare at the price?
I paid about £55 yesterday. Today cheapest is £67.50. Friday it was £44.40 but I didn't get round to booking.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The fact you couldn't change it. The last fare in each tier cannot have a different seat chosen by the user.

Butts

Veteran Member
The fact you couldn't change it. The last fare in each tier cannot have a different seat chosen by the user.

Thats interesting to know as that has happened to me a few times - not that I make a habit of purchasing the cheapest fares :oops:

I don't quite understand the rationale behind this feature of the booking system.

I will just sit somewhere else anyway :p

Lad Brookes

I'm guessing that it might be something along the lines of it reserving a new ticket from the same quota for the new seat, while keeping the other one in the basket, which is then automatically discarded once the new seat is chosen.
Therefore if there is no further available quota of the same ticket type, it cannot start the process.

Pure conjecture on my part, of course!

calc7

Established Member
Either way, another one of these intricacies that allows us wily clued-up folk to get an even better deal than we otherwise would. ;)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
For the OP's information, seat maps for East Coast trains are available here.

M01 is a Priority Seat where it exists.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The chances of their being no other seat available in first class on East Coast are remote to none existent so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

You have clearly never travelled on either the 1700 and 1800 ex Kings Cross services, they often have 100% load on them (not help in the case of the 1700 by the fact it is a HST and passengers for the North would rather use it than the 1630 because of the catering differences)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You have clearly never travelled on either the 1700 and 1800 ex Kings Cross services, they often have 100% load on them

So two out of how many services? Like I said the chances are remote that the OP will be unable to find a different seat ;)

Failed Unit

Established Member
So two out of how many services? Like I said the chances are remote that the OP will be unable to find a different seat ;)

I know the poster is on an electric service, but you may find first class full on quite a few HST operated services. The 1000, 1100 (E), 1200, 1300 and 1400 and 1600 I have also noticed full in first class in the past. This isn't Virgin you know ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Fair enough, I bow to you're superior experience! I've only come across first class that was full once on my travels but admittedly I don't travel as much as some on here.

jayne98

Thanks for all the replies, I'm travelling from Newcastle to Kings Cross if that's any help to what train.

The journey is just over 3 hours, does this mean I get as many drinks as I want? And do they come to me or do I get up?

Thanks

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
As Newcastle - Kings Cross is my most regular journey, I can probably assist.

There is a separate, and very long thread here, called East Coast First Class Service which may answer many questions.
You will be served at your seat. Staff will attend to you while passsing through London, serving drinks, snacks and if there is a meal offer, taking orders for hot food.
Depending on the calling stations and destination (and a few unpredictable factors), they will probably come round again after Grantham (1hr) and or York (2 hrs).
If you require attention in the meeantime, you will be able to ask.

Bungle73

On Moderation
They come round with tea and coffee shortly after leaving every station. Food and cold/alcoholic drinks less often.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and there should be a menu on your table explaining what's available. Last time I caught a train back from Newcastle though they didn't put the menus out until the train had started leaving the station. This was on a train that was starting there though.
On that note, I've never understood why priority seats are made reservable. Surely it defeats the point of having a reservation if you may have to give the seat up, or defeats the point of having a priority seat if it's reserved in advance?

I don't think some are. I'm just booking a couple of tickets on EC's site right now and some of the priority seats are showing as unavailable, even though tickets for that date have only just become available. They weren't available last time I booked tickets either (and didn't have reservation slips on the train), so I'm quite sure it's not just other people being quick off the mark.

CC 72100

Established Member

I've always wondered how that works. I think you can be reserved in priority seats on FGW and XC, but as you point out, it's hardly reserved if you have to give it up, especially when (as FGW don't have a seat selector) you were lumbered with it in the first place

Bungle73

On Moderation
EC's seat selector isn't working!! I'm trying to change my seats and it keeps telling they aren't available!
WTF won't it let me select my seats?? Which ever one I try I get an unavailable message! As far as I can see there aren't any other reservations on it atm so it's not that they've gone.

I'm not travelling until October.
It seems to be just this particular train (12:30 KGX to YRK on the 15th of October). On the other train (return 19th October 16:01) I can select seats ok. What's going on?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The only reason that I can think of is that you've got the last ticket in that tier of advance fares. Though it it seems a bit unlikely that far in advance I admit...

Status
Not open for further replies.